TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What are teachers allowed to do? - April 28th 2011, 07:25 PM

had a horrible conversation with my english teacher today when she saw my arms (not intentional, AT ALL, and i'm so angry about it.)
does she have to report it???
can anyone direct me some sites, or give me some info, about what she's allowed/obliged to do??
any ideas what i can say to get her to keep her mouth shut? any ideas at all?
please it's so important that my parents dont find out.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 28th 2011, 07:44 PM

Hey there.

Everyone school have different policy's but there are acts which are law about safe guarding and child protection etc. I think that your teacher might have to pass the information on to someone such as a child protection office, pastrol support care or your head of year. Then the decision will be in their hands to what they do with thats information. Whether its them just talking to you, encouraging you to see the school nurse/counselor or them calling a meeting with your parents etc. Every school is different.

But perhaps this could be your way as to getting help with your self harm. Maybe you need to try and turn this around.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 28th 2011, 08:10 PM

I'm not sure if this is much help, but..
In high school my tutor saw my arms, and they didn't tell any one at first because I requested them not to. I said I wouldn't do it again. But later it came apparent I was continuing to do it and was it was clearly causing my distress, so he said he had to tell my head of year; who then passed it on to the school counselor. If it went any further than that, I don't know. But my head of year phoned home.

Actually. I kind of rejected any of the help they gave me and I really wish I hadn't. It was so hard to deal with, and I was alone with it all. And they were there, offering help and someone to talk to, and I basically said 'no' to it all. I wish I hadn't.

I hope this helps. I agree with Jessie; this could be a start in turning things around, maybe?

Last edited by Alexx; April 28th 2011 at 08:15 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 28th 2011, 08:30 PM

I'm not sure, best of luck!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 28th 2011, 08:37 PM

Okay thanks for the replies

i'm trying to do everythign i can to keep this information away from my parents. and i'm not seeing a councillor.
im not addicted. its more like a habit that i cant stop. i dont have a problem.

but my english teacher thinks i do and im just wondering if she's allowed to pursue it, if she has to pass it on or what...?
my form teacher has already been told before that i'd been overheard telling my friend i hadnt eaten in 31 hours. im so worried that this is going to get serious.

anyone know any legal type websites or whatever?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 28th 2011, 11:13 PM

Technically, teachers and faculty are advised to pass it on for the well being of the student. If they see that a student may be harming him/herself or may be homicidal/suicidal.. they are slightly obligated to pass it on to your school's child study/higher authority/guidance. Some teachers choose not to. Some choose to handle it themselves. It really depends on your teacher and how often your school deals with things like this.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 28th 2011, 11:57 PM

I'm pretty sure they're required to tell the guidance counselor.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 12:03 AM

In most areas, they not only can, but MUST report something like that.

Honestly, even if it's just a habbit you should get help. Self-harm can ruin your life.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Mandiie.Love Offline
Nature... ♥
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Mandiie McFarland

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 12:22 AM

They're not required to tell your parents, but if you start talking to your councilor about your planning of harming yourself, then your parents will find out. But unless you're being abused and you told her about that, then you don't really have anything to worry about. Well, that's for my school at least.

PM or VM me at anytime. I check it every day. <3

~Welcome to Mandiie land. Where everything is a tad bit crazy, but she loves to help you. <3 Trust me, no matter what, judging is a word that isn't in my vocabulary. <3

Kiss me, lovely

Then walk away
Hug me tightly, beautiful
Then leave me.
:]

(#10 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 12:31 AM

^It depends where you are. I don't know about where you are, but in the United States if a teacher, counselor, or doctor knows that you are hurting yourself, hurting others, planning to do either of said activities, or are being hurt, they are required by law to report it to the police and/or your parents depending on the severity. Or in some cases perhaps a school counselor or something like that.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#11 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 08:37 AM

Wow thanks for the replies!

She just got a glimpse of my arm, but it was absouletely covered and she looked terrified.
I'm in England, one of those high ranking private schools. So i think it's quite likely the teacher will tell someone :/
I dont need help though

i said that i'd fallen off my bike, and she said that even if i had, i'd picked at the scars and turned it into self harm (she didnt see them long enough to realise they were burns, but if she looks again she'll know i lied about everything....)

am i allowed to say 'please dont tell my parents' or 'dont worry about this never mention it again' or woudl that only make it worse?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 10:42 AM

Hey there,

It depends on where you are and your school. Usually due to child protection they have to pass the information on to your head of year or councellor. When my school found out the rung my parents and told CAMHS, but it does depend on your schools policies. I didn't know they knew, so i couldn't jump in and ask for my parents not to be told, but you could try asking.
Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk,

Talk care,
Charli

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#13 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks x

do u think i should go back to her and make sure she's not goint to tell anyone? or would that confirm that i'm self harming?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 04:09 PM

I think you should look into getting help in order to stop self-harming.. If you feel the need to go through such lengths to keep your parents from finding out, don't you think that there's maybe something wrong with doing it?

You should really start seeing a counselor do deal with the feelings that you're not handling properly.

Take care

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 06:13 PM

Hey there,

Basically due to child protection they will have to pass it on to someone higher up than themselves, like a counsellor of head of year. However, I doubt they will tell your parents immediately.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Anatidaephobia Offline
Smile :) You're beautiful!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 06:22 PM

Hi there,

I think it would help if you didgo back andwerehonest with her. She will havetotell someone higher up in school as this isrequired by lawin England but you could tell them that you would be willing to seek help yourself and that you really don't want your parents to find out. It might help to explain why you don't want them to. This what i did and they never told my mom.

I hope this helps <3

xxxxxxx Take care xxxxxxx

If you ever need ANYTHING just ask (:
Feel Free to leave me a message anytime:
VmPM

I won't let you close enough to hurt me
help link mentor Live help operator
  Send a message via MSN to Anatidaephobia Send a message via Skype™ to Anatidaephobia 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 07:10 PM

Your English teacher would probably tell you that they're telling someone and who they are telling, only ask them not to tell if they approach you, otherwise it's obvious. Good Luck <3 Go in Peace!

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount39

Edit avatar

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 07:24 PM

It depends on the schools rules and whatever. If they believe that they're old cuts and you haven't been doing it for awhile, they'll probably talk to you, but they might not do anything else. If they believe that you're still cutting then they'll talk to you about it and probably call your parents in.

best of luck. <3

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 09:45 PM

As a future teacher, I'm pretty sure that the law everywhere in the United States says that they HAVE to report it or they could lose their job. That isn't to say that all will, but if those get caught they can get fired. I'd say high school is probably the ages teachers are a little less likely to tell. Elementary school they're REQUIRED to, no doubt in my mind (but I'm sure you're in at least middle). Middle school is iffy.

I'd say it's a good bet she'll tell.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#20 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - April 29th 2011, 10:12 PM

I think it depends in certain schools. With me i told a teacher i was really close to and because of child protection issues she had to tell child protection officer but that's it. I made sure i dint want my parents to know so they never rang home. But i think it also depends on your age. If you're under 16 in England inmost cases they are required to tell.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - May 1st 2011, 10:37 PM

What do I say if she confronts me? I really don't want anyone to know and i'm just never going to talk about it with an adult or a councillor or whatever.
ny ideas?

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - May 1st 2011, 11:06 PM

Hey there,
The one thing i can say from being there myself i that the worst thing to do is to lie!
My teacher found out and luckily my parents found out the day before! they then called them in and had a chat with them! they want me to start coucelling and im like you! i dont want that! but in the end i know its the best thing to do!
If your teacher confronts you then mabye say to her that you don't feel comfortable talking about it with her and request to talk to someone in privacy! Perhaps an independant listener at your school, we have one at mine! But thats the best thing to do! Chances are she is genuinlly concerned about you and your health incase you do anything stupid!
If you need to talk or any other things feel free to PM me!
I hope it goes ok!

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - May 2nd 2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chility View Post
What do I say if she confronts me? I really don't want anyone to know and i'm just never going to talk about it with an adult or a councillor or whatever.
ny ideas?
Why are you so against getting better?

(#24 (permalink)) Old
chility Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - May 4th 2011, 08:20 PM

Ok thanks for the replies.
I'm not against getting better. I just don't want their help, I don't want anyone's help. There's nothing anyone can do.
School nurse confronted me today, saying that 3 teachers had been worried about me. I had no idea how 3 teachers had come to see them, and she's probably exaggerating........... I told her they were rabbit scratches and after 10 minutes she conceded that i must be telling the truth, and then asked if i wanted to talk to anyone. I told her definetely not, I was absolutely fine, and thank you for the concern. So that's over with
And then my friend told my mum that i was anorexic, self harming, smoking and thinking about suicide. My mum screamed at me about being stupid, sent me to bed and didn't talk to me for 72 hours straight, even tho we share a room. She then tried to discuss it, but she was so angry with me (idn why?!) that we didn't get anywhere, and now she's pretending it never happened.
I just wish no-one knew!!

(#25 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - May 4th 2011, 08:53 PM

Just tell her you're not ready to tackle it just yet. Say you're dealing with it and when you need help you'll ask for it, then that way she'll probably leave you to it.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
EndureEmo Offline
because you are amazing anyway
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Eliza-Grace/Endure

Re: What are teachers allowed to do? - May 5th 2011, 12:20 PM

i got sent to the school counciler, when one of the head teacehers heard off a person in my year i was self harming, and the school counciler help back than but than she said i didnt nead to see her again,, 1 and a bit years later, i started it again ;s

"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts... and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

ANDY SIXX
  Send a message via MSN to EndureEmo  
Closed Thread