TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Epoh Offline
Love is in the tiniest places.
Not a n00b

Name: Judith

Unhappy Stressing out - April 16th 2011, 06:17 AM

Last night I decided to show my girlfriend all my scars. They aren't pretty. Some of them are words...

Anyways...I wanted to show her, so she wouldn't be surprised if she ever came across them. But the thing is I'm still totally stressing out about it. She was really supportive and totally understanding, so that's not the issue. I just don't think I'll be comfortable showing her again, and the only way she would see them again is...you know.

So yeah. It's kind of stressing me out and I just want to know if you guys can give me some advice. It's not that I don't want to do anything with her, it's just that I am really afraid of having my scars out and open like that for a long period of time. It was fine just showing her briefly, but I'm not ready for them to be exposed. =/

Any advice would help. Thanks guys. <3

What we see depends
mainly on what
we look
for.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Stressing out - April 16th 2011, 11:15 AM

Hey Judith,

First of all it is great that you showed your girlfriend your scars, that must have taken a lot of courage! You should be proud of yourself.

You said yourself that your girlfriend is very supportive, it sounds like she loves you a lot so don't be ashamed or afraid of her seeing the scars again. I know it seems like a scary thought now, but when it happens it won't feel as scary.
Maybe talk to her about this, I'm sure she will understand; that way she can support you through this. You can do it, i know you can.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want/need to talk,

Take care,
Charli

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Stressing out - April 16th 2011, 10:13 PM

Hi Judith,

That was very brave of you to show your girlfriend your scars. I know that must have been scary for you, but I'm so glad that she reacted well!

It's understandable that you wouldn't feel totally comfortable having your scars out in the open like that. My advice would be not to rush into anything you're not ready for. Talk to your girlfriend about how you're feeling. It sounds like she's very supportive of you, and I'm sure she'd understand. You two can take things slowly, until you feel comfortable.

Remember that your girlfriend cares about you a lot. I doubt she'd want you to feel embarrassed or ashamed of what you've gone through. You are beautiful to her!

Take care! I hope everything works out!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Stressing out - April 16th 2011, 10:25 PM

Honestly, I know it takes A LOT to show your partner scars. I know from personal experience.

But, you are most likely going to have to get used to the idea of your girlfriend seeing your scars. Keep in mind, you'll probably get intimate, and you might even be together forever. She was supportive right now, so I don't think she'd have a problem with seeing your scars extensively.

My boyfriend actually knows about my scars, he's very supportive of me, and he's the only person I can comfortably show my skin around. I really hope that you'll feel that comfort level around your girlfriend one day, but it will take time. You may have to step outside your comfort zone a bit, but it will be worth it.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Epoh Offline
Love is in the tiniest places.
Not a n00b

Name: Judith

Re: Stressing out - April 16th 2011, 10:31 PM

Thank you all for understanding. It was extremely scary and difficult to show her. (I was shaking and I didn't look her in the eyes.) But she's the only person I trust. I'm really ashamed of them and its really difficult to look at them myself so I find it frightening to have her seeing them extensively. One day I hope to be a little more comfortable. But I think I will talk to her.

Thank you guys for your advice and support. ^^ It means a lot. <3

What we see depends
mainly on what
we look
for.

Closed Thread