TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): I started smoking to quit cutting, and now I quit smoking and started cutting (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t65658-i-started-smoking-quit-cutting-now-i-quit-smoking-started-cutting/)

Shanna January 29th 2011 05:01 AM

I started smoking to quit cutting, and now I quit smoking and started cutting

I am really sick right now. I have Bronchitis, tonsillitis, ear infections...if i had waited any longer I would have caught pneumonia. Not really my point....but I'm just sick and I hear that my little sister...from just moving in isn't going to go to my grandparents with me for spring break and I was really looking forward to it....now she's not....it's like my fam is the plague.....i feel so alone and sad...i just don't know how to feel. I am so stressed out i haven't smoked in 2 days....everything is so hard on me....i feel like moving out and hiding in a ditch....i wanna overdose, i have already cut. i dont have anyone to talk to right now that's why I'm talking to y'all....:( not that there is anything wrong with y'all. I feel all alone and i need help. :'( i'm sitting here crying not knowing who to turn to. who is really my friend....I am thinking some horrible thoughts all around....

Riddikulus January 29th 2011 08:26 AM

Re: I started smoking to quit cutting, and now I quit smoking and started cutting

Hey, it sounds like things are rough at the moment. You need to find alternatives, smoking and SH are both bad for you, you could trying writing, reading, something like that. Or chewing gum to help stop smoking.
Feel free to PM me if you want to talk, i'l always listen
Charli :-)

TheCrowing January 30th 2011 11:00 PM

Re: I started smoking to quit cutting, and now I quit smoking and started cutting

Difficult situations are some of the worst and best. Yes, you may feel the need to smoke or cut, but then again, situations like these can be good to help show yourself that you can be strong and to give yourself more credit.

Smoking and cutting is a very dangerous mix. I quit smoking probably... 3 years ago? and I still occasionally get so anxious from not smoking that I get urges to use sh instead or the other way around. You can't let the addictions overpower your will to get better. Feeling better for the long term should be much more important than short term relief.

Instead of smoking or cutting, you should try some of the alternatives. The best way is to go through the list and find one that makes you feel better, or stops the urges. Or whenever you get the urge to either smoke or sh, you can do something that you like/love to do (harmless stuff). Maybe go out, write, draw, learn how to play an instrument maybe? A few friends of mine draw on themselves with red markers or lipstick instead, there's also the butterfly project.

Stopping both of these will not only give you healthy ways to deal with stress and such, but you'll feel so much better once you get over the first few weeks.

Shanna January 31st 2011 04:42 AM

Thanks both of y'all. I was really horrible yesterday. I cut at least 20 times....made sure I bled and everything. I am so stupid. I think I just want to make an excuse to stay in my habit....I want to smoke and I also want to cut. They are familiar to me. I am scared to quit them all. I don't know if I will make it on my own.

Riddikulus January 31st 2011 03:15 PM

I know your scared, and your not alone you can always talk to me. Make sure you clean and bandage them so they don't go infected. You really should try the alternatives.
Take care and stay strong, you can do it :-)

TheCrowing February 1st 2011 01:06 AM

But this is the exciting part of life. Leaving behind the expected, usual, familiar things and giving new things a try. Cutting and smoking is familiar and close to you, so try something that is not harmful and completely new. I know it sounds so repeated and boring hearing it from everyone, but I promise that finding alternatives is the best thing to do.

Shanna February 1st 2011 02:49 AM

You know, I can honestly give the advice y'all are giving me to other ppl and I have. It's just when It comes down to me, I can't follow my own advice. Moving forward is exciting, but what if I fail?? I am so afraid of failure. I need to be perfect..

Riddikulus February 1st 2011 03:09 PM

No ones perfect, everyone makes mistakes, don't be scared to fail 'In order to succeed, we must first learn how to fail' everyone makes mistakes but life goes on.
And i'm the same, i find it really hard to follow my own advice. Stay strong And my inbox is always open if you want to talk, take care
Charli