TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sad_Lauren Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lauren

Unhappy Is It Worth the Fight? - January 24th 2011, 01:31 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i've been sh free for a while now but i do consider it often. 2 of my best friends, one who had been sh free for a year and the other 4 years, have both started cutting again. i started taking my meds again and i've been doing everything i possibly can to keep myself from it, but i just don't feel like it's worth the fight anymore. i just want to embrace the pain. i want to just be done with everything and let it all out in the best way i know possible. i really don't want to, but i just don't know how to keep from doing it. i don't like talking to my friends or family about it because the answers always the same "we love you. don't ever hurt youself. i'm always here to talk." you know what? if you were there to talk in the first place i wouldn't be at this point so just shut up. i really just want help. but i'm not sure where to find it. i really just want to be normal again, not this monster i've become.
  Send a message via AIM to Sad_Lauren Send a message via MSN to Sad_Lauren Send a message via Skype™ to Sad_Lauren 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
dawtango Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is It Worth the Fight? - January 24th 2011, 01:38 AM

It is worth it. I've only been SH free for a few months, but I think it is. You're not a monster, just someone who has a fight to fight. Your friends and family probably don't know what to do, or what to say. But I'm sure they do love you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Is It Worth the Fight? - January 24th 2011, 02:01 AM

Hey there Lauren,

I am so glad you have been self harm free for a while. The fight and the struggle is worth it. Your friends who started cutting again, they are strong. You can be stronger though. Use that as a motivation. Realize that they are unhappy. They are probably embarrassed, or even more sad that they started again. You don't want to be that girl. If you can, try and convince them to stop, or use each other to motivate each other to not cut. That is really difficult sounding, but like I said, the struggle is worth it.

I understand that you don't want to talk to family or friends because of their generic 'blah' responses. I go through the same thing. The 'help' they give is sometimes not helpful. Think about it this way, they really DO love you, it really does sadden them to see you hurting. You should talk to your family, well, your parents, and ask to see a counselor. They can hep you in not wanting to cut. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents, talk to a teacher or a guidance counselor at school.

You are definitely strong enough to beat this. Many people have. Tons of people on this website has. The people here are great when you need support. Do you have anything to motivate you not to cut? What about any distractions? When you feel the urge to cut, do something to help you forget about the urge, or do something to distract you until the urge subsides. I will provide you with a link to a thread that is full of alternatives to Self Harm. Keep in mind, not every single thing is going to work for you, but it is important to keep trying new things.

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

Keep your head up. Things will work out.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: Is It Worth the Fight? - January 29th 2011, 12:42 AM

Hey Lauren,

It really is worth it to fight self-harming. Self-harm may give you temporary relief, but it's so dangerous both mentally and physically. When will you stop? Now's a better time than ever unless you want to keep harming yourself in a year and then in five years and then in 10 years. You really need to try to make the decision to stop now or you may keep putting it off. Just try to think to yourself where cutting can get you in life. Other than the ER, not very far. If you try to learn proper coping skills, you'll learn a lot about yourself and end up a much much happier person.

It's good that you're taking your meds again. Meds can take a while to kick in, though. I don't know when you started taking your meds again, but it's possible that they haven't fully kicked in yet. Try to be patient, though I know it's hard when you feel like you're trying to do everything right and things still aren't working how you want them to. Have you ever tried seeing a counselor? I think counseling is key to dealing with addictions like self-harm and I think it would be worth your while to try seeing a counselor. Counseling can take a while to get used to and it sometimes takes time to find a counselor who you feel comfortable talking to. I'd really urge you to talk to your parents about counseling because I think it would benefit you a lot.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.
Keeley.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

Closed Thread