TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Epoh Offline
Love is in the tiniest places.
Not a n00b

Name: Judith

Question Tough - April 3rd 2011, 02:27 AM

I have found wanting to quit is a whole lot easier said than done. I'm not going to give up, but damn, every time I slip I get reminded of how great it really feels. But then I deal with everything that comes after that. The guilt, the shame, the fear, the fact that more permanent damage is done to my skin, and even the lingering pain. I used to really enjoy it continuing to hurt, but I've been getting worse (cutting deeper) and now if something/someone touches a pretty fresh cut, I'll wince and it's really awkward/hard to explain when someone notices. =/
You'd think that all the consequences would totally override the ONE "good" that comes of it right? Oh. I wish right.
I'm trying. I just didn't realize that when I would decide to quit it would be so damn hard...

What we see depends
mainly on what
we look
for.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Tough - April 3rd 2011, 02:53 AM

Hey Judith.

I'm not going to lie to you and say that recovery is easy, because you know that's not true. But I will tell you that it's worth it, and isn't that what really matters? Imagine the pride you'll feel when you can finally say, 'I overcame self harm'. Imagine the relief when you can finally be able to get through tough times without hurting yourself. Imagine the strength you'll have gained during the struggle. I repeat: it's worth it.

I'm glad you're not going to give up. It sounds like you're a very determined person, and that will definitely be an advantage during this process. It's okay to have doubts, and to have slip ups, as long as you don't become too caught up in them. You need to work through them, and become a better person for it.

Have you ever talked to anyone about your self harm? Any of your friends or family, maybe? Having a support network can be a big help during recovery. I can understand if you haven't talked to them about it, but I urge you to at least consider it.

I think something that may help is to write a list of reasons why you want to stop, why you decided to. Keep that somewhere handy so you can look at it and be reminded of your resolve whenever you start doubting yourself.

Again, I think it's great that you're trying, and it sounds like you're doing a good job. Yes, recovery is hard. Yes, you may have slip-ups along the way. Yes, you may want to give it up altogether. But just know that you are stronger than this, and that once you're finally free of it, your life will be better, and you will be happier.

Take care.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Tough - April 3rd 2011, 05:47 PM

i know what thats like..but you just have to stay strong .and if you cut again you will be stronger than before. i hope this helped..
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Epoh Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Tough - April 4th 2011, 05:24 AM

Thank you both very much. It's nice to hear words of encouragement and reassurance.

Chess, I am going on this journey solo. (with the exception of you fine people here on TH) I am too afraid to tell anyone that I currently self harm. A few people know I have in the past, but no one really knows I currently do. I just don't feel like adding more baggage to other people. Or being disappointed in someone because they didn't react the way I wanted them to.

Thank you though, I am 4 days strong atm. ^^

What we see depends
mainly on what
we look
for.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Tough - April 4th 2011, 08:29 AM

Judith,

I'm always here for encouragment and support.

Sorry to hear you don't feel like you can talk to the people in your life. I know the feeling, not wanting to add to their baggage, but I think it could help if you talked to them. They'll feel good knowing they're able to help you, and you'll feel good knowing you have their help. Do you mind me asking why you're afraid to tell them? Do you think they'll react badly? The ones who know you used to - how did they react when they first found out?

It may feel like you're on your own, but, obviously, you have us. And even if you can't talk to those in your life, you can still get through this. I'm not suggesting you should reject any help; I'm just saying it's possible (if a little harder) to recover without a strong support network.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Epoh Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Tough - April 5th 2011, 01:02 AM

I'm not afraid that anyone will react badly. I'm just greatly ashamed of it. I know if I tell someone, I'll want them to ask me all sorts of questions about it and why I did it because it would be so relieving to be able to tell someone in person. Also, I'd want them to want to look at my scars as much as I want to hide them. I feel like I would want them to see a part of me that only I have seen. And the reason I don't tell anyone is because I know they won't do what I have said and I'll feel awkward and probably disappointed. And I don't want to be disappointed in something as trivial as them not supporting me the way I want them to.

The other main reason is that I want to quit for myself. If I tell someone, obviously they'll want me to not SH, and I am quite loyal, so I know I won't if they tell me not to. But I don't want it to be like that. I want to quit because I want to quit. Not because they want me to, although that does mean a lot. Know what I mean?

Well the people who knew before when I had 5 years ago, (I regrettably started up just last year again. =() had told me to stop straight out. And I did. But just last year, those same people were not very good friends to me (long story) and I relapsed because of that situation and so much more that I had been holding on to. And everyone else that knows I have in the past (those who didn't know me 5 years ago) know because I posted a video on youtube for the It Gets Better project and I mentioned it in there. =/

So yeah. I dunno. Thank you for your support tho. I do appreciate it so much. ^^ It's nice to know that you all will be here. <3 5 days. =D

What we see depends
mainly on what
we look
for.

Closed Thread