TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TiredBrownEyes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vanessa

Advice please! - January 9th 2011, 02:24 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

At my school there are two teachers and a counselor( that I'm trying to avoid with my life) that know about my self harm. However the teachers don't know where and such. I currently self harm on my arms, which I know isn't the smartest place if I want to hide it.

Anyways, on thursday my bio teacher, who has no knowledge of anything concerning my personal issues (in a lack of a better word), told us that next week we'd be doing a blood pressure test and learn how to read it and stuff. It would have been taken around our arm, told to wear shortsleeves underneath a sweater, all that jazz. I got nervous, but didn't say anything. I figured I'd talk to him on the friday about not being able to do it.

Friday rolls around, and I'm a bit nervous. Then I get worse when I ask my friend when we were doing it again. She told me that we were doing it that day, possibly after the test we were having. I'm nervous, feeling a bit sick and can't sit down. My bio teacher walks out, carrying all the stuff for the blood pressure test. I start shaking a bit, feeling like I'm going to throw up, and ask my teacher to talk with him privately in the hall, while having my friends worry about me.

I start to tell my teacher, who kinda intimidates me xD, that I can't do that lesson. But, being the blubbering fool I am and because of my nerves, I start crying and feeling really dizzy. My teacher was totally cool about it, telling me that I didn't have to tell him why and he tried to calm me down. But I was feeling sick and asked to go lay down in the little 'sick room' we have.

ANYWAYS. That's the story, and I'm completely stressed out about it right now. I want to talk to one of my teachers, ask his advice, but I feel like I'm bothering him. And there's always the chance that he's late or has his classroom door closed in the mornings. I don't want to let another teacher in, but I have a feeling he is going to want to talk about it, or something. I don't know. I start to shake a bit whenever I think about what's going to happen, and my chest hurts. Which is annoying.

So, I really am worrying about Monday. Not only do I have a massive presentation I have to do (which I may not even be able to, since I'm nowhere near being done it), a child's book I have to hand in, I have to frigging worry about they bad way I handled friday. So, should I talk to my teacher and ask his advice? Try to explain a bit to my bio teacher? I don't bloody know what to do. Its the first time SH has actually prevented me from doing something in school. I am so frustrated with myself right now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: Advice please! - January 9th 2011, 02:37 AM

That sounds totally petrifying. I guess my advice would be to talk to the teacher you trust. I'm sure your not bothering him. It's up to you if you want to tell your bio teacher or not. Don't feel you have to. If he said you didn't have to do it, I'm sure he'll stick with that. Don't feel bad about what happened though. You're struggling with something really difficult and although school is still a priority, it's one little lab that, in the interest of your privacy, you opted out of. That's okay. Try to relax and let Friday be in the past.

Just Keep Breathing

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: Advice please! - January 9th 2011, 02:46 AM

Awww. It is so nice of him to just say "Don't worry about it, its fine." Many teachers would want to know more. If you want to talk to him about it, go ahead. You will not be a bother to him in any way. You are asking for help and thats great. Don't feel bad about Friday ether, there isn't a reason to. Its in the past now and we can't go backwards, only forwards. Everything will be okay. *hugs*

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: Advice please! - January 9th 2011, 03:06 AM

I'm quite sure that your not bothering him, and seeing as you trust him it is probably a really good idea to talk to him. It sounds like you could do with stopping running. Running away from these teachers and the counsellor is only going to cause you more stress. Talking about different things plus being more open may enable them to be more supportive and flexible in terms of your lessons. When I was at school and quite ill with my eating disorder I got to skip the lessons we were doing BMI and blood pressure and stuff in.. if they don't know, they can't accomodate your needs.

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TiredBrownEyes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice please! - January 9th 2011, 03:36 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm going to talk to the teacher I trust. I already half know what he's going to say, but it'll make me feel a bit better before I go into bio class. I figure I'm going to have to talk to my bio teacher about it, at least to a point. I don't want to let him in completely, my parents got irritated with me when they found out I was talking with my other teacher.

With exams coming up, everyone's busy, especially the guidance office. But I was told I could go up there whenever I needed to, and I know I need to apologize to my counsellor, but I might wait until after exams for that. Seeing as how I always end up being there longer than I'm supposed to if I go up there to talk. But I agree, I need to stop running away from people that are trying to help.

Thank you guys for your help. *hugs*

(#6 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: Advice please! - January 9th 2011, 03:48 PM

im sure he won't think you're bothering him, infact he'll probably feel happy you trust in him and that will encourage him to help you more. They are all there to help you luvi, so don't avoid the poeple who know about your situation. They do care! so it's a good thing to take that care from the ones who give it..x

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TiredBrownEyes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice please! - January 9th 2011, 11:43 PM

Yes, you're right. I just need to shove that irriational fear that I'm bugging them away. I'll talk to him before period 1 tomorrow, as long my bus isn't late.

Still have to admit I'm nervous as heck though. "

(#8 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Advice please! - January 10th 2011, 01:05 AM

Hey, glad to hear your going to tell him, as running away is never the best answer.

One thing I'm curious, do your parents know? Since your 16, it may be the schools responsibility (the teachers..) to report it. Since self harm is a very touchy subject, he may not know how to deal with it himself, and go straight to the student aide in the school.
All in all, its best to let him know, because it may be the first step to being completely helped and be able to remove SH from your life, which is a big step, but is definitely possible (:

Be strong, even if telling him some how makes things seem worse (he tells someone you may not want to know, i.e parents) it WILL make it better. They want whats best for you, and they will try to help, and I hope you find the assistance you need to kick it completly.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TiredBrownEyes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice please! - January 10th 2011, 01:58 AM

One of the reasons I'm avoiding my counsellor is because he had to call my parents, and suggested them taking me to the hospital (which they didnt do). I haven't spoken to him since one follow up the next day. My parents got angry at me for one night, then everything was fine and everyone in my house acted like nothing happened. Which, made it easier to fall right back into the habit.

And yes, if a teacher is told of SH, they are required to tell the guidance office of it. That's how my counsellor found out. I asked my trusted teacher at the end of the day if I could talk with him later the next day, he asked me if it was serious, and I asked what he considered serious. He asked me if I was SHing, and after a bit of hesitation I told him I was. He brought me right up the the guidance office, and didn't care I was missing my bus. I was mad at him for a while, but I really had no right to be. So, Im kind of hoping he doesn't ask me if I still am SHing...but we'll see tomorrow. I just hope he's available to talk before I go into my bio class.

See, its only the people at my school that care. My parents ignore it. So the only real support I get is from the school. And it kinda feels weird having a lot of people there willing to help me. It sounds wrong, but its hard to describe how I feel about it. And thank you for the reply.

Closed Thread