TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lola jonson Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: lola

youtube videos - February 23rd 2011, 11:01 PM

I heard a study that came out a few days ago about the self injury videos on youtube. they were talking about how the videos that show graphic images of self injury can be triggering for self injurers and that they can encourage people to start self harming, and that they should not be allowed on you tube. they said that many of these videos glamourize self injury and that there are only a few that discourage self harm and give self harmers advice.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that these videos are triggering or that they glamourize self injury? Do think that they should be allowed on you tube?

We do not fear death, we fear that no one will notice our absence. That we will disappear without a trace.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: youtube videos - February 23rd 2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola jonson View Post
What are your thoughts on this?
I think that youtube plays a major role in a lot of issues. Such as Eating disorders, self harm, LGBT, bullying, etc. Some things can be triggering and can be intended to support SH. Some videos are against it, and are trying to make people become aware.

Quote:
Do you think that these videos are triggering or that they glamourize self injury?
I think that these videos can be very triggering for people. People think that SI is "cool", or do it as a way to "fit in". It's like pro-ana, or thinspo. There are groups out there that support SI fully. It's quite sad actually.

Quote:
Do think that they should be allowed on you tube?
I do and don't think that these videos should be on youtube. I do think they should be left on youtube because people have the freedom of expression. People should be able to post what they want. I know that people would be quite upset if they took videos off of youtube. It's also peoples own choice to watch these things. Youtube needs something like "Watch at your own discretion". Youtube can only be responsible for so much. However, I also don't think the videos should be posted because it's promoting SI which can lead to suicide. I think that it is rather sick that people support things like that. I think that maybe by removing the videos it will bring down the amount of people participating in these unhealthy activities. I think that there needs to be more videos encouraging people to get help, and what not.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: youtube videos - February 24th 2011, 09:32 PM

Some of the videos can be pretty triggering, especially if they show a lot of pictures of the scars, blood, etc. I have felt the urge to cut when looking at someone's cuts before, and even though at this point in my life I'm not trying to quit, I didn't want to be triggered. They may encourage people to self harm if they find it "cool" to do it, especially if they notice all the views on the videos and are like, "Hey, this must be pretty cool, I should do it too!"

Well, there is freedom of expression on youtube, but I agree with the fact that there should be a warning before you view a video with self harm or other content like eating disorders in it so you know that it is going to be triggering. There needs to be more videos that discourage self harm, because nobody should have to go through that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: youtube videos - February 25th 2011, 01:58 PM

Youtube already tries to do something about this. Many, MANY, of the graphic ones are only viewable to people over 18. This isn't foolproof, most people lie and say they're 18 so they can watch the videos hidden to anyone under 18. I've seen a lot of them taken down because they were too graphic. If you're triggered by it, don't watch them. No one is forcing you. If they started banning those videos, eventually they'd have to ban any video that features SH even music videos because where do you draw that line?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: youtube videos - February 25th 2011, 02:05 PM

i dont know, i mean i make videos on youtube well more upload ones i have made using images ect yes sometimes the images i use can be graphic but i do always put a trigger warning on mine, mine are not made with the intent to glamourise self harm or make people start self harm, mine are simply music and images, and always have a trigger warning on them, my videos on youtube are more what you could call an expression of how i feel. but then agian i have made 2 anti bullying videos on youtube which are agianst bullying. i think it depends on the person viewing them and how they see the video and i think it also depends on the content of the video that is being watched / has been uploaded. videos have trigger warnings for a reason the trigger warnings are there to warn you that the videos may be have graphic and triggering content in them.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BeMySafteyNet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: youtube videos - February 28th 2011, 01:06 AM

I find the videos of people trying to help like downtownpartol and idranktheseawater and xsullengirlx helpful but the ones of people that glamorize self injury and make it look like it's good and acceptable to hurt yourself in that way it just isn't right, and i don't think that those types of videos should be allowed on youtube.

Every day is another oppurtunity to improve upon yesterday.

Closed Thread