TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Epoh Offline
Love is in the tiniest places.
Not a n00b

Name: Judith

Smile What I Did For SIAD. =D - March 1st 2011, 07:46 AM

I decided that even though I keep my self-injury a secret, I wasn't about to not let people know the truths behind it. I hope to maybe change the misconceptions some people may have about self-injury. SO. I messaged every single person in my Facebook this message. (feel free to take it and use as you wish!)

-------------------------------------------------

How many of you know what self-harm is?

Self-harm, or self-injury involves self-inflicted bodily harm that is severe enough to either cause tissue damage or leave marks that do not fade within hours. The most well-known form of self-harm is cutting. There are many other types of self-harm. There is biting, burning, scratching, skin picking, hair-pulling, hitting the body with objects or hitting objects with the body, and multiple tattooing or piercings for reasons other than decorative. Acts done for ritual, sexual or ornamental purposes are not considered self-harm.

Understanding self-harm is the first step to changing it. It's always hard for people to understand why others self-harm. Self-harm should be taken seriously. It is not suicidal behavior. Self-harm can in-fact reduce the tension that could result in an actual suicide. It is a coping mechanism for emotional distress. Most people self-harm to try to externalize their emotional pain. Make it physical. They use self-harm as a way to control their pain, because physical pain is so much easier to control than emotional pain. There are other reasons why people self-harm. Some do it to punish themselves for something they might have done. Others use it to relieve stress or tension, to relax and calm themselves. Some even self-harm as a way to feel alive, real. They feel so ignored and so numb that they have to self-harm to know that they actually exist. But most of all, self-harm is a cry for help.

"People who self-harm are just trying to get attention."
We all seek attention all the time. Wanting attention isn't sick or bad. If someone is in so much distress and feels so ignored that the only way they can think of expressing their pain is by hurting themselves, then something is definitely wrong in their life and it's not a time to be making moral judgments about their behavior. Most people who self-injure go to great lengths to hide their wounds or scars. Many consider self-harm to be a deeply shameful secret and are completely terrified of others finding out that they injure themselves.

"If wounds aren't 'bad enough' self-harm isn't serious."
The severity of someones wounds DOES NOT determine how much emotional stress one is going through. People have different methods of self-harm and different pain tolerances. The only way to really know how much distress someone is going through is to ask them. Never assume.

If you suspect someone you care about is self-harming, be careful how you approach the situation. Your concern could actually come out as frustration and your comments may actually drive the person away. It is import to understand that what they are doing is a way to maintain a certain amount of control, it's their way of self-soothing. Let them know you care and that you will always listen. Encourage them to express their feelings, even anger. This will draw them away from self-harm. Spend time with them doing things that both of you enjoy. This is also away of distracting them. You could also offer a therapist or a group they could attend, but you should NEVER EVER make judgmental comments. Like, "why do you do that?" "that's crazy!" "you need some serious help if you are doing that." People who feel worthless and powerless are even more likely to injure.

Today, March 1st, is Self Injury Awareness Day. I encourage all of you to try and make people aware of this problem, and let people know the truths behind a lot of the misconceptions. You can show your support by wearing orange ribbons, wristbands, shirts, etc.

This is a devastating illness and should never be overlooked or ridiculed. Please spread the word. You might just help someone.

-------------------------------------

What we see depends
mainly on what
we look
for.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Euphoria Offline
Stained glass masquerade
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What I Did For SIAD. =D - March 2nd 2011, 07:56 PM

I really admire you for sending out that information to everyone on your FB page. That was really brave of you and it was really well written as well. Very good job with that!

While I did support SIAD this year and I made my closest friends aware of it in addition to my counselor and the adults who've been helping me, I hope that next year I can do something more to get the word out to everyone at my campus.

Thank you for inspiring me and for doing that. Who knows, you may have saved a life yesterday<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: What I Did For SIAD. =D - March 2nd 2011, 09:12 PM

Wow!!! That's amazing!! That's a great thing that you did. It's cool to think you probably changed someone's opinion about people that hurt themselves, or who knows, maybe you showed someone that they aren't alone and can get help, this is a really great message and it was nice to read.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: What I Did For SIAD. =D - March 2nd 2011, 11:09 PM

This is really great, well done you!

Did you get any responses to it? If you did what were they? x

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: What I Did For SIAD. =D - March 2nd 2011, 11:21 PM

i wish i wouldve known yesteryday aww i will next yr thou

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Iím catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Epoh Offline
Love is in the tiniest places.
Not a n00b

Name: Judith

Re: What I Did For SIAD. =D - March 3rd 2011, 03:25 AM

Thank you all for reading! I was scared to send it out because I was worried people may wonder WHY I was sending it out. (ie Do I, did I self harm?) But then I knew that changing views was more important to me than having someone speculate my situation. Thank you again for all your compliments! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia-Louise View Post
This is really great, well done you!

Did you get any responses to it? If you did what were they? x
I actually only got two responses. (I sent out 66) I wasn't that disappointed. I mean, if I received something like that I wouldn't know what to say. But I know that I would have been moved if I didn't know the extent of it.

One was from a guy friend of mine and he said that he felt that he had a friend that may be self harming and it helped him in how to approach it. Which I was SO happy for!!

The other one was also from a guy I work with, who is also a really good friend of mine and he just approached me at work and told me that he got the "long" (lol) message I sent. I asked him if he read it all and he said he normally wouldn't have but it seemed like something important. He also told me that he had no idea the extent of self harm and a lot of the misconceptions behind it. So there was a thought process changed which I was ECSTATIC about!

=D So yeah. I wish I knew what the other 64 people thought, but alas, I suppose I'll never know. =P

What we see depends
mainly on what
we look
for.

Closed Thread