TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Unhappy i want to cut again - April 2nd 2011, 08:23 PM

i want to cut again..i have not cut for 4 days....my friends don't know that i cut 4 days ago..i told them my hair ties had been rubbing on my wrist and it cut skin.they believed me.i hate lying to my friends..but i will probably cut again sometime next week. i just had to say that..
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: i want to cut again - April 2nd 2011, 09:13 PM

Hey there.

I am really sorry that you're struggling with self harm. It's really great that you have gone a whole four days with out cutting. I know that when you have urges a lot like it sounds like you do, it can be really hard to even go a day with out it, but you've gone four and thats incredible!

I know it's really hard when you have urges and you want to hurt yourself but you ARE worth more than self harm and in the end, you and I both know that even if you do hurt yourself, it's going to come back. That it's not going to help you for ever and you're going to be right back in that position. And I know beating it is hard, but its not suppose to be easy. If you keep on going and fight the urges you'll get stronger, it will get easier and over time you want want to hurt yourself as much.

I really want to encourage you to try using distractions. I know sometimes when you have urges its really hard to try and distract yourself but you can do it and you have to force yourself. Because I can sit her and advise you do to so but at the end of they day you are the one in control. I really think it might help you though. Not every single distraction will help you so its all about trial and error. There will be ones which do help you and the ones which don't help you you have to ignore and not let them set you back.

Do you have anyone to talk to? Just someone to lean on and talk to about how you're feeling. I know talking can be hard too, this is a personal thing to talk to someone about and its hard talking about emotions and thoughts but it can really help. It can just half the problem. You can talk to a family member, a friend, a teacher, a school nurse/counselor or even a doctor. These are all people who are there to try and help you. They all care about you and and want to be there for you but you have to let them in. You could also contact a helpline. These people are doing this because they want to help people like you. They care about you and its what they are there. Don't be afraid to reach out to people and let them in. You never ever have to be alone in this.

Stay strong, you can beat this.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: i want to cut again - April 3rd 2011, 12:55 AM

Hi Dionna.

First off, well done on not cutting for four days. I know that to some people that may not seem like much of an achievement, but I know, and you know, that it is. Going even one day without self harm is great, and it shows that you can go without it.

Do you mind me asking why you didn't tell your friends about it? Chances are they'll want to help, but they can't if you don't tell them something's wrong. If you feel bad about lying to them, then maybe you shouldn't. I understand the desire to keep these things to yourself, but sometimes it's not the most helpful thing you can do.

Why do you feel the need to hurt yourself now? Has something happened to trigger you? Or is it that you haven't done it in a while, and it's a 'just because' kind of urge? I'd definitely recommend taking a look at the distractions Jessie gave you.

It sounds like you're approaching this with a bit of a negative attitude. I can relate to that, but I can also say that it's not a helpful way to go about things. If you feel like you're going to slip up, then you probably will. You have to believe in yourself - corny as it sounds - if you want to get anywhere.

I remember in your other thread, you mentioned you were thinking of going to see a therapist - how's that going? Have you thought any more about it, or even acted on it?

I believe that you can get through this - if you believe you can. And I believe you should let people in, because there are people who do want to, and can, help you.

Good luck.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: i want to cut again - April 3rd 2011, 03:53 PM

i did not tell my friends because they get really mad at me and ignore me for a day..
i get really depressed ,and its also just an urge..and thank you for replying it helped alot..
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
Closed Thread