TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): Movie triggered me (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t70977-movie-triggered-me/)

Bubbly751 April 4th 2011 01:32 AM

Movie triggered me

At school on thursday we had a sub (my mom) and we watched the movie Its kind of a funny story. Well I didn't know what it was about, and well frankly It scared the shit outta me. I couldnt ask to go to my counselor cuz I would be asking my mom who doesn't know about my sh! I was so shaken up by the time I got to fourth period I was shaking and my heart was racing. I didn't know what to do. When I got home that night I really fucked up and cut all over my arm, and now idk what I'm going to do. I had to watch the rest of the movie on Friday but I prepared myself the night before and It turned out okay. If that happens again what should I do? Advice much appreciated!

lucynyu101 April 4th 2011 03:23 AM

Re: Movie triggered me

oh my goodness :/ that sounds horrible. I hope you are doing okay. i would say that next time if you can try to close your eyes or look somewhere else? or ask to go to the bathroom and then go to the counceler, just try to get away from it as much as u can in any way you can.

also why were they showing this sorta movie at school?

I hope you are okay and if you ever need someone to talk to im here.
<3 Love and Peace Lucy

Bubbly751 April 4th 2011 05:05 AM

Idk why they showed it especially in choir!!!

Hiraeth April 4th 2011 05:54 PM

Hi Sarah,

Things like that happen to me all the time. It's annoying as hell, but unfortunately is something to be mindful of when interacting with the world - potential triggers are everywhere. We try to avoid them as much as possible (mainly because, if anything, deliberately triggering oneself is quite unnecessary), but there will always be times when that is not possible. I wonder if experience and exposure can aid some degree of desensitization, but as I almost never watch anything except for the occasional calm and refreshing kiddie program, I wouldn't exactly be able to say. One thing though - each time we are able to have an experience without letting it take over us, the power of that experience will have decreased by some amount for future manifestations.

When the sensations arise, try to just breathe deeply; focus on the breathing, and the awareness of sitting or standing, whichever it may be - the physical contact between body and ground. I find this to be a very helpful way to stay grounded, both mentally and physiologically. After a while of sustained concentration, the response of being triggered may subside a little - usually not completely, but at least enough to carry on with daily life and tasks in the immediate moment. Not responding to the response is so crucial - when we notice we are triggered, and become filled with even more negative sensations such as fear and anger, these feed into the initial response and only serve to strengthen it. Yes, it is innate to react this way, and maintaining any form of awareness outside of this experience may seen impossible - it takes practice and a lot of courage, the motivation for which arises out of an understanding that its alternative doesn't lead to a good end.

Hang in there. :hug:
Kaisada

Adrian April 4th 2011 06:24 PM

Wear a hoodie and take your ipod -if you dont have one -borrow one.
Your set. you dont have to listen to the movie and you can zone out
i suggest downloading Dane Cook- Vicious Circle or something to listen to like that get your mind off the movie completely