TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
calgary01 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Is it true that people who cut do it only for attention? - April 13th 2011, 05:57 PM

Or is it even possible to cut just for attention? I just cut for the first time. i dont even know why. but i dont think i did it for attention. i mean i'd die if anybody saw. :/ i'm confused...
  Send a message via Skype™ to calgary01 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Is it true that people who cut do it only for attention? - April 13th 2011, 06:07 PM

Hey there.

I personally honestly think there are many reasons to why people self harm. Every single self harmer is different with their own thoughts and feelings as well as their own reasons to why they self harm.

Yes, perhaps there are some people who do it for attention, perhaps some people do it because they are bored, perhaps some people do it when they get upset, perhaps some people do it because they're going through a rough time or they're just feeling low. There are so many different reasons and not everyone does it for the same.

If you don't think you are doing it for attention perhaps you need to think about anything that happened in the few hours before you self harmed and what you were thinking at the time to see if you can the trigger.

I really hope you're okay.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Is it true that people who cut do it only for attention? - April 13th 2011, 06:21 PM

As Jessie said, everyone has their reasons, and some people DO self-harm for attention.

I knew a guy in high school, who was a poser-Goth. He'd dress in all black, and he'd give himself these little scratches on his arms somehow (by safety pin, or cat, or whatever, I don't know), then he'd basically show his arms to people. He literally DID pull up his fishnet shirt one time to show somebody in our class his scratches. It'd either be t-shirts or t-shirts with a fishnet shirt underneath. He ended up growing out of all that, once he stopped trying too hard to be a cliche Goth kid. He stopped scratching himself and everything.

BUT, to be fair, that isn't a common scenario. I have a history of self-harm, and I know a couple other people who do too, and although they're clean now, and they don't even have a lot of scars (one only tried it once, the other girl had briefly used self-harm to solve problems), but even then, they try not to draw attention to their arms. They don't avoid wearing short sleeves or anything, since the marks aren't obvious, but they don't exactly show people either, or make it a point to make it obvious. You know?

Self-harm is a bad habit to get in to, and I doubt you're looking for attention if you DON'T want anybody to see. As Jessie said, think about what happened right before you cut, how you felt, etc. and you'll have a better idea of what triggered you to cut, and how to avoid/cope with that trigger.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
enfantreve Offline
Born this way!
Not a n00b

Name: Anthony Michael

Re: Is it true that people who cut do it only for attention? - April 13th 2011, 06:33 PM

It is totally possible and common for people to cut just to gain attention. You may have had your own objectives for doing so, and whatever those may be whatever they are. But, to answer your question, yes. People cut for attention. I did once.

Make it stop,
Let this end.
This life chose me, I'm not lost in sin.
But proud I stand of who I am,
I plan to go on living.

~carpe diem~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WhoAmI? Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Is it true that people who cut do it only for attention? - April 13th 2011, 08:37 PM

No I don't agree. I don't cut or hurt myself for attention.
When someone self-harms, the initial pain is caught by your nervous system (normally before any pain is felt) and that releases endorphins into your body and brain and stops all physical pain and leaves your brain/mind/body with a calm-euphoric-like feeling.

Closed Thread