TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
When it Ends Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What should I do? - April 14th 2011, 11:36 AM

So I've been really sad because I have been cutting for several months now and my cousin started cutting a few days ago and my whole family is blaming me for it. Just tonight I have already cut 23 times... I don't know what to do about it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: What should I do? - April 14th 2011, 04:23 PM

Maybe talk to your cousin, find out why he/she is cutting, and then you can both talk to your family, hopefully.

The best thing I can tell you is, reach out to your cousin and try to tell them that cutting is addictive, the scars suck, etc., tell them you're there if they ever need to talk, and hope for the best. Oh, and also get your cousin to clarify that it is NOT your fault, because I don't see why it would be.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: What should I do? - April 14th 2011, 04:44 PM

Hey.

I'm sorry you're going through this right now, it must be tough for you. Know that I'm always happy to talk if you want to PM me or anything.

I believe you should talk to your cousin. You know yourself, I expect, how useless cutting is. It doesn't help in the long run, and it doesn't look nice on your skin. I think you should consider looking at the self harm alternatives by looking here: http://www.teenhelp.org/alternatives. Not all of them will work for you, but you should be able to find at least one that helps. Also, consider showing it to your cousin. If you can help your cousin get through it, it may motivate you to get through it yourself. Doing things with someone is easier than doing it on your own, so make sure you support your cousin, and stick by eachother to overcome the urges.

Try and talk to your family about how it's making you feel every time they blame you for it. I know being blamed for something you didn't do is highly frustrating, and it's bound to be even harder while you're going through feeling the way you do. If you talk to them, they might understand. I can understand why they may think you have had influence on your cousin, but reassure them that you didn't do anything to make your cousin SH, and therefore it is not your fault. I'm sure that with a bit of discussion, they can realise that it's not your fault, and instead of blaming you, help you and your cousin through this.

Try not to cut. 23 times is an awful lot for one night, and you're not doing yourself any favours. I know it's hard, trust me I do, but it's not the way to do things. Cutting may form some sort of release for a while, but afterwards I'm gonna guess it doesn't feel too great, right? Use the alternatives, or do something you love, just to take your mind off of what you want to do. Keep yourself in good ways, you shouldn't have to feel like cutting helps anything. Remember, you're an amazing person no matter what happens, and if you ever feel down, you've got this place to come and rant.

If you'd ever like to talk to me about this or anything else that may be bothering you, go ahead and shoot me a PM. I'll always be happy to listen and offer you as much advice and help as I possibly can, or otherwise refer you to someone who can. Hang in there, you can do this. Keep your chin up and stay strong. <3

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
When it Ends Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What should I do? - April 15th 2011, 12:52 AM

Okay, so I talked to my cousin today about it and he said its not my fault. We tried to tell everyone but they said we just didn't want them to know the truth.

After we tried to convince them and failing, i just locked myself in the bathroom and started cutting. Everyone in the house knew i was too.

I came out eventually and everyone just stared at me. My mom grabbed me and drove me home and the whole way home she was telling me that i'm a horrible person. She's just making it worse.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
When it Ends Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What should I do? - April 15th 2011, 09:36 AM

Can someone help me with this?

Closed Thread