TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Opinion needed on SH - February 7th 2011, 06:48 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hello everyone. I really need help on this question, because I can't stop wondering. So I'll keep it short:
Can SH do you any good?

Don't get me wrong, I am against it and stopping at my position of scratching. BUT what confuses me are those teens I met online who in fact haven't stopped and don't want to, at all. They do say it makes them feel good, that it's the only solution to get through pain, they're in a horrible situation and don't know what else to do... and that there's nothing they could do. Why do they think this way? I personally believe it can be solved and that harming your body will just do damage to your both mental AND physic health.
Should I respect and understand what they think or what?

Sorry if this is long, but my opinion is very lost every time I think about it. In the end, I'm not even sure if helping them is an option. :/

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Opinion needed on SH - February 7th 2011, 07:01 PM

First of all i don't think it actually does you any good; but as you said sometimes it can make you feel good. It is just harming your body. I think that respect their opinion and giving them advice on whats right are very different things , if you understand that it makes them feel good but you have to say it's not doing them any good and is damaging their health. It people's own desicion to stop, and only they can decide if they want to or not, all you can do is encourage them to.
Feel free to PM me if you want to talk

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lola jonson Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: lola

Re: Opinion needed on SH - February 7th 2011, 08:50 PM

I understand where those people are coming from because I have felt that way before. I can't explain why, but self harm can make someone feel really good about themselves, it depends on the person. But to answer the main question can it do any good? Well it definatley does more bad than good and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. There's probably not one straight forward answer for this because everyone is different and it depends on the self harmer and the situation.

We do not fear death, we fear that no one will notice our absence. That we will disappear without a trace.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Opinion needed on SH - February 7th 2011, 08:52 PM

In the long run, no, it doesn't do you any good at all.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lizzie

Re: Opinion needed on SH - February 7th 2011, 09:19 PM

So, to start. I am one of those teens who doesn't want to stop. Honestly, I don't. I know that I should and I know it's a horrible thing for me to do. That's why I'm on here to hope someone can talk me out of it. Which has been working.
But the thing is, even though I know it's dangerous and bad for me, I feel like it kinda helps. In the long run looking into the future if I were to continue to SH I know it will only get worse and will start to affect my mental health more significantly than it does now. But when I'm in the moment only thinking of how I feel at the that time, SH seems to be the only answer. I don't want to suffer through the tears because it's extremely for me to cry (long story). So instead of all that pain and those thoughts racing around my head, I just SH. It takes the focus off of whats bothering me and it calms me down.
Also, when someone becomes addicted to something like SH or Alcohol or whatever the case may be, they don't want to quit. At least in the beginning. That's partly why they need that love and support from others.
I hope this helped some.
If you have any more questions just PM me. Happy to help!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: Opinion needed on SH - February 7th 2011, 09:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. A lot made sense to me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicNumbsThePain View Post
But when I'm in the moment only thinking of how I feel at the that time, SH seems to be the only answer. I don't want to suffer through the tears because it's extremely for me to cry (long story). So instead of all that pain and those thoughts racing around my head, I just SH. It takes the focus off of whats bothering me and it calms me down.
Also, when someone becomes addicted to something like SH or Alcohol or whatever the case may be, they don't want to quit. At least in the beginning.
This was the answer I was looking for, TBH. Makes sense when it's addiction, and that the victim of SH doesn't (want to) find an another way and this seems more comforting(like cigarettes). But really, there's always some other solution... may require a lot more energy, knowledge and pain to pass through though. At least, this is my belief. Yes, it's very different for everyone.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Opinion needed on SH - February 7th 2011, 10:53 PM

I think it can provide a temporary relief in a moment of desperation.I can honestly say that it has stopped me from committing suicide at times, although it doesn't always work. Ultimately though, I think that in the long run it is extremely damaging to both your physical body and to your state of mind.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Opinion needed on SH - February 10th 2011, 09:14 PM

So I don't think that is really any set answer to your question but I am going to try. SH can (very rarely) do good, not the actual self-harming part, but the consequences, someone finding out can get you the help you need that you may not be able to ask for on your own. BUT I would NEVER reccommend SH to anyone because the damage and dangerous of it out weighs the "good" part by more than a million. I hope this helped a little.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

Closed Thread