TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 25th 2011, 01:08 AM

It's been about a year since I've self harmed, but I've just felt like I need to really badly. I keep thinking to myself that it doesn't really matter. It's not like I'm doing it to anybody else, right? I don't think I can hold on anymore. I've been thinking about it all the time for the last week. I know that if I start I won't be able to stop, but at least I'll feel better...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lola jonson Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: lola

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 25th 2011, 02:01 AM

Going a year without self harm is an amazing accomplishment. You don't want to ruin that now. Like you said, if you start you won't be able to stop. Try to find something todistract you.

We do not fear death, we fear that no one will notice our absence. That we will disappear without a trace.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Boxy Offline
Clinically Liz
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Boxy or Liz

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 25th 2011, 03:20 AM

Hey Michael,

Hurting yourself isn't going to fix the problem... You just need to figure out why you're feeling like SH'ing and nip it in the butt.

You don't want a relapse after a whole year, do you? Because that's quite an accomplishment!

If you ever wanna talk feel free to PM me,
<3 Boxy

1:44 PM [Cassago] I'll be your glass slipper, if you'll be my foot..
1:45 PM [Boxy] i'll be your foot anyday

Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing

Send a message via AIM to Boxy Send a message via MSN to Boxy Send a message via Yahoo to Boxy Send a message via Skype™ to Boxy 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 25th 2011, 09:26 AM

Self-harming is a TEMPORARY solution to a TEMPORARY problem.

It doesn't get rid of the problem, like putting a band-aid on a cut doesn't make the cut heal, you just kind of hide it until it goes away.

What you need to do is assess what your problem is.

For me, I was depressed for the LONGEST time because I wasn't happy with who I was. I would self-harm in a strange way, in that I would alienate myself from people. I would never let anyone close, because I didn't think I deserved to be friends with anyone.

Then I questioned myself. WHY did I do this? What made me not worthy to be someone's friend? I'm a good person, why keep that from other people?

I decided to be happy. I know that sounds strange, but happiness really is a decision. Cut out the negative in your life. If you have people bringing you down, get rid of them. I know it's easier said than done, but it's something that you have to do. If there are things you enjoy doing, start doing it.

But most importantly, surround yourself with GOOD people who like YOU for YOU. There's no point in changing who you are so someone likes you more, because you won't really be YOU, which means they can't possibly like you because they don't even know the real you! Does that make sense?

I know that self-harm is an addiction, and believe me, I know it's hard to stop. I'm still battling my addiction to lying, but what keeps me going is that knowing life is MUCH better when I don't do it, so why should I want to?

Good luck! And feel free to shoot me a PM. I try to get on TeenHelp fairly regularly, but schoolwork, my band, and such force me to be away from the computer, so I may not respond ASAP.

Follow on Twitter @Thomas_TGT

TUMBLR: http://thomasdlesnick.tumblr.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/thomas.lesnick

I play in a new band called "The Gentlemen Thieves"
www.thegentlementhieves.com

YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/drumminggod91

"Let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic, and we will change the world." - Jack Layton

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 25th 2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrel1 View Post
Self-harming is a TEMPORARY solution to a TEMPORARY problem.

It doesn't get rid of the problem, like putting a band-aid on a cut doesn't make the cut heal, you just kind of hide it until it goes away.

What you need to do is assess what your problem is.

For me, I was depressed for the LONGEST time because I wasn't happy with who I was. I would self-harm in a strange way, in that I would alienate myself from people. I would never let anyone close, because I didn't think I deserved to be friends with anyone.

Then I questioned myself. WHY did I do this? What made me not worthy to be someone's friend? I'm a good person, why keep that from other people?

I decided to be happy. I know that sounds strange, but happiness really is a decision. Cut out the negative in your life. If you have people bringing you down, get rid of them. I know it's easier said than done, but it's something that you have to do. If there are things you enjoy doing, start doing it.

But most importantly, surround yourself with GOOD people who like YOU for YOU. There's no point in changing who you are so someone likes you more, because you won't really be YOU, which means they can't possibly like you because they don't even know the real you! Does that make sense?

I know that self-harm is an addiction, and believe me, I know it's hard to stop. I'm still battling my addiction to lying, but what keeps me going is that knowing life is MUCH better when I don't do it, so why should I want to?

Good luck! And feel free to shoot me a PM. I try to get on TeenHelp fairly regularly, but schoolwork, my band, and such force me to be away from the computer, so I may not respond ASAP.
A lot of what you said did make sense, but, I just can't get over the fact that I want to do it so badly. Right now my situation (with the conflicts I have between school and home) makes it really hard to even get by, and even when I do get by, I feel overwhelmed all the time. I don't want to be a bother to the people that would be willing to talk to me about this, but I can't just act like everything is fine and dandy. Because of that I cut myself.

I know I've gone an entire year without self-injury. It actually makes me slightly mad that everybody pointed out that I haven't done it for a year. I just don't care anymore. Who cares if I haven't done it for a year, or for a week? The whole point is that I want to do it again. I brought it up just to give a bit of a back story.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 26th 2011, 02:18 AM

There are plenty of times when I want to relapse too, on a lot of the things that I did to deal with my depression.

I constantly feel overwhelmed with work, school, my social life, my band, and all the other things I have going on. I constantly feel like I'm letting people down when I delay on a deadline, or when I have to be late for rehearsal because of class, or when I have to work so many hours during the week, I just don't have enough energy left to do homework.

The point is, there are things you can do to manage these things. To deal with some of my... "urges," I started playing drums, which developed into me playing in a band. There things you can do to deal with your issues that you can put a positive spin on, and help you succeed. It will never totally replace the urge to self-harm, but it will make it a lot harder for you to relapse.

"Let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic, and we will change the world." - Jack Layton

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 26th 2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrel1 View Post
There are plenty of times when I want to relapse too, on a lot of the things that I did to deal with my depression.

I constantly feel overwhelmed with work, school, my social life, my band, and all the other things I have going on. I constantly feel like I'm letting people down when I delay on a deadline, or when I have to be late for rehearsal because of class, or when I have to work so many hours during the week, I just don't have enough energy left to do homework.

The point is, there are things you can do to manage these things. To deal with some of my... "urges," I started playing drums, which developed into me playing in a band. There things you can do to deal with your issues that you can put a positive spin on, and help you succeed. It will never totally replace the urge to self-harm, but it will make it a lot harder for you to relapse.
Don't you think I already have things that help prevent me from doing it? I haven't done it for one year. It's not like I just quit cold turkey. I think if you look back to the title of the thread, you can see what I actually need. I don't see a point in trying hard to keep myself from cutting, because I already have stuff to deal with. Why should I even bother?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 26th 2011, 03:27 AM

I went a year with out cutting and I was so so proud of my self and I thought okay Im done with it but then suddenly after the year }: I went back to it and felt so so bad i cryed seriously I cried when I cut after that year of not cutting. Im still very very mad at myself that I went back to it after a year of not doing it.

So yeah Im thinking you will feel really bad like I did if you go back so please please DO NOT go back to cutting.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 26th 2011, 05:40 AM

Then I'll leave you to it!

Good luck!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 26th 2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
I went a year with out cutting and I was so so proud of my self and I thought okay Im done with it but then suddenly after the year }: I went back to it and felt so so bad i cryed seriously I cried when I cut after that year of not cutting. Im still very very mad at myself that I went back to it after a year of not doing it.

So yeah Im thinking you will feel really bad like I did if you go back so please please DO NOT go back to cutting.
At least this answers something. So you're basically saying that I'll feel worse i start again than if I had been cutting the whole time?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 26th 2011, 02:43 PM

Im glad lostcause(Michael) what I wrote helped you and made sense to you. Yes Im saying you will feel worse If you start again. So do not go back to it at all you made it a year with out cutting so you can go longer and like I said you will feel worse if you go back to it.

chrissey40@ymail.com
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Boxy Offline
Clinically Liz
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Boxy or Liz

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - February 26th 2011, 09:15 PM

I've felt that exact same way many times before.
Some reasons to start caring:
SH IS harming your body.
SH leaves scars (although you may not care now, you might later).
Just to prove to yourself you can.
To prove to others you can be strong without pain.
Because you DON'T need it.
You've already been free for a year, you can keep going!

<3 Boxy

1:44 PM [Cassago] I'll be your glass slipper, if you'll be my foot..
1:45 PM [Boxy] i'll be your foot anyday

Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing

Send a message via AIM to Boxy Send a message via MSN to Boxy Send a message via Yahoo to Boxy Send a message via Skype™ to Boxy 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - March 1st 2011, 02:15 AM

Okay, it's been a few days since I responded, but I wanted to add that I am feeling a lot better. I'm still thinking about it, but I think I can get past it for now...

(#14 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - March 1st 2011, 04:11 AM

yayyy I am proud of you michael keep it up I knew you could do it. yes you can get past it just keep fighting the urges.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: I don't see a point in trying anymore... - March 1st 2011, 07:37 AM

Since you seem satisfied with the responses you've been given, I'm going to close this thread. If you want it reopened, PM me; you're also welcome to begin a new thread any time you want.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread