TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Question Is This Better? - February 4th 2011, 11:22 PM

I'm trying to quit cutting (again). Sooo I'm slowly switching from a razorblade to a safety pin. Is this any better, or should I try to switch to something else? I mean, it seems to be a good way to wean myself off of cutting, but technically since I tend to draw blood with both (although significantly less with the pin) is it just as bad? I'm honestly just curious what your opinions are. ^^'

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Is This Better? - February 4th 2011, 11:28 PM

I think that a safety pin is better than using a razor especially if it draws less blood. I'll provide a link that may help you too.
Some alternatives to cutting would be placing an ice cube on your skin or snapping a rubber band on your wrist.

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f78-s...rge-self-harm/

I'm glad that you have decided to try quitting again. I know that it is hard, but you can do it. You are a strong person

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lola jonson Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: lola

Re: Is This Better? - February 4th 2011, 11:37 PM

In my opinion weaning yourself off cutting is the only good way to stop. Its hard to stop all at once. Yes, I think that using a safety pin is better. This is actually what I've been doing. I used to use a razorblade to cut and now I scratch with a safety pin, still does damage but not as much. I think that its been helping me because I've been self harming less.

We do not fear death, we fear that no one will notice our absence. That we will disappear without a trace.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Is This Better? - February 5th 2011, 06:54 PM

When I used to cut, I slashed myself really hard with push pins.

I've actually never cut with razor blades, so I can't give an opinion on whether safety pins are better. I will say that safety pin cuts are much safer.

It's good that you're trying to stop cutting. That's a HUGE step in the right direction. I'm proud of you.

You can do it!

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Is This Better? - February 5th 2011, 07:25 PM

Is it better for the time being? Yes. Is it good for a permanent solution? No. I think it's a good idea to wean yourself off of cutting, so long as you don't have it in your mind that's okay to cut now that you're using a safety pin. It's still not a good thing, and as long as you realize that then I don't see a problem.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is This Better? - February 5th 2011, 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies, guys. ^^ It means a lot.

And after I get totally to safety pins I'll switch to snapping rubberbands, but from there where do ya think I should go? I'll need an alternative that isn't physical pain eventually.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Is This Better? - February 5th 2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiFey View Post
Thanks for all the replies, guys. ^^ It means a lot.

And after I get totally to safety pins I'll switch to snapping rubberbands, but from there where do ya think I should go? I'll need an alternative that isn't physical pain eventually.
You could always try something like writing about how you're feeling. That's serving as my replacement for self harm, and it works really well for me. Everyone is different, so different things help. You could also try talking to people about how you're feeling, or helping others to get your mind off of things,

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Is This Better? - February 5th 2011, 10:10 PM

Amanda, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Katie, make sure to check out this list of alternatives to self-harm.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is This Better? - February 6th 2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayComesAround View Post

You could always try something like writing about how you're feeling. That's serving as my replacement for self harm, and it works really well for me. Everyone is different, so different things help. You could also try talking to people about how you're feeling, or helping others to get your mind off of things,
Thanks, but writing how I feel tends to trigger me more because I start to focus on the emotions (or lack of, as it tends to be just as frequently). Talking to friends does help, but I don't want to be calling late every night because I want to cut.. I only call them on occassion if I'm feeling seriously suicidal.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention before that I just kind of want to say is that in class on Thursday (I'd just cut on Wednesday) we were in class and I took off my coat for a minute because it was getting really hot, and I forgot the cuts were all on my wrists so I started taking pictures (dumb right?) and my friend noticed when I was taking them, so I ended up with a really worried friend and a terrible guilty feeling. I mean, when I realized that the reason she'd said my name with a shocked, sort of confused voice i just kept repeating "You didn't see that.." over and over (more trying to convince myself). It was just an awful feeling that came over me. Has anyone else had this happen, or am I alone on this?

Closed Thread