TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
number32 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I'm Mental. - March 26th 2011, 07:18 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My therapist told me not to use glass to cut myself, and I decided to use a knife yesterday when my mum made me feel stupid.
But the knife just would draw any blood so I smashed up a glass vase and now I have a whole bag of glass in my wardrobe.

I just had enough and I was being really weird. I cut my arms up with the glass and started painting with my blood. I don;t know what was wrong with me.
When I cut, I stripped off a whole loads of skin and it doesn't look too great...

I just don;t know what's wrong with me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: I'm Mental. - March 26th 2011, 08:17 AM

This is getting intense. For the sake of your safety, I want you to throw away the glass. As you can see, it doesn't do any better justice, than the knife did. I don't want you to hurt yourself. I understand it is hard for you to control the urges. This is your way with dealing with all of the problems that you face. I know you feel alone. You are not alone. When you are talking with your therapist, be honest with them. Tell them your whole situation. You need to take all the help that you can get at this point. You don't deserve any of this. Talk to your mother. You need all the support that you can have. I'm very proud of you for sharing this with us. It is very frustrating to talk about these sorts of things. I understand that you want help. You don't want the guilt of hurting yourself. I have faith that you are going to be able to get through this. I don't ever want to see you pick up a blade, or a piece of glass. For the time being, throw away the glass. That is the first step. Next, tell your mother about this. Be sure to tell your therapist as well. I know it's difficult, but it is all worth it. Don't be afraid to talk to us if you feel upset. We are always here to help.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I'm Mental. - March 26th 2011, 03:33 PM

Hey there.

I agree with the above. For your own safety you really need to try and get rid of the glass. Because at the end of the day people can advise you, tell you what you need to do and be there, but you're in control. You can either just listen to what they're saying or act upon what they're saying. And I can understand that throwing the glass out will be a big step for you, but it could be a break through and you can use this as a point start of recovery.

I know things are hard for you right now but you ARE worth so much. And you don't deserve to be going through the pain that you're are going through. Even more so you don't deserve this pain you're putting yourself in. You do not deserve to hurt anymore than you are already doing. You are worth so much.

If you have already I really want to encourage you to try using alternatives to self harm. I know sometimes when we're in the moment with the urges we don't as such want to help ourselves because we want to hurt ourselves but you have to really force yourself to use the distractions to help you. I'm not saying that every distraction you try is going to work for you, because not all of them will help you. But there are ones out there which will help so its all about trial and error. And don't let the ones which don't help you set you back. Keep on trying new things.

Lastly, be honest with people, let them in and take their advice and work with them because there is a way out of this and you can go on to feel better and live a life with out self harm. You can do this, you can beat this. I know you.

Stay strong and keeping smiling. You ARE worth so much.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread