TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Relapsing. - March 16th 2011, 08:17 AM

(Before I begin, let me provide a trigger warning).

Hello, all. I haven't utilized this site in quite a while, especially seeing as how I've been busy with school and everything. In any case, I had a relatively severe self-injury problem a few years ago, and during my junior year, I was hospitalized/rehabilitated for both cutting and an eating disorder. Although I was temporarily prescribed some anti-anxiety and -depression medication, I never found it particularly effective--if anything, it merely put me to sleep and left me completely dysfunctional (and undoubtedly without much personality). I haven't been able to stick to any one therapist due my unreliable family, unstable financial situation, and virtually nonexistent transportation (I now live in student housing and don't have much transportation). A few months ago, I became extremely intoxicated (via alcohol) and ended up mildly cutting my forearm (which I hadn't done in nearly two years!)--and my friend, who clearly doesn't have much experience with SI, had me transported to the ER (whereby I received horrid treatment--they kept me there for twelve hours on some bogus psych. hold, and once I convinced the social worker that I hadn't SI-ed in a couple of years, they finally realized that it was simply too much alcohol and bad judgment on my part--and shortly thereafter allowed me to leave). Needless to say, I have cut myself a few times since then--and although it doesn't provide the same element of satisfaction that it used to, I still find myself obsessed with the thought of cutting and obtaining razorblades. I haven't felt this way in so long--and I don't really know how to handle it :/ My family MUST absolutely remain in the dark about this--if they find out, they're likely to manipulate the situation and have me ripped out of college.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Relapsing. - March 16th 2011, 08:35 AM

Well, for starters. You can take all of your past experiences. Is cutting really giving you any good advantages in life? Cutting has only lead to horrible events in your life. It isn't worth it. It isn't worth it at all. Picking up a blade isn't the solution to whatever hardships, or problems you are going through. So I think the first way to quit cutting, is to just remember all the trouble you go through whenever you do cut. You either end up in the hospital, or you put yourself into a mental breakdown. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or anything, I am just trying to give you the honest truth. I really care about your safety, and I don't want you to harm yourself, so I just want to make sure you get the picture. I want to make sure you actually see how much cutting ruins your life.

Have you tried to do anything to motivate or distract yourself? Have you tried doing exercise? Doing some type of sports. Or do what I did. I took up running. Or just jogging around your neighborhood. Or try writing, or drawing. That is also good. If you want to get rid of your urges, you can try putting on a rubber band around your wrist, and just flick that. You can also hold ice cubes, or squish pillows. There are more that I can give you. You are also more than welcome to talk to us, if you ever have problems, or feel like you are going to have a breakdown. I know that you don't want your family to know, and I guess that is understandable. But sometimes family can be your number one support. So don't always single out your family. Once again, I just worry about you. Welcome back to TH too. .

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapsing. - March 16th 2011, 09:21 AM

Hi, Jesse. Thank you kindly for the response. Unsurprisingly, my circumstances wouldn't seem to substantiate this kind of behavior--I go to SC, have a pretty impressive GPA, have an amazingly supportive boyfriend (despite cultural differences, he does his best to sympathize with what I'm going through), and a few decent friends. Nevertheless, given my upbringing, I don't know what it means or how it feels to be "normal", or rather, "content"--if that makes sense. As a child and adolescent, my identity was always rooted in having these kinds of problems, regardless of how academically functional or how involved I was in extra-curriculars. I strongly suspect that I have borderline personality disorder. I've been trying to get help at the counseling center at my school, but given their limited time and resources, they don't seem to have any problem trying to pass me off to someone else (despite how much I've emphasized that I can't use my parents' medical insurance--although this might change). I just feel so incredibly lost--I haven't yet acclimated to living on my own and not being constantly burdened by the omnipresence of my dysfunctional family. Thanks for caring, by the way. And I apologize for the round-about rant, haha.

Closed Thread