TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lola jonson Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: lola

scars - January 27th 2011, 08:48 PM

So I was watching some you tube videos about self injury scars. These are some things that they talked about and I wanted to know what you guys thought.

Should we hide our self injury scars?
how do we hide them?
What do we say if someone sees our scars and asks where they came from?
Are you ashamed of your self injury scars?
do you think that its shows bravery to not hide your scars?
Do you worry what people in public will think if they see your scars?
do you care if people judge you for your scars?
are you proud of your scars because they represent what you have gone through?(if you have stopped self harming)
any other thoughts about self injury scars?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Online
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: scars - January 27th 2011, 10:35 PM

I don't bother to hide my scars unless they are healing (i.e. only a few days old). I don't really do it to be brave or courageous; I do it out of practicality and a lack of care for what people think of them. I want to wear the types of clothes I want to wear when I want to wear them; I would have to wear long sleeves and pants all the time if I wanted to hide my scars, and that is just not practical. In addition, I don't really care what people think of them. Sure, people stare at me, and sure, people ask where they come from. I tell them the truth, unless it's a small child who is asking. Then I think it's alright to fib about it.

I don't think that scars are something to be ashamed of just because they look different, and I refuse to hide mine based on that mentality. I wouldn't say I am proud of them, but I carry respect for myself and take responsibility for my actions, including the ones I do to harm myself.

Note: I'm not saying anyone who does choose to hide their scars is wrong. This is just how I choose to do things myself.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...

Last edited by Heathen; January 28th 2011 at 12:37 AM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: scars - January 27th 2011, 10:55 PM

Personally I do choose to hide my scars but that's just my choice of how I want to deal with it. I definitely give props to those people who don't hide their scars and are honest about where they got them etc. So in response to "should" we hide our scars? No I don't think we should have to hide them. My scars are mostly in a location that isn't typically seen by others so hiding them hasn't been one of my biggest problems. (Unless I'm wearing a bikini my upper thigh isn't going to be visible.) I had some on my arm and at that point I chose to hide them from family and friends but when I was in a university class with tons of people around I could have cared less. They had no idea who I was and really had no business asking me about them. People looked every once and a while but its really none of their business in my opinion. Had they asked I probably wouldn't have told them but thats just because I like keeping that stuff private. I think it takes a lot of courage for some people to allow their scars to be visible; I know for me it would. Especially if they are people I care about. That being said though I think that if you can accept them and forget about the looks people give you then all the power to you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: scars - January 27th 2011, 11:15 PM

I think that if one is comfortable showing the scars, then they should.

I personally have no problem showing my scars but when I see people staring, I do get a little creeped out, and get nervous. Something about people asking about them makes me feel iffy, but as long as nothing is said, I have no reason to hide them. But, then again, I have a tendency to lie about them. Unlike superstar, I never tell the truth about them. I keep the scars hidden to myself in sense. Only I know why they are there, and I feel that it's my business and nobody else's.

I've never been ashamed of them when I'm the only one criticizing them. I'm ashamed when my family or friends make comments about people who "indulge" in self harm. The word indulge is enough to make me feel terrible about doing it. But, they represent the stories I have lived through, and without them I wouldn't be who I am today. My scars are what have possibly saved me from myself day after day, and I wouldn't change it. People will always judge another by the scars they have, but it's not their place to tell me who or what I am. =]

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: scars - January 28th 2011, 07:12 PM

It's a very personal decision
how do we hide them?
I don't go out of my way to hide them, mine are very easy to hide
I lie
Very
To me, no. It really bothers me when someone has bad/obvious SH scars that aren't covered up
Yes
Yes
are you proud of your scars because they represent what you have gone through?(if you have stopped self harming)
Not at all. My scars disgust me and are just a reminder of a part of my life that I wish I could just erase

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: scars - January 31st 2011, 04:50 PM

We shouldn't feel as though we have to, although saying that, I do think that it is some sort of courtesy to hide wounds that are still healing, as it is almost guarunteed to make people feel uncomfortable. I personally hide them except from complete strangers or close friends. My family still don't know.

how do we hide them?
I generally just wear long sleeved tops and never go swimming, but there are many ways to hide scars.

If they're making me feel awkward about it, I'll laugh it off ("I had sex with a porcupine", "Oh my god!! where did they come from?!?!") but usually I'll just say that I've had a hard time coping with life.

Sometimes I am, although I'm starting to see them as a physical reminder of all that I've been through and that I have survived.

In my case it does. I can't have my scars on show when I'm in a bad frame of mind - I get very nervous and they can even trigger me to cut more.

I used to, but now I put harsh comments down to people being ignorant. I'm not sure if I would understand it if I hadn't been through it, so although it does sometimes worry me what people will think, I try not to take it to heart.

If they're strangers on the street then I don't give a damn what they think of me, but if I am in some way connected to them, I do tend to let myself get very hurt over people judging me.

I'm definately not proud of them, but they are kind of like the story of my life written all over my body that only I can read. I do still self harm on occassion, but I think I have a grip on it now.

any other thoughts about self injury scars?
I usually try to hide mine as I know how triggering it can be when you see someone elses. I also find myself studying other people for signs of any kind of depression/self harm. My heart goes out to all the other people who have felt the comfort of the razorblade.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: scars - January 31st 2011, 05:10 PM

As people have said, I think this is entirely personal. I hide mine, but if others don't, it doesn't bother me. Though, it may trigger some people.

How do we hide them?
Personally, a lot of mine are in places that well, aren't too hard to hide. Like, t-shirts over my upper arms. But some of the ones on my lower arms, it depends on who I'm around.

Well, since the ones on my lower arms sometimes show, I just blame it on the cat. But most of the time, I wear long sleeves, arm warmers, etc.

Yes. I am. I don't want anyone to see them. I don't want to have to make up excuses.

Do you think that its shows bravery to not hide your scars?
I guess it depends. Some people show off their "scars" (little scratches from like, their cat) for attention, as was the case with this one guy in high school. As soon as he left high school, his cat stopped scratching him I guess.

On the other hand, someone who is a recovering self-harmer, and starting to slowly uncover their scars as time goes on, is brave in my opinion.

Of course. I don't want them staring, judging, etc. I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable enough to show my arms completely. But when its just my boyfriend and I, he has seen all my scars.

Do you care if people judge you for your scars?
I'd rather them not, but if some stranger assumes things about me, that is their prerogative, and not much I can do about it.

Are you proud of your scars because they represent what you have gone through?(if you have stopped self harming)
No, I'm not proud of them. However, it is nice to see them healing up. I feel accomplished, seeing them heal up, knowing I haven't added to them in almost 2 months.

Any other thoughts about self injury scars?

In the end, they suck. Self-harm is shit. It draws you in, and you struggle to get out of it. But, if you have the will to quit, and the right people to help you, recovery is entirely possible, even very likely.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread