TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ItalianBbae Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Erika

True Life: I Self Injure - January 18th 2011, 05:41 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

MTV has a show called True Life where they document everyday people in everyday situations. One episode they had was about self injurers. When I saw the episode I didn't really know what to think. These were the thoughts in my head: a) Are they going on the show to spread the word to others or for attention b) Should they even air this show because it is potentially VERY triggering and may even place the idea of self harming into someones mind and c) I would never want to become so public with my battle with self harming, idk how these people can do it.
So I was just wondering.....how do you all feel about this?

Here's the link to the episode if you'd like to watch it, but i do warn you WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK
http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-...playlist.jhtml

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 18th 2011, 11:25 AM

I think those people who go on these shows to raise awareness have a lot of courage, I know I couldn't do it. Whether they're doing it for attention or to 'raise their profile' or not doesn't really matter as long as the show is done in a way that highlights the dangers of self harm.

I don't think programmes like this shouldn't air but I know at the start of some shows they have a warning like "contains adult content" or "contains scenes of a violent/sexual nature" so putting something like that at the beginning of it would hopefully stop people becoming triggered by it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 18th 2011, 12:28 PM

I watched it last night cuz I couldn't sleep, and I'm glad they made a True Life about something that people never talk about.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
BasicFacts Offline
A Soul Already Sold
Average Joe

Name: Kamillia

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 18th 2011, 08:01 PM

I can't watch shows like that because they are triggering for me, but I am SO happy that they exist because this way maybe more people will realize that it IS a serious issue.

I think True Life is the only show on MTV that I don't hate. Haha.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 18th 2011, 08:05 PM

I think that the people who choose the people for this show, choose wisely.
This show seems to be genuine.

My feelings?
I think that MTV has episodes like these to raise awareness, and to educate people. I don't know if MTV had this intention, but it can show people that they aren't alone. Generally, with True Life episodes, it shows the people getting help throughout the episode as well. I think you can take what you want from this show. You aren't alone, shows tips for SH, show tips on how to get help, people wanting attention, education, etc. I think it depends on how you look at it, because we will never really know the intentions of why people decide to be on that show unless they directly say it within the episode itself.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 18th 2011, 08:15 PM

Another show that's very unMTV-like (in 2000s standards), besides Skins. I would watch it, even if it has triggering topics, but it's on MTV. I do agree with Lyndsee about it seeming genuine but really, it's probably all exploitation.

You can't take everything with the teeniest grain of salt these days, because the whole thing might all be fake.

If that's the case, then I hate MTV even more.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 18th 2011, 08:43 PM

bbc3 do shows like theese, at the moment they are doing a dangerous pleasures season on bbc3. i dont know if they are doing one on self harm or not though. i tried to watch the video you put a link too, but it wouldnt load on my laptop. i think its good they air shows like theese as it shows thats its not just because people want attention and that they do it for other reasons. its good because it also raises awareness.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Just a nobody Offline
Lonely.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Guess?

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 18th 2011, 09:05 PM

I am currently dealing with SH, however, I'm not easily triggered by visual things. I watched it and it's a lot better than some of the other things I've seen (like school ones and such). I liked all the different people they had on their and the different stories they had. I hope people can learn from that about this issue...

I love : )

"Love is simple... Don't be afraid, you're already dead."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
emo_qehs Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: emo_qehs

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 19th 2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianBbae View Post
Here's the link to the episode if you'd like to watch it, but i do warn you WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK
http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-...playlist.jhtml
Doesn't work outside of the US
  Send a message via MSN to emo_qehs  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
My_Hero Offline
Lil' Rocker Chick 8)
Not a n00b

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 19th 2011, 07:45 PM

I'm in agreement with some others on here have said; I think it's a good thing they decided to expose self harm for what it is, and raise awareness of it. Despite the fact that so many people struggle with SH, it's still in the shadows; people need to realize it isn't some myth, it's a really series problem.
And as triggering as this can be (I just watched it and am still a little on the shaky side), it's also somewhat of a comfort to know others people all over the country (and world for that matter) struggle with it, and for some of the same reasons I had.
It must have taken those girls a lot of courage to go in front of a camera, admitting to strangers, what they do to themselves. Even if their intentions were selfish and for attention (which I don't think they were), at least they're admitting it's a problem that they need help for, ya know?

We all need somebody to lean on <3
~I will survive, I will endure.
When the going's rough, you can be sure;
I'll tough it out, I won't give in. When I'm knocked down I'll get up again.
As long as my dream's alive, I Will Survive~

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: True Life: I Self Injure - January 22nd 2011, 11:57 AM

I've seen more triggering shows - there's one called Secret Lives of Women if you want to check it out. But this one was still pretty upsetting in that sense. Regardless of that point, I am SO glad MTV made a show about this. I don't think we'll ever know the intentions of the girls on the show, but I don't think MTV did it to exploit self-injurers. If that were the case, they'd be exploiting SO MANY subgroups of society that someone would have protested by now. I'm amazed by the strength of the girls to show their scars and tell their stories on TV. I'm glad MTV did this

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

Closed Thread