TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kait

Urge to cut - March 15th 2011, 05:17 AM

I have never cut before and my life is going okay but for about 3 days now I have had the never stopping urge to cut and it's not helping that my parents are asleep and there are knives in the kitchen i don't know how to stop it

Everyone has to date a few jerks so they know when they have found a true gem<3

Ya I know ironic that someone named dark and depressed is helping people

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: Urge to cut - March 15th 2011, 12:05 PM

Hey,
So firstly, it probly took some serious courage to post this and be willing to get people's advice about it, so congrats on that =) Here's the thing...cutting is NOT something you want to start. There are (of course) LOTS of risks that come with it. Infections, scarring, and people seeing your cuts, and there's always the possibility that you could go deeper than intended or hit something you really don't wanna hit and end up dead. Also, cutting is addictive. VERY addictive. If you start, you'll be opening yourself up to SO many problems. It can take over so much of your focus. Always having to think about wanting it, then about hiding it, and staying safe about it. All the time it takes to cut and to obsess over it is time that should be spent solving whatever problem is making you want to cut in the first place. If you already know what's making this look like an option to you, it'd really be good to talk to someone about it. It's scarry and I get that, but it's alot safer of a situation than one you'll find yourself in with cutting. If you want you can tell them (a friend, family member, teacher, guidance counselor...basically whoever you're most comfortable with) about your urges. Or you could just say what causes them. If you're not sure why exactly you're feeling this way, that's the first thing you've gotta do. Figure it out. Look at your life and at yourself and try to see where things are triggering. Try to distract yourself or put yourself into something constructive (sports, music, whatever you like). I PROMISE you cutting will NOT have been worth it. Stay strong. Stay away from any object you don't feel you can trust yourself with. If you need anything you can always PM me

Just Keep Breathing

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Urge to cut - March 15th 2011, 12:43 PM

Control yourself. Cutting is an awful habit. You are at the opportunity where you don't even have to start it. Distract yourself. Find something else other than cutting to relieve yourself. Exercise. Write, draw. Squeeze pillows. Don't pick up the knives. If you still need to talk about this, or if you still can't fight the urges, we are always open to talk to you.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

Closed Thread