TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy lost and confused - March 24th 2011, 09:38 PM

I haven't cut for five months. However I have been really close to cutting again. Life is really crazy. Everything is going so fast. I don't have time to think. I NEED help. I need something to get might mind off of cutting. I really can't do that again. My parents care so much for me. I cannot dissapoint them! Can someone please help!!!

Last edited by Palmolive; March 24th 2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Removing prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kait

Re: lost and confused - March 24th 2011, 09:49 PM

First off I would just like to say welcome to TH and I think it great that you are resting to cut again. Why don't you put or throw away any knives, razors or anything you can SH with or if you can't do that when your getting that urge sit beside one of your parents so your not temped. Or you could look at and try the list of self harm alternatives (it a sticky at the top of the SH page) but please don't cut you know that you don't want to!

Everyone has to date a few jerks so they know when they have found a true gem<3

Ya I know ironic that someone named dark and depressed is helping people

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: lost and confused - March 24th 2011, 10:06 PM

Hey there.

Firstly I want to let you know how glad I am that you have come here to get help while you're struggling. That's a really positive step forward in the right direction and something you should be really proud of yourself for!

Going five whole entire months with out self harming is really great! Thats a true inspiration and something you really need to hold on to.

For now I really want to encourage you to try and use some alternatives especially if you haven't already. It will simply help you to distract your mind which hopefully will help the urges fade away and you won't feel the need to hurt yourself. Of course the urges are not going to stay away for ever so it's important you keep trying to use distractions every time you get urges. Not every single alternative out there is going to help you. It's all about trial and error. When you try to use a distraction and it doesn't help you, don't let it set you back. Keep on going and try something else.

Do you know what's making you feel so bad that you're wanting to hurt yourself? If you don't then it might be a good idea to explore your thoughts and try to figure out the cause and triggers to your self harming. If you do I want you to know that you're more than welcome to talk to us here about it all if you want to. What ever it is that's going on for you and making you feel this way, you don't have to be alone. You don't deserve to be feeling so bad and you definitely don't deserve be going through this pain.

I really want you to try and find a healthy way to express your emotions. Some people find doing art a really helpful way to express your emotions. You could try drawing, painting or making collages or you could eve do some photography. You might find that doing a sport such as swimming, running or kick boxing might help you. Perhaps if you're in to writing you could try and keep a diary/journal where you can write down what thoughts are going through your mind and how you are feeling. Or you could even try writing poems or lyrics. Talking to people could really help you too. You could try talking to us here at teenhelp, a school nurse/counselor, a teacher, a doctor, a helpline or a family member. These are all people who care about you and want to help you but for them to do so you have to let them in.

You're never alone in this and you're so much stronger than self harm and you are worth so much more than it. You can beat this, you really can.

Keep believing.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: lost and confused - March 24th 2011, 10:06 PM

Hi,
It's great you want to stop cutting! it's not easy to stop but you can do it. I think you should try distracting yourself. Try writing down your feelings in a journal, walks or running, watch tv or a movie, there are many alternatives. Th actually has a great list www.teenhelp.org/alternatives. It doesn't have some alternatives so you can make your own. Also, I would suggest talking to someone such as a counselor to get help with your sh. Also talk to your parents, it sounds like they really care about you and want the best for you.
I hope I've helped if you need someone talk to you can pm or vm me.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread