TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Scarification and tattoos? - February 8th 2011, 01:58 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've always been 100% interested in this form of art, and lately I've been thinking about getting one myself. Once I turn 18, I'm going to start my half-sleeve of tattoos, but I'm starting to get a bit nervous.

Tattoos: I've always wanted tattoos to help me share my story with others around me and to make sure I never forget who I am. It means the world to me, and I love the idea of having this piece of art with me everywhere. But, I'm worried that it might trigger me. A lot of friends are somewhat addicting to getting tattoos (none of them has ever cut or used sh) so I'm thinking that the pain or the feeling might be a trigger. And that frightens me.

Like, when I got my ears pierced a few times, it triggered me. I then started to just stick the needle in my ears without numbing it and then after my fourteenth earring, I would take it out and let it heal over. Just to feel the pain and so I wouldn't cut.

Scarification: Of course it would be a trigger, having a blade cut into my skin and then letting it heal over to form a scar, but I have this weird sick thought. What if this could be like.. the final step to help me overcome sh? Am I crazy for thinking this? Maybe this one single piece will act as an epiphany and I won't have to have slip ups anymore. I've been struggling for six years and I feel like this could finally be the end of my struggle. But on the other hand, what if it makes things worse?

I'm definitely getting the tattoos, but I'm not sure how I would deal with it if it did act more as a trigger than as a way to help.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: Scarification and tattoos? - February 8th 2011, 02:50 AM

For me, getting my tattoos doesn't trigger me, but I know that peircings and tattoos can be triggering with other people, it's different with every person. I only get tattoos that have a meaning to me, like I have gotten one that symbolizes what I have gone through, one that symbolizes my religion, and one in memory of my mommy. As with the scarring I truely do NOT think that it would help end your struggle, I think that it would only make it worse.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

Closed Thread