TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
trina Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: TRINA SURI

Lightbulb shameful scars - March 9th 2011, 04:35 AM

the reason why i still do sh is because my arms are so bad that they will never be normal again so why stop i feel like shit because no matter what i use its there forever im so angry that i cant wear lil dresses or shorts sleeves every thing is just wrong i didnt choose to come here and to be treated that way its horrible but what ever thanks for reading

dont say peace be peace

Last edited by Palmolive; March 9th 2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Removing prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Epoh Offline
Love is in the tiniest places.
Not a n00b

Name: Judith

Re: shameful scars - March 9th 2011, 05:41 AM

Hey, I totally understand where you are coming from with your scars. When you SH, at the time you aren't really caring about how you'll react to what's left on your body, you are just focusing on getting rid of your pain. So when you realize how hidden you have to be, it can be really frustrating.

I'm not to the point yet, but I wish to be someday, where I'm not afraid to show my scars. That will be a day when I've won my battle with SH. Someday, if you so choose, you will be able to do it too. ^^ Stay strong honey, you are only human. <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: shameful scars - March 9th 2011, 05:53 PM

Hey there. I can really understand your frustration. I know it may seem pointless to stop, but believe me, it's worth it. The feeling of accomplishment and self-empowerment is worth it. As for the scars, I wear cute wrist bands, but for arms there are also really great arm gloves. I'm not sure what they are actually called, but they are really cute. My friend wears one every day because of surgery scars, but it would work just as well for self-harm scars too. That way you could wear what you want without worrying about it. PM me if you ever want to talk

God, grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: shameful scars - March 9th 2011, 06:02 PM

Hey there

I can honestly understand how having scars from self harm can really set you back. Some times people with scars from self harm are to scared to let others see them because they think they will be judged, sometimes they think it makes then look 'ugly' or perhaps they feel ashamed that they have self harmed in the past.

Self harm does not make you any less of a person and that fact that you have had issues with self harm doesn't change you as a person. You're still you, you're still the same person.

I really suggest you try using something to try and help the scars fade, but of course this means in order for it to be productive you need to try and stop the self harming. You can use things such as palmers and bio-oil which had reduce scaring. These can often take time to have a big effect but they can really make a difference!

But I also think you need to see your scars differently. Don't think about them as a bad thing, think about them as a good thing. Don't be afraid to have you scars on show. Self harm was a way of you coping with a hard time and hard emotions. Theres nothing wrong with that and its nothing to be ashamed of. It proves you never gave up and that you fought through the hard time you had.

I really hope this helps.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread