TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

View Poll Results: How does your school treat the issue of self harm?
They inform students about it and are supportive 0 0%
They make some effort, but not enough 19 28.79%
They completely ignore the issue 38 57.58%
Don't really know 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 07:41 PM

I'm just wondering about how your school deals with the issue of self harm. Is it talked about at all? Are teachers understanding? Is the issue just ignored?

Personally, my school has never mentioned anything about self harm and teachers pretty much just ignore it if they find out someone is self harming.

Do you have any experiences with teachers? Were they helpful or not?

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.commers
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 07:47 PM

While at school a few teachers knew about it but didnt really have anything to help students other then what they thought was right
as some people are teachers are misinformed or not at all
more should be done to raise awareness in and around schools
not only for support but for genral knowldge againt taboos

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lace

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 07:50 PM

my teacher saw it...brought me down to the counsoling office and they told me i had to go to the hospital and i refused and they were like...oh...okay...just shrugged it off completely which in a way i was happy about but then again i wasnt..

"All right, you win, but I only give you one night
To prove yourself to be better than my attempt at flight

I swear to god if you hurt me I will leap
I will toss myself from these very cliffs
And you'll never see it coming"
"Settle, precious, I know what you're going through
Just ten minutes before you got here I was gonna jump too"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anna Skye Offline
live and let love...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 07:53 PM

I think it's kind of disturbing to see the percentage of schools that DON'T address the issue of SH (my school included.)

peace and love

If you read this signature,
know that someone cares about you.
You are not alone.

<3 Contact me

last cut: 4 august 2010
last purge: 13 march 2010

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 07:54 PM

The college I'm at, does NOTHING. But a lot of people there just might not know it's an issue.

The middle school I went to had no choice but to do something, becuase it was happening so often (specifically cutting). There were rumors of who was doing it, so (based on the rumors) they started calling people into the counsling offices. All they did there was say to "stop" and called parents. There were peer counselors that continued the rumors by confirming who was called it. Then it seemed like all of a sudden they stopped doing anything at all. Teacher were informed too, so most of the students called in were treated different. They didn't help anyone, and I know that in some cases they made it worse.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 07:56 PM

My secondary school were alright about it. They never talked about it, but they really gave support to people that did self harm. One teacher of mine used to clean my cuts and dress them, and just talk to me about whatever was bothering me. There's a place there called learning support that you can go to if you're feeling stressed, there are always people to talk to.

I just wished that they'd done an assembly on it or something so that people were more aware, cos a lot of people got laughed at because of it, including me.

x

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 08:01 PM

I don't personally have any experience with actually talking to the teachers about it but I know a few people who have.
There's a sign on one of the 'counsellors' doors saying 'self harm' and then it talks about the whole if you need someone to talk to about it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 08:06 PM

No idea, I've never wanted to tell anyone about it. However, I would have guessed that it would have been ok and dealt with confidentially

(#9 (permalink)) Old
chanise Offline
Forever&Always
Average Joe

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 08:18 PM

At my Old secondry school they were very supportive. -Although the confidentially thing went completly out the window. - When the teacher i was close with found out she explained to me the seriousness of it all and so on... She helped me though she helped me get support she took me to speak to someone during her free periods. But she couldnt do all that without telling Other staff members which i guess is understandable because she was taking me out of school and stuff.
The teachers who taught me worked hard and tried their best to help me through this which i was very greatfull for.
But otherwise SH was not something made aware off to the rest of the year group.

In my new school though In our P.H.S.C.E lesson's we learn about S/H and other things like that too which is very good. We even have this annomyous box were you could write in questions about it and then our teacher would talk about it in the next class without mentioning who asked to go over the subject.. we do that 2 times a week which is good! =)

Always happy to help =)
I Love Andrea.... =)
Forever.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
lauren_160 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauren

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 08:27 PM

My sixth form, (which was also my school) completely ignore the issue, if they find out someone is doing it they completely sweep it under the mat and keep it all quiet. When a friend of mine went to a teacher for help with self harm, she asked why we're not educated on it to understand it,
his reply
- Because it could cause an epidemic of self harm with in the school, its almost like promoting it.
which is fair enough i guess
but then he added
>And that would be bad publicity for the school.

nob'ed.

I think that every school should educate their students on self harm and mental health in a way that people know there is someone there, rather than feeling helpless because its never talked about.

Lauren

"The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

"But in the ruins there is still a canvas. There is still beauty in your brokenness. The faded scars show healing reminding me that even though Iíve been in dark places, Iíve survived and learned and become stronger".

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Losing_Control Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 08:30 PM

A teacher last year found out that I SH'd. She reported to the guidance office, and they called me down and tried to get me to talk. Then I had to go to the nurse and show her my burns. They called my parents and told them, but then pretty much left it up to my parents to do get me to go to counseling. A lot of teachers in my school freak out and don't know what to do if they know someone is self-harming.

"I'm falling even more in love with you
letting go of all I've held onto"
- Lifehouse

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 08:36 PM

They completely ignore the issue.
I know for a fact a teacher saw my cuts once and it just got completely ignored.
The only comment i've ever heard from a teacher upon the issue was 'it's just attention seeking' when a couple of people were talking about it in my class.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
They completely ignore the issue.
I know for a fact a teacher saw my cuts once and it just got completely ignored.
The only comment i've ever heard from a teacher upon the issue was 'it's just attention seeking' when a couple of people were talking about it in my class.
I've had that too.. a group of girls were talking about it in class and the teacher was just like, "ohh that's so attention seeking.. isn't that what those emos do?" -sigh-

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#14 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 09:02 PM

At my school I was quite close with this teacher and she knew about my self harm and was supportive of me and helped me a lot. At college my tutor knew and she was understanding. I haven't really had any bad experiences with teachers knowing.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 09:44 PM

At my school Self Harm is never mentioned, except for one poster in a corridor.
When teachers found out about my cutting they sat me down, basically tod me life would get better etc. then left me to it. They haven't mentioned it to me since.

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 09:49 PM

I've never dealt with any teachers about it but my brother has. I know most of our teachers though are really uninformed about self-harm though. Being a small school though, where people tend to know anything and EVERYTHING about you, teachers sometimes sidestep doing things about it because they leave it to the person's friends sometimes.

In my brother's case though it was kind of unavoidable...a teacher actually saw him cutting and ya...He was really supportive through all of it though. I'm sooooo thankful for him. I don't know what my brother would've done had he not taken him to the hospital and what not.

Basically I guess what I"m trying to say is there's those select few teachers who would do something and who actually are supportive and care and then theres those who totally don't understand it at all...

(#17 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 09:53 PM

Self Harm??? Who talks about THAT in school.....
Yeah my school does NOTHING about it.... not even in our health classes....

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 10:33 PM

My school ignored it and when a teacher found out a kid did it they told him to "get over it and grow up".

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 10:39 PM

I have to say I'm shocked that some schools do absolutely nothing on the subject, especially some of the teachers' responses! I thought mine was bad for not doing that much on it. At least they did something!

We had a couple of lessons on self harm in PSHE. I felt really uncomfortable in them, which clearly showed as my teacher asked to speak to me after. I never directly told her that I self harmed, but she presumed that I did and simply spoke to me about how often I'd been doing it for etc. and whether it was because of something in school. As soon as I said that it wasn't, the issue was dropped. Even though nothing else was said she was understanding.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
WordNerd
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lindsay

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:02 PM

idk about my high school but in middle school it was ignored unless someone specificlly told the councilars

"If you are going to tell the truth, be funny, or they'll kill you."
-Billy Wilder

My tumblr is mydalekromance.tumblr.com please visit me there.

feel free to contact me anytime.
Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing
  Send a message via AIM to llamasliketoparty  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Tecatholic Offline
Average Joe

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:03 PM

For the most part my school does nothing about the issue unless the student is going to it so deep that they die. and then they just call the parents nothing more.

Send a message via MSN to Tecatholic Send a message via Yahoo to Tecatholic Send a message via Skype™ to Tecatholic 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:06 PM

Like my thread in Good Days. My school shocked me when they supported SIAD. We learn about some of it in Religion classes and in Health classes. If one of my teachers found out they usually talk about it with the students before notifying anyone.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#23 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:11 PM

Honestly, my school never has mentioned the subject. And I honestly wouldn't say it's a very uncommon thing at my school. There are actually quite a few people I know at my school that do it, and it seems like it is just ignored by the teachers unless you bring it up.
Like, one of my friends had to finally be taken to someone (by me) for her problem to be noticed. And then we find out that there's a teacher there who is a liscensed counselor and deals with this sort of stuff daily. Yet, it is still ignored. (Because she was definitely my friend's teacher)
I have talked to a few teachers about it. And they have been very willing to talk me through everything and anything. I don't think the teachers really are told anything about dealing with it. I just think that the ones I've talked to are one of the ones who are willing to. Many probably would say, I can't do it, I'm not up to it or not licensed to. But honestly, if they don't, I think the teachers should be taught how to deal with that sort of stuff.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:20 PM

Well, no one at my school self harms, or at least if they do *I doubt it, highly* it's not payed any mind to. I think that is because most of the kids only make fun of people who self harm or think about SH. Plus, at my school they don't pay attention to anything except whose following the rules or breaking them. It's ridiculous. But oh well, what can you do?

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#25 (permalink)) Old
hellokitty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tamsdon Dove

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:21 PM

In my opinion, I think people are afraid that awareness will raise the number of people who self-harm. I have had nice teachers... I think that when the head/guidence councelor finds out a student self-harms, it'd be nice if the teachers were informed. I'd love to have one of those health classes with annonymous boxes to ask real questions and talk about it, but an assembly about it wouldn't be good. I know I'd hate to sit there while people talked on a stage/etc. talking about it while I have scabs and burns under my clothes and friends/a teacher or two around that know. Teachers are all different, have had different experiences, and different amounts of dedication/time/attention. Ultimately, though, teachers half to tell or find a way for the parents to know what is going on with the student if it is harmful to them.

bring back the :rockon: smiley.
  Send a message via AIM to hellokitty Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Marionette. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:21 PM

Ohmyword. Once my PE teacher saw scars, and started like dissing me in front of my whole class. Telling me that it's childish, I need to grow up, there's children in africa that have nothing and just stuff like that. There was alot that really upset me but it was awhile ago so I don't really remember.
Everyone was just silent and I just wanted to run off. It was horrible.

But generally, as a school, it's pretty much ignored. Thankfully though it's not really much of an issue.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette. View Post
Ohmyword. Once my PE teacher saw scars, and started like dissing me in front of my whole class. Telling me that it's childish, I need to grow up, there's children in africa that have nothing and just stuff like that. There was alot that really upset me but it was awhile ago so I don't really remember.
Everyone was just silent and I just wanted to run off. It was horrible.
Oh my God, your gym teacher should be fired...
What a jerk.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#28 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:29 PM

I would say my school was supportive, yes. One of my teachers found out and had to tell my head of year about it, but they did keep it to themselves, though eventually my parents did find out.

Initially when my teacher found out she asked me a few basic questions then my head of year started to seek a bit more detail on the matter. He asked a couple of questions that I thought where odd "When you do it do you bleed?" and "What do you use?" I guess now though looking back he was just assessing how at risk to myself I was and whether he needed to take it any further. He offered the school counsellor and several other pastoral teachers I could talk to if I wanted to. He did make me feel a bit stupid and small, but the teacher herself was amazing, she was always there for me and supported me so much, I'll never be able to re pay her for what she did for me that year. She took blades off me so I couldn't hurt myself, she emailed me on weekends and over holidays, she was there every lunch time and after school if I needed her, she was honestly amazing, the best teacher you could ever ask for. I won't lie though she did get frustrated at times that I continued to do it and wouldn't stop, but I guess that was just because she cared and it was annoying for her to see I carried on with this behaviour. Although she was brilliant she went behind my back a couple of times for a few things and the trust we had did get knocked, I still admire her so much though.

My head of year however, well he did something that completely pissed me off to be frank. One of my best friends at the time was self harming too (although we didn't know about each other and were only brief friends until we found out and then got a whole lot closer) was really close to him and spoke to him quite a lot, one evening I walked her down to see him because we had both stayed after school, and obviously he knew about both our self harm and he said to her "What is this? Some kind of self harm club?" Now, if she hadn't known about my self harm that would have been a complete violation of confidentiality, luckily she did, but still it got to us both.

Other then that ^^ I had a pretty positive experience with my school, I wouldn't say they fully understood it, but they did have some idea.

They never really said anything about it in PSE lessons or anything like that, there was no lessons to show awareness for it or to teach us about it, I guess it was still that sort of taboo issue, though it shouldn't be.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Acerbated Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Niki

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:30 PM

My school does nothing; completely ignores it. This one girl in my cooking class last sem had these horribly deep marks on her arms, some even on her neck. They disturbed myself, and I'm recovered. The teacher did nothing about it [that I saw], acted like there was nothing to see.

I guess it's better than student harassment?

Every time I try to give up, a little voice called hope says "one more try"

(#30 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:38 PM

Not a word at any of my schools... I would never tell a teacher they would go to my school counselor who I HATE and is still bugging me for my mom's number

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 4th 2009, 11:39 PM

I've personally never had any experiences with self harm in school. None of my teachers or educators have found out about my issue of self harm. I've never discussed my self harm with anyone at school, even though I do think it is a good idea. Teachers can be a wonderful support system.

According to the picture that I have attached (I have no idea where I got this from, sadly, because I saved the picture but do not have a link for it), 2 people in every secondary school classroom will have self harmed. If that statistic is true, then schools need to tackle this issue. Honestly, self harm is not going away. We need to be educated about how to handle this issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Humberbannerselfharm.jpg (53.2 KB, 16 views)

--A

(#32 (permalink)) Old
LillyImp Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lilly

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 5th 2009, 12:06 AM

They never talk about self harm in a suportive way.
But when my sister chose to pull a stunt and scratched her upper harm lightly then ran to guidence, they sent her to the hospital and to a head doctor. Threw a whole fuss.

But other then sending her away and throwing a fit, they don't do ANYTHING. And there are a lot of kids that walk around with cuts SHOWING.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: kaylyn

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 5th 2009, 01:24 AM

I don't really know what my school does... this one guy in my grade cuts (used to cut?) was called out of class one time and I guess the principal talked to him and told him to tell his parents about it... but I don't really know.

In my grade alone... 4 people who cut/used to cut? and the grade ahead of me I know of one who currently cuts and one who used to.

I just hate that my school doesn't do anything to even mention it... The only time it's ever been mention was last year during chapel... the freshmen last year centered their message around a guy's testimony... and that's all I've ever heard about it... and there are so many people that I know who do it... it just makes me mad.

I need you Jesus
To come to my rescue
Where else can I go?

el rescate no es un mito
  Send a message via AIM to rescueisnotamyth  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Broken_Smile Offline
Depressed Author
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Keisha

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 5th 2009, 01:47 AM

I don't know what to say about my school.
There's Emotional Support, which also has the Partial Hospitalization program. It's kinda hard to explain.
If you ever feel depressed/upset/angry during class, you can usually go down to Emotional Support.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Joshie Offline
Just Myself
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Joshh

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 5th 2009, 02:44 AM

My School doesnt even touch on this
but...
they made a play representing a emo kid
and
pretty much dissed em.
(uncalled for)

Growing up is fun; So get out there and Experience new things.

JUST BE SAFE DURING ALL THIS FUN.
~Josh
  Send a message via MSN to Joshie  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 5th 2009, 03:19 AM

My school never really talked about it. If it was discovered someone WAS self harming.. it was reported to the school nurse. And she called them into her office and talked to them. I was called in once.. but she never said anything to my parents.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 5th 2009, 04:02 AM

My college...well it actually varied at my school. My adviser understood and he was there, but it got to the point where he thought he was encouraging me, and we had ups and downs.School Counselors are no help. But some of the teachers, even though they didn't understand it, they were there.They just showed that they cared a lot, and if I ever needed to talk I could find them.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 5th 2009, 04:05 AM

No teacher at my school has shown any recognition or understanding of self harm. My counselor looked at me like I was nuts when I came back from the hospital and she was like, well, what was the worst issue when you were there? (My school counselor) and I think she regretted asking.

Um. My principals are unbelievably conservative, and find no reason that we shouldn't just all be robots with perfect lives.

My psych teacher brought it up briefly once, though she's the most understanding in the school.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
OohLaLa Offline
I Missed TeenHelp =)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 5th 2009, 11:24 PM

Nothing at all =/

Life is too short to be anything other than happy all the time ..

Life is great!

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Self Harm in schools - March 7th 2009, 07:20 PM

My school doesn't speak of self harm at all, however the teachers are trained in what to do if a student approaches them on the matter. They simply send you do the school counsellor.
Self harm still seems like a huge taboo.

Closed Thread