TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
crunkcorepozer Offline
Friendly Advice Giver
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: JB

Thumbs up Huge Dicision - April 8th 2011, 04:17 AM

I have decided to get help. I told my mum. Don't know how, but I did. And she's pretty upset. :/ I can see what I do to people when I hurt myself. I think I'm gonna try and cut cold turkey. I know it's hard. It's only been three hours since I last did it, and I still have the urge. I just can't though. I realized that even if I hurt them anyways, its hurts them more to see me upset. If anybody has any distractions to help me not think about doing anything? I think I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sarabeth Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Huge Dicision - April 8th 2011, 05:18 AM

Good for you! That's amazing (: Ibknow this seems stupid but read a book,a good one of course, those take your mind right off of everything. I love the Harry Potter books, the Maximum Ride series, and this site called Wattpad had tons of stories for free written by teen authors for teens. Again, I just want to let you know that that's a huge step and I'm happy as can be that you found the courage to do so!!(:

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Huge Dicision - April 8th 2011, 06:00 AM

Here are some alternatives to help your urges:
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

To keep yourself distracted, do things you love and get outside and go do things with friend or family. And keep all the razors locked up or better yet get rid of them.
Remember: out of sight, out of mind.

Good luck
I'm glad you made this decision!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Huge Dicision - April 8th 2011, 07:49 AM

Hi there.

I think it's great you reached out for help like that, and it sounds like you're definitely on your way to recovery. It's natural for your mother to be upset - imagine how you'd feel if someone you loved was deliberately hurting himself/herself. She cares about you, and she just wants you to be healthy and happy.

I won't lie. Recovery is hard. You'll have doubts, maybe slip-ups, and you'll question it a lot. You'll wonder if it's worth it. You'll consider relapsing. You might feel like you're not strong enough to keep going. But if you keep fighting it, you'll become a stronger person for it.

The list of distractions Nicole gave you is worth a look, but keep in mind that not every one will work for you, or for every situation. It's a matter of trial and error, and figuring out which ones work, and when. There's bound to be a few that you like.

Another thing that might be helpful is having a support network. Whether it's friends, family, or even people here on TH, having people who care about you and want to help you can make the recovery process a lot easier.

While you're still feeling good about this decision, and committed to quitting, it might help to write a list of the reasons you're stopping, which you can look at if you have doubts later on.

I wish you all the best with this. You've made a brave - and probably terrifying - decision, and I admire that. We're here to support you all the way.

Good luck!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
1yr1a Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Huge Dicision - April 8th 2011, 02:32 PM

hi i think you are amazing because i haven't told my mum and i have been doing it for about 1 and a half year and i still don't have the balls to do it so thats a huge achievement in it self iv only just got help form my school and i have been giving 3 pages of how to stop urges my limits and dangers and how effective the way to stop urges was and to one was keeping busy so i keep as busy as possible and it works to a point so try that or see if you can find anything eles that you like doing or get a hobby ok hope this helps

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: Huge Dicision - April 8th 2011, 04:02 PM

well u did what most ppl cant do and thats very strong of u and quitting takes a long time trust me im in the process of it u have to take baby steps and just keep reminding ur self why u are quitting and its ok to slip up hey i did last night i was upset and disappointed in me but starting over works to

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Iím catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

Closed Thread