TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VoodooGirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Someone To Talk To About SH - March 26th 2011, 02:53 AM

I don't self harm anymore, I haven't for a long time. But I still want someone to talk to, maybe about it, and about other stuff. Not a friend, even friends with great intentions don't really know what to do about it. I just want someone to talk to all the time, everytime I think about it, and not give a shit about they're personal opinion of me. I can't do this with someone my age, someone that could be my friend, I want a professional honestly. But I don't want to tell my parents. So a therapist or something, is out of the question. I've thought about speaking to the school counselor, but are they the type to just let you talk to them about things on your mind, or are they the type to deal with urgent issues?

If so, then what can I do?

Take A Sad Song and Make It Better (8)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: Someone To Talk To About SH - March 26th 2011, 03:04 AM

Do you hav any friends who are older than you? Maybe someone who's a senior or someone in their twenties? Those types of people can be good. Also your school counselor is a great idea. They're there to help you out with whatever's on your mind. Also if you ever want or need to you can PM me for whatver

Just Keep Breathing

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Someone To Talk To About SH - March 26th 2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLearn View Post
I don't self harm anymore, I haven't for a long time. But I still want someone to talk to, maybe about it, and about other stuff. Not a friend, even friends with great intentions don't really know what to do about it. I just want someone to talk to all the time, everytime I think about it, and not give a shit about they're personal opinion of me. I can't do this with someone my age, someone that could be my friend, I want a professional honestly. But I don't want to tell my parents. So a therapist or something, is out of the question. I've thought about speaking to the school counselor, but are they the type to just let you talk to them about things on your mind, or are they the type to deal with urgent issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLearn View Post

If so, then what can I do?
I'm not discuraging you to talk to your school counselor just now that they are just like therapist if they know your hurting yourself or feel like you need to...or they feel like you are in danger they have to tell your parents. With that said if you want I know what you mean I used to cut and still think about it a lot. It will be 4 years in about a month and a half. So you can always talk to me if you want I have aim, msn, yahoo if you have any of those.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Someone To Talk To About SH - March 26th 2011, 03:39 AM

livelearn you can talk to me about self harm or anything else if you want no Im not a professional but I love helping people and truely care Im studying Psychology Im 18. My email is chrissey40@ymail.com I dont mind if you email me. {:

I understand trust me that you dont want to tell your parents you want a therapist but you got to just get up the courage to say mom I just want to see a therapist I have been sad lately and need help dealing with whatever you need to deal with. I was scared like you to tell my parents I wanted a therapist and because of that I suffered with depression for 2 years before I got help. I didnt have to suffer that long with depression I really didnt if only I asked earlier I would have not suffered that long with it. Same with you, you dont have to suffer any longer you dont need to prolong it just ask your mom to see one its less scary then you think.

HUGGGSSSS {:
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Someone To Talk To About SH - March 27th 2011, 02:32 AM

Hey Sam,

Believe it or not, school counselors can be there just to talk to, and they don't work on a priority system. They won't dismiss you just because your problems aren't "as big" as some other peoples' issues.

I went to my college counselor before, and though I personally didn't like it (he seemed to make a lot of assumptions), doesn't mean you won't like seeing your counselor. But as Frankie said, there is a chance that if they feel you're a danger to yourself or others, they CAN tell your parents.

Personally, I say you may as well give it a try, and schedule an appointment, but at your own risk. Talking to someone may prove very beneficial.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Someone To Talk To About SH - March 27th 2011, 02:54 AM

As others have said, you're school counselor seems like your best option if you don't want to tell your parents yet, or ever. I don't think they'll have to tell your parents since you don't do it anymore. Actually I'm in a counseling class right now and the professor says that if someone is cutting you don't necessarily have to tell their parents, or at least not right away unless the cutting is associated with suicide. As you said though you don't do it anymore, so it couldn't hurt to schedule an appointment.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread