TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cypher Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Dealing with the urge to cut - March 13th 2011, 08:01 AM

I haven't cut in weeks, and I'm really trying to stop but it builds up inside of me and it itches. I almost feel like I am being chased by it.

I try to call someone whenever I feel like cutting but it's often at night and nobody picks up the phone. That makes it even harder.

What can I do when I get the urge to prevent myself from cutting anymore?

I know I need help. I'm scared, embarrassed and I don't know where to start.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Dealing with the urge to cut - March 13th 2011, 03:14 PM

Hey there.

I want to start by saying that I am really glad you have come here to ask for some support. Thats a great step in the right direction.

It's good that you try to ring people when you have these urges. I am sorry that its normally late at night which means they don't answer. I know it might not be the same but you can always try ringing a helpline. Here is a link to the contact details .... http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f3-general/t22-hotlines/. These people do this job because they want to help people like yourself. They understand that it is going to be difficult for you to open up to them and they won't push you in to speaking, you can take it at your pace and say what you want to say when you are ready. They won't judge you either. These people want to help you.

Also here is a link to a list of alternatives to self harm ... http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/. I don't know if you have already tried distracting yourself when you have urges but it really can help us to do so. Not everything out there will work for you so it's all about keeping on trying new things until you find the ones which do help you and not letting the ones which don't help stop you from doing so. I know sometimes it can be hard to want to try using distractions but you have to really force yourself because they can help.

Have you got anyone to talk to? Does anyone know about the way you're feeling and about the self harm? If they don't perhaps you could try and talk to someone. Maybe a parent of another trusted family member. You could even talk to a school nurse/counselor or a teacher if you're still in education and you could always see your doctor and look in to therapy. All these people care about you and want to help you start to feel better, but they can only do so if they know what is going on.

I know things are hard for you right now but they can get better. You have your whole life ahead of you and there is so much to live for. You're worth so much more than self harm and you can beat it and life a life to be self harm free. You can do this!

I hope this helps.
Keep your chin up and stay strong.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cypher Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dealing with the urge to cut - March 13th 2011, 03:36 PM

Thank you for your reply,

I haven't told many people about my self harm. My two best friends know about it but that's about it.
Nobody in my family knows about the cutting. I have tried to distract myself with many alternatives but am greatly discouraged.
Nothing seems to work well for me.

I haven't ever called a hotline, I'm worried that they will locate me, and try to "help" me in some way I don't want.

I know it sounds paranoid, but I don't want people to think I am crazy... That's why my doctor doesn't know either...

Although, he is treating me for depression...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Dealing with the urge to cut - March 13th 2011, 04:33 PM

Hey there

It's good you managed to let your two best friends into your self harm. Friends are great people to confide in because they love you for who you are and want to be there.

However although I am pleased you have them sometimes we need more professional help and I really want to urge you try and talk to someone else about the self harm and how you are feeling.

I want you to know that any hotline you will ring won't judge you. Some admittedly like childline might locate you if they are concerned you are at serious risk to your self and think you might be considering suicide seriously. If you spoke to a helpline about self harm theres a very little chance they will locate you. A lot of hotlines and organisations are there to deal with people who self harm. I am not sure where you live but if you do live in the UK Samaritans are really good people to talk to. I know I have used them and I know others who have and they have been really helpful. I am pretty confident in saying they won't contact anyone or locate you in any situation. They really encourage you to talk to them if you are feeling suicidal and that it will be confident. If you do live in the UK it might be worth checking them out. Here is a link to their site ... http://www.samaritans.org/.

Professionals who you confide in such as doctors, nurses etc will not think that you are crazy at all. You will be surprised at how many people they come across who are either suffering just with depression, self harming or who are suicidal. They understand about these things and they will deal with it in an appropriate manor. They will not think you are crazy at all. And if anyone, absolutely anyone were to think you were crazy because of it such as family or friends, then thats their problem not yours. It shows more about them as people than it does you. This doesn't make you crazy at all.

People really can help you. Even if its just for you to have someone there who you can trust and just let in to your thoughts and darkest secrets. Someone who can encourage you and just be there for you.

You really can beat this chicka.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread