TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: amanda

Unhappy self harm free! - April 12th 2011, 02:33 PM

i havent self harmed in over a week i know that is'nt a big acomplishment but i always want to cut everyday. and i always feel suicidal
idk what to think
i miss cutting soo much

Forget the risk. Take the fall. If it's meant to be, it's worth it all.
We will never sleep, 'cause sleep is for the weak
And we will never rest, 'til we're all fucking dead

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: self harm free! - April 12th 2011, 03:38 PM

Hey there.

Firstly I want to say that not cutting in over a whole entire week is such a big accomplishment! While people who haven't been through self harm may feel its not, when you are a self harmer, a week is a hell of a long time and I think you have done really well to go a week and still be self harm free. Well done!

Self harm can become a really viscous cycle and it can be really hard to break it and get out of it. The only way you are going to beat it for good is to keep going. To not give up even when the urges get really bad and yes thats hard but its also possible.

For now I really want to encourage you to take a look at these distractions. I am not going to tell you that all of these will work for you because they won't, it's all about trial and error and finding the ones which do help you. Don't let the ones which don't work get in your way, simply forget about them and carry on trying others.

Suicide isn't the the way out. I know things are hard for you right now but I also know that things will change, they'll get better and you will start to feel better in yourself. I know that you won't have these thoughts for the rest of your life and I also know you can also life a life with out self harm at all. Getting there is just going to be hard and work and it is going to take time, but once you get there you will be so glad you never gave up.

Stay strong, you beat this.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: self harm free! - April 12th 2011, 04:56 PM

Hi there Amanda!

I have to agree with Jessie! You should really be proud of yourself for steering clear of SH even if it's for a week. It's like an addiction. It's really hard to quit cold-turkey. You have to take baby steps at a time. And this is a very good start!

If you have trouble and feel like getting back to it, look at the thread that Jessie posted. It should help.

Take one step at a time, and you'll get there! I'm so proud of you!! Keep it up! Stay strong,and chin up, dear!

If you feel like SHing again, or have trouble stopping yourself from SH, PM me anytime. (:
Take care of yourself! <3

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: self harm free! - April 13th 2011, 02:07 AM

Hey Amanda.

Don't downplay your achievements. Going over a week without self harm is definitely worth celebrating, especially given the fact that you said you want to cut every day - the fact that you resist these urges shows that you're strong, and you can go without self harm. That's a good sign.

It's natural to miss self harm when you go any length of time without it. Even people who have been free for years may get the occasional urge. But the only way to get rid of them is to keep fighting it. If you give in to every urge, you're not going to get stronger, and you'll be stuck in this cycle. But if you keep resisting, the urges will get less intense, less frequent, and easier to resist. Not to mention your life will be better without it, and you'll have grown as a person.

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling suicidal. Have you talked to anyone about it? You don't have to get through this alone, okay? It's good to reach out for help. You could also have a look at this list of reasons to live, to give you some inspiration, and this one might too.

Take care, and stay safe.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread