TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sarahh9 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Sarah

Scars - April 13th 2011, 03:08 AM

Hey guys

So last semester during exams I ended up cutting my arm twice with a razor blade. One was really deep, and probably needed stitches (I could see the fat in my arm). Anyways, I just got hired at a pool as a lifeguard, and now I have a disgusting scar on my arm. Is there anyway scars can be infected? I mean its completely closed, but the scar is about a quarter of an inch thick, VERY bright red, and raised pretty high off my skin. It scarred over about a month and half ago, and just started loooking really really bad. Ive never had a scar look like this, and I have quite a few, usually I can barely see them :S

Is there anything I can do to make it look any better?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Scars - April 13th 2011, 06:22 AM

Have you tried maderma or bio oil? I've heard it's supposed to help. I just got bio oil a few days ago but it says you see results in a month.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
WhoAmI? Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Scars - April 13th 2011, 08:48 PM

Scars come after the scab from the cut has healed completely, and leaves a dark/white mark on your body. Scar or cut?
If it's a scar, it is closed fully and won't be able to get infected.
If it's a cut, put some neosporin or anti-bacterial cream or some aloe vera and cover it with gauze and it'll help it heal quicker.

A long-sleeved rash guard would work perfectly because you'd be a lifeguard and it's very professional looking so I wouldn't think your boss would mind. If he/she does, tell them you've had an operation on your arm and would like to cover it with something, they probably won't ask any further details because it doesn't really concern your work except in uniform, and I honestly don't think they would tell you that you cannot wear a rash guard because I've seen a lot of lifeguards - both men and women - that wear them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thefirstlady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Re: Scars - April 13th 2011, 10:23 PM

This can happen with larger scars like that and will eventually become light in color but it'll take a while. You could also try mederma or bio oil as recommended above. I know Vitamin E Oil works well for me. I just buy the gel capsules and cut it open and use the liquid since that was what was recommended for me.

Closed Thread