TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FeistRawr Offline
I'm a unicorn.
Not a n00b

Name: Luna

Changing out for gym class. - January 10th 2011, 01:34 AM

This semester, I have gym. I had gym last semester too, but that was before we had locker rooms. We used to just change in the bathrooms, where I would just change in the stalls. But now I have to change out in the locker rooms in front of everyone. This is going to really be hard, because I already have self-image issues, and I hate changing in front of people. But on top of that, I have all these lovely cuts on my sides and torso. I don't know what to say when people see them. They're pretty gross and scary looking. I also can't even stop cutting at the moment. What should I say when people ask me about my cuts?

Self harm free since 1/15/11

I accept everyone who accepts everyone

You can talk to me about ANYTHING at all, even if we've never talked before, so don't be shy

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" - Gandhi.

"Burst down those closet doors once and for all, and stand up and start to fight" - Harvey Milk.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
My_Hero Offline
Lil' Rocker Chick 8)
Not a n00b

Re: Changing out for gym class. - January 10th 2011, 01:54 AM

Ah, I had that problem too. =/
Do you think you could just change your shirt in the bathrooms anyway? I would still go off to a stall sometimes to change if I was particularly worried about people seeing the marks. Otherwise (if your cuts are on your stomach area) just wear a cami/ tank top under your gym clothes that you don't need to take off at all.
Scars do heal, but the more you cut the longer it's gonna take. You should really try to find a way to stop cutting; no one deserves that pain. PM if you want to <3

We all need somebody to lean on <3
~I will survive, I will endure.
When the going's rough, you can be sure;
I'll tough it out, I won't give in. When I'm knocked down I'll get up again.
As long as my dream's alive, I Will Survive~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
pacotaco Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Changing out for gym class. - January 10th 2011, 02:36 AM

I had this problem too. Except my cuts were on my thighs. When I was about to change I would just turn and face the wall and just do it as fast as possible. I don't know what your locker room is like though? Maybe you could try to go in a corner or somthing? Good luck! Hope this helped

Religion has NOTHING to do with who my God IS.

You are more than the choices that you've made
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes
You are more than the problems you create
You've been remade

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Changing out for gym class. - January 10th 2011, 02:57 AM

I had this problem too, but there was a bathroom right next to our locker room so I went in there and changed. Also facing the wall or corner could help, or putting your gym shirt on overtop and then taking your arms our so you can take off the other shirt.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FeistRawr Offline
I'm a unicorn.
Not a n00b

Name: Luna

Re: Changing out for gym class. - January 10th 2011, 03:20 AM

Thank you thank you thank you for your advice I will forsure try your ideas out. And I am trying super hard to stop cutting, and I am looking at alternatives to self-harm. I hope I never have to post something like this about hiding my scars again.

Self harm free since 1/15/11

I accept everyone who accepts everyone

You can talk to me about ANYTHING at all, even if we've never talked before, so don't be shy

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" - Gandhi.

"Burst down those closet doors once and for all, and stand up and start to fight" - Harvey Milk.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Changing out for gym class. - January 10th 2011, 03:37 PM

I glad that you are trying to stop and having a positive outlook always helps. I hope all of our suggestions (don't know if I spelled that right) help. Good Luck!!!!

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Changing out for gym class. - January 10th 2011, 08:53 PM

Do you know if your locker room is just a wide open space or if there are stalls? At my school there're rows of stalls, no curtains but it's a bit more private than just changing in front of everyone else.. I definitely agree with wearing a cami or tank top, that's how I always hid marks on my stomach, and having something on while you're changing may help to make you a bit less self-conscious. Or try wrapping an ace bandage around them and just say you injured yourself.. it's not an excuse that will work forever, but short-term, while you're waiting for cuts to heal.

Just remember that no one is going to be staring straight at you while you're changing.. everyone else will probably be too busy changing as well, or talking to friends or something, to notice. And as obvious as your scars may seem to YOU, remember that you know they're there, so you know to look for them.. but others don't. And if anyone does ask - you don't owe them any explanation, okay? It's none of their business. You don't have to explain anything to them if you aren't comfortable doing so.

Best of luck and take care.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread