TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Red face Undying fear. - January 14th 2011, 12:56 PM

For the past two years I've been cutting, snapping rubberbands and burning myself. It has gotten better but I can never resist the urge to do it again when I'm upset or fighting with my boyfriend. He has helped me conquer my bouts of anorexia and he has helped me with cutting, but every time one of us gets depressed (he has depression, I've got bipolar disorder) I want to do it again. What do I do?! I love the feeling of the blade against my skin and i can't seem to over come this. Somebody please help me. Help me figure out a way to resist.

~Emma

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Something Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Undying fear. - January 14th 2011, 01:09 PM

Just thinking of Self Harm can be amazingly overwhelming. Rubber Bands and holding ice as hard as you never really helped me. I understand the feeling when cutting with a blade.

Heres the thing though, it's temporary. It only ever caused more pain to catch up with me in the future. It's a relief but it's so stupid in the end.

One trick you could try, that worked most the time for me was putting on rock or metal music and shouting (usually swear words hehe) as loud as I can.

I know it's such a hard thing to get over, to be honest I still do it when im sad but.. It's possible and there is help out there. You can do it, just stay positive.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Undying fear. - January 15th 2011, 12:14 AM

Hey Emily,

I think that absolutely blasting music works pretty well. Get your favorite song, turn your speakers/boom box/iPod dock/whatever ALLLL the way up, play it a few times on repeat. Sing along, scream it. Doesn't matter if you can't sing to save your life; after all, it's for you only.

Also, this list of alternatives to self-harm is really excellent, and whenever you get the urge to SH, you can try one of the things on that instead. Getting addicted to stabbing oranges is much healthier than getting addicted to SH.

Good luck! Stay strong. You can beat this.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Re: Undying fear. - January 15th 2011, 12:45 AM

THank you both for the advice. I'll try the music thing too(:

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Undying fear. - January 15th 2011, 12:50 AM

You are so very welcome! Let us know how everything turns out, hmmkay?

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
Closed Thread