TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Angeal Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ranada Givens

Relapse and Starting - March 2nd 2011, 12:07 AM

Okay, I have never cutted myself, but I used to dig my nails into my skin and bite myself until I made marks when my life was really screwed up, but I haven't done that in three years and this past weekend I started biting again, I haven't dug my fingers into my skin again, and I'm thinking about starting to cut, I don't want to but self harm is the only way I can get my mind off of things sometime. I don't like the fact that I bite myself, but it's just something I do, and it scares me that I've started again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Relapse and Starting - March 2nd 2011, 09:58 AM

Hey there.

I know that sometimes self harm seems like the only way to deal with thoughts and emotions, but it's not. Here's a list of alternatives to self harm; be aware that not every one will work for every person - it's a matter of figuring out what works for you. If you try one and it doesn't help, try another!

Have you tried talking to anyone about this? Friends, relatives, a therapist? It's usually not helpful to keep all this bottled up, and talking to someone can be a helpful, safe release.

You could try figuring out what makes you act this way. What are you feeling when you do this? Why are you feeling that? Isolating negative thoughts and emotions is the first step in overcoming them. Once you know what they are, and where they come from, you can start to deal with them.

Take care, and good luck.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Relapse and Starting - March 2nd 2011, 04:30 PM

Hey there.

I'm really sorry that things have gotten to the point where you're thinking about self harming again. You don't deserve to feel this way at all.

I really want to encourage you to take a look at the link of alternatives that Chess has previously sent you. And she's right, not everything on there will work for you but you can't let the things that don't work stop you from trying the other things.

Trying to find out what the cause to the problem is could be really helpful if you don't already know. I you know some triggers to self harm I suggest you always have a simple distraction like having an elastic band around you wrist at the ready to snap if you have any urges so that what you're out you have something in place. If theres a situation where you know you are going to be in a situation where its likely you will be triggered, ensure you have something there to help you.

Talking to people can be really helpful. Just someone to lean on and go to when you feel really bad. Someone who you can let in to some of your darkest secrets and who can support you in your lowest moments. You can talk to a family member, teachers, school nurse/counselor, your doctor and look into therapy. People love and care about you and they will want to help you but they can only do so if they know what's going on. And I know talking to people about personal things like this can be really scary and hard but it can be so worth it. You can go at your own pace too, you don't have to just start talking about everything straight away. People understand its hard to open up.

Hurting yourself isn't going to help in the long run. You don't deserve to hurt anymore than you already are doing.

Keep you chin up.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Angeal Offline
Average Joe

Re: Relapse and Starting - March 3rd 2011, 10:04 PM

Thanks to you both and I'm working on letting people know how I feel, because I do have one best friend and an adult I can talk to about anything, it's just I have major trust issues, and I'm working on not keeping everything bottled up, that's one of my major problems, but I am working on it, because honestly i don't want to harm myself any more either. Again Thanks.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Relapse and Starting - March 4th 2011, 02:40 AM

Hiya,

It's good that you say you don't want to harm yourself. Honestly, you really don't want to go down that route. I know that's easier said then done, but really when you start cutting, it can be so soo hard to stop.

I know what you mean about trust issues, but it's good that you have a best friend & adult you can talk to and with time you will build up the trust

Hope things start to get a bit better for you lovely

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Foreveralways Offline
Forever and alway<3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: M:)

Re: Relapse and Starting - March 4th 2011, 06:20 AM

Hey
That good that you don't want too cut! I don't want you to cut cause when you start you can't stop. It kinda takes over your life!
Have you tryed writing about it or you can take a ice cube and rub it were you want to cut.
Well with the trust issue, I'm like that its hard fore to trust people so I found writing on a peice of paper and giving to them might work.
Stay strong!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Angeal Offline
Average Joe

Re: Relapse and Starting - March 6th 2011, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the advice

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Crazy Offline
I am Becoming Me
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Storm

Re: Relapse and Starting - March 8th 2011, 08:17 PM

Hey sis. You know my feeling about cutting and that I do it. [Edited] It is your choice none the less. Just make the choice that will hurt you the least. AND IF YOU EVER COMMIT SUICIDE I WILL BRING YOU BACK TO LIFE AND BEAT YOU UP BEFORE TAKING YOU TO THE HOSTIPAL!!!!!!

***Waves*** -Storm

*IF YOU CAN NOT CHANGE SOMETHING CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE!!!*

Last edited by Fading Light.; March 9th 2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Please do not encourage other users to self harm.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Angeal Offline
Average Joe

Re: Relapse and Starting - March 9th 2011, 05:20 AM

K. I will keep that in mind

Closed Thread