TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Confidentiality? Guidance? - January 24th 2011, 11:30 PM

I SH and am going to the doctor on Friday. If she discovers that I do still SH, I am not going to lie to her. Here's my question though:

If I don't want my parents to know, can my doctor:

• Keep it confidential from my parents if I ask?
  • Call the guidance department at my school and tell them, making sure to let them know it's to remain confidential from my parents?
I'm 14 and live in the U.S. in Connecticut, if that helps with certain laws in a state.

Also, if I do end up going to guidance, do you think it would be hard for me to see a counselor in my school that I was not assigned to? I was assigned to a male counselor. I don't like talking to men about my problems and he is a man I do not trust (I find him to be a bit of a creeper), but we are all assigned our counselors here by last name, so do you think it would be hard to change who I talk to?

Last edited by Spoons; January 24th 2011 at 11:52 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TiredBrownEyes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vanessa

Re: Confidentiality? Guidance? - January 25th 2011, 12:12 AM

I'm not sure about the laws over there, so in that area I can't help.

However, I may be able to provide some insight on the counsellor area. The counsellor I talk to isn't my assigned one either. I would usually have one of the females, but i explained to the other counsellor how I don't feel comfortable talking to her, and that I didn't like her.. But they said it was fine, and I go to the counsellor that isn't mine for my personal problems, and school related stuff I try to go to my assigned one.

So just talk to the guidance office, try and explain that you don't feel comfortable with your current counsellor. My school was very good with that, and I changed right away with no problems. Do you sign up for your appointments? If you do, could you put your name underneath the counsellor you wanted to speak with, and then explain why you don't want to speak with your assigned one?

Hope I helped.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Confidentiality? Guidance? - January 25th 2011, 12:17 AM

Im glad your not going to lie to your doctor. Well you are 14 so the doctor may have to tell your parents. But ask your doctor if she will keep it confidential. The school counsler can maybe keep it confidental if you say you dont do it a lot.

yes we have school counsler like that assigned to us by are last names too. Yeah you can go to a diffrent counsler just to talk I dont think it will be hard to just change counsler. Just go to a diffrent counsler tommorw and tell them you want to talk to them and im sure they will let you do that. pm me if you need anything huggs.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
Closed Thread