TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kendall Ann Offline
Kendall Ann
Not a n00b

Name: Kendall

Unhappy Don't Want to Stop. - May 21st 2011, 02:41 AM

It's this weird thing where... I can but just won't stop! I know I'm capable but it's like an addiction. I started with burning, it went to cutting, and now bruising as well. I don't understand myself though. I've stopped sh for about 2 months and then I fall back into what I consider a relapse where I cut like crazy for a week and then still hurt myself almost everyday but less. My self harm started because of this guy who basically broke my heart but I've never been able to really stop. I think I need help but.. how to get it is a whole other subject. I really need someone to talk to.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Samantha

Re: Don't Want to Stop. - May 21st 2011, 02:58 AM

Hey, i know what you are going through as a recovering self harmer. It is an addiction and it is difficult to deal with. Ive had moments where I knew I needed to stop harming myself but i truly did not want to stop. I got through it by reasoning with myself, distracting myself, and perspective. Sometimes it helps to think about the long run.
Sometimes when I need to think through something or make a decision I ask myself what would the 50 year old version of me tell me to do?
I don't know if that helps or not. Im trying not to ramble on too much.
Bottom line is self harm is an addiction and its not healthy. I am more than happy to talk to you and give you any support or guidance you want.

try to stay strong.

~Samantha~

PM me anytime

Recovering Self Harmer

Rape Survivor 9/28/11

The Day I Met My Soulmate 10/27/11

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: Don't Want to Stop. - May 21st 2011, 12:51 PM

Hey Kendall,
Cutting is extremely addictive and sometimes knowing you have the ability to stop isn't enough to make you ready to put that ability to use. You need to get to a place where you're ready to let go of it. There are alot of things that can help you get to that place. Being open with people who love you is a good place to start. Trying to use alternatives is great. Finding a creative or athletic outlet for your emotions can be amazingly helpful. Seeing a therapist is a good option as well. Basically right now you've gotta strive to find your stability in something other than cutting. You have to be able to face yourself, your life, past, present, future, your emotions, your successes, and flaws using the strength you have inside of you and the support of the people who care about you. Sweetheart, you've gotta understand that the blade is never ever your only option. best of luck with everything and PM me anytime you need someone to talk to <3

Just Keep Breathing

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: Don't Want to Stop. - May 21st 2011, 07:11 PM

Hi Hun

It's very addictive but it's good to want to stop. Think about the fact that you really don't want to have to depend on pain for the rest of your life. When you're upset think about why you are and try to deal with it. Count backwards from ten breathe and remember that you really don't want to do that to yourself. <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Don't Want to Stop. - May 21st 2011, 10:55 PM

Part of the reason you went back to it, in my opinion, is because you don't want to stop. The only way to truly stop self harming, for good, is to WANT to stop and to want to stop for yourself. Stopping is more than just not doing it, you need healthier coping methods to take the place of the not so great ones you currently have. I think you should try and get professional help so you can learn better methods, and to help deal with whatever is making you harm yourself.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lashelle95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: naomi

Re: Don't Want to Stop. - May 23rd 2011, 07:04 PM

i totally know what ur going thru ...

Closed Thread