TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

should i get it checked out? - March 4th 2011, 02:30 AM

Basically, I cut my arm two days ago. I could see the fatty tissue underneath the layer of the skin and decided to put some steri strips on to try and hold the wound together. Whilst they are holding it together mostly, the wound is still coming apart a bit and there's like this pale yellow fluid that comes out sometimes. Apologies if this is too much information but I was wondering if you think I should get this checked out?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Simplyme7 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: should i get it checked out? - March 4th 2011, 02:54 AM

I would definitely get it checked out if I were you. It could be serious.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: should i get it checked out? - March 4th 2011, 03:01 AM

Thanks. I think it could be a good idea to get it checked out but at the same time I'm 1) not keen on showing someone and 2) don't want to waste their time. There are plenty of people out there who genuinely need help through no fault of their own.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: should i get it checked out? - March 4th 2011, 08:54 AM

Is that it?! So yeah, I saw the doctor this morning. He asked how I got the cut so I told him I did it myself. He didn't hear me so asked me again it really made me feel quite comfortable. Then all he said was Oh, I'm sorry. Right... okay... is that it? I honestly don't know what I wanted him to say.

I'll be one of the first people to agree that self harm is not about attention seeking. But, I guess I just wanted him to say something. I need help, I don't know what kind of help but it's not working trying to stop it on my own. That's the third time this week that's happened! My personal tutor (wrote about that in another thread), the chem tutor and then the doctor. All of these people, I guess subconsciously I tried telling them to get them to help, but consciously I wanted them to just accept the information and not use it. I don't know, I'm not really making much sense here :/ Hope everyone has a reasonably good day today.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lucynyu101 Offline
'Ryuichi Sakuma'
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kezia

Re: should i get it checked out? - March 9th 2011, 03:49 AM

im glad you got it all checked out i hope all is well
Love and Peace,
-Kezia

Not all scars show, not all wounds heal Sometimes you can't always see the pain someone feels

Last Time I Cut
5/4/2011

(#6 (permalink)) Old
rac146 Offline
Missing Molly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ruth

Re: should i get it checked out? - March 10th 2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamz View Post
Is that it?! So yeah, I saw the doctor this morning. He asked how I got the cut so I told him I did it myself. He didn't hear me so asked me again it really made me feel quite comfortable. Then all he said was Oh, I'm sorry. Right... okay... is that it? I honestly don't know what I wanted him to say.

I'll be one of the first people to agree that self harm is not about attention seeking. But, I guess I just wanted him to say something. I need help, I don't know what kind of help but it's not working trying to stop it on my own. That's the third time this week that's happened! My personal tutor (wrote about that in another thread), the chem tutor and then the doctor. All of these people, I guess subconsciously I tried telling them to get them to help, but consciously I wanted them to just accept the information and not use it. I don't know, I'm not really making much sense here :/ Hope everyone has a reasonably good day today.
I know what you mean. I've told only a few people about my self hurt or depression issues, but everytime I'm met with an apathetic attitude from professions and people who are supposed to love me. I've told a few doctors (my first suicide attempt landed me in the hospital) my last boyfriend and my current, and also my mom. None of them seem to care. It's not that I want attention, I just want help.

Look a rattata!!!!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: should i get it checked out? - March 10th 2011, 03:17 AM

Hey, I'm really sorry you're going through such a tough time right now. You did the right thing by getting it checked out, even if you didn't get the best response. Having the maturity and confidence to get medical help for SI is something I can't say I don't envy. I hope you're proud of yourself for doing that. I guess if you want help, sometimes you have to ask for it. Maybe people should know that you need it when you tell them you SI, but SI is really confusing to those who haven't had experience with it personally. Sometimes it's difficult for people to know how to handle a situation involving that since they don't understand it. If your college has a counselor, it couldn't hurt to give them a chance to help you either.

Just Keep Breathing

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Saphire Offline
♥♥♥
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Saphire

Re: should i get it checked out? - March 10th 2011, 01:43 PM

Some people may feel awkward in a situation like this. Also, some people may feel that you don't want to talk about it because a lot of people who self harm don't feel as though they need help and are in denial. Therefore, maybe you should actually ask for help, then maybe you will get what you need. I hope everything goes ok xx

Saphire

Closed Thread