TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ali Bali Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alison

what would happen? - March 29th 2011, 08:50 PM

the thoughts and the harming is getting worse quickly a friend that knows is threatening to tell someone if i don't stop by myself or go to a doctor. i'm not sure what to do, i can't stop i don't really want to stop it. if i did go to a doctors what would happen? would my parents have to be told? would i be forced into anything? would they be angry that i damage my own body? i'm scared and totally confused/lost

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: what would happen? - March 29th 2011, 09:17 PM

Hey there.

I am really sorry that you're going through this right now. You don't deserve to feel like this at all.

I think if you went to your doctors they may be able to keep in confidential because you're sixteen+. I am not however, completely sure. I do know that chances are they will offer you counseling etc in which case it might be a good idea to agree with so that you can get help and get to a place where you want to stop self harming and step in to recovery and have that support along the way. But again, I am not %100 positive that your doctor will keep in confidential so perhaps its something you could ask before you tell them. If you were to go in to counseling and went under a children's service, they might make your parents aware of self harm issues, but leave the details. If you were to go in to adults it would all be confidential. I believe you're at that age (16-18) where you can actually go in to either.

Saying all of that, I think you need to face the fears of the possibility of your parents finding out and talk to your doctor anyway. And i honestly know how scary this can feel and how nerve racking it can be but if this is your step to getting help and getting out of this life where you have to self harm and hurt yourself to cope with your life and to deal with things which bother and upset you then surly its more than worth it. You can go in to recovery. You can get help and support to guide you through this. There is so much hope left and you do not have to do it on your own. People can help you if you let them in.

Doctors and other professionals won't judge you or think anything bad of you for self harming. Admittedly you might come across some people who are more understanding that others, but not one of them will think you're a bad person because of it. Self harm certainly does not make you a bad person and its not in their profession to think that at all. I do also believe no one can force you to do anything, but again, if you're offered help I really think taking it would be the best option, because you are worth more than this.

I hope you're doing okay. Keep smiling.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lovehatelife23 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Leslie

Re: what would happen? - March 29th 2011, 09:23 PM

Well how bad did u do it? Do you feel like going? Is it getting worse then wat you think? If it is i would go. Sometimes they cant do anything bout it. Sometimes they can. It all depends on who the doc n wat they would do for u. So i wouldnt be scared. If they have to do something bout it then u just have to make sure youll be ok with wat the doc says.

R.I.P
CJ Collins 1993-2008
He was a Awesome Kid
I Love you n Miss you

You learn at a certain pace. Then that pace goes away. Then

you try and try to do everything you can. Then it gets harder.

Then you give up. Then its all over.

Leslie
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lovehatelife23 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: what would happen? - March 30th 2011, 11:39 PM

Hiya,

Someone mentioned counselling from your doctor - at your age, you are in fact only eligible for children's counselling, not adult. At 16 your doctor cannot legally say anything to your parents.

Here's some information on doctor patient confidentiality for teenagers:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/support/...yteenage.shtml

Although your friend is only looking out for you, she really has no right to tell anyone else. Ultimately it's your decision. If you *really* don't want to go to the doctor, could you not just tell your friend you have? I do think it may be a good idea to talk to someone though.

Take care lovely

Closed Thread