TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ali Bali Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alison

understanding - May 13th 2011, 06:55 PM

how can i help my friend understand? she found out about my sh and went absolutely balistic at me how do i explain to her what i don't fully understand myself? it is not something im proud of i can't help the fact that i don't actually want to stop doing it she has decided that if i don't do something about it all she will she doesn't realise that shes adding pressure and making it all worse she doesn't leave me alone i walk out at dancing to go to the toilet and suddenly i have company i must admit sometimes it is because i need to sh but even so she no longer trusts me it feels like i have constantly got someone keeping an eye on me but not in a good way i think she is talking to the rest of my group of friends about it behind my back how do i explain to her whats going on without her yelling again?? also anyone got any tips for resisting the urge to sh in class ive tried the rubber band thing but it doesnt seem to work for me sorry if i have babbled a bit

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: understanding - May 13th 2011, 07:06 PM

i feel like that with my mum... she doesn't properly know but she does... and all i want to do is lock myself away! i also don't know why i have to cut entirely and i can't talk, i guess you should give her things off the internet as she does know, as for the stopping, you should check out the sticky thread which gives loads of methods! Good Luck and PM me if you want/need to talk, support or advice <3

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ali Bali Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: understanding - May 13th 2011, 07:25 PM

hey thanks i really dont know what im doing anymore i've considered many times just ending it all it would make things easier for everyone if im being perfectly honest

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: understanding - May 13th 2011, 07:36 PM

im the same, ive written 6pages just now on the pros and cons, but i know how selfish it is... im trying to stay strong but we've got each other! At least you've got the weekend to sort it out and get your head straight, just try and sit down and talk to her, tell her about SH and sit quietly and have a discussion... <3

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: understanding - May 14th 2011, 02:06 AM

Hey, I'm sorry to hear you're both struggling at the moment and have people who don't understand. A lot of the time, people react the way they do because they don't understand it, it can be a massive shock finding out someone you know self harms. Maybe you could point them in the direction of this website;
http://www.firstsigns.org.uk/others/
or something similar? It's for people who've just found out someone they know self harms and has some information about why people may do it. There are many factsheets on there for friends / parents which I think would be really helpful.

I definitely agree with Melissa about the sticky thread for alternatives. Just bear in mind that not every single thing will work for everyone and you'll probably have to try a few. The main question is, do you want to give up or are you just saying it because of pressure from everyone else? I only ask this because if you're doing it for everyone else, it's going to be a whole lot harder. Whilst I don't advocate cutting as a coping method, if you are going to do it, just make sure you do it as safely as possible, ie try to use sterile things and keep the wound as clean as possible.

Do you know when you first started self harm & the emotions you were feeling at the time?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ali Bali Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: understanding - May 14th 2011, 03:00 PM

thanks n when i started... technically when i was about six probably cos i used to rip my skin with my nails n punch myself not eat etc that would always happen after my parents had been yelling at me n hitting me. then almost a year ago me n my had a massive argument n it tipped me over the edge i grabbed first thing that came to hand n cut i havent been able to stop since i guess it gave me some sort of release n made me feel something, i was finally able to control something well thats what i thought anyway now its something i can't live without i feel like im alone even hen there is people around me i cant seem to get out of this downward spiral that i call m life

Closed Thread