TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

View Poll Results: How have you hurt yourself?
cutting 24 85.71%
burning 14 50.00%
bruising 12 42.86%
other 14 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kendall Ann Offline
Kendall Ann
Not a n00b

Name: Kendall

Unhappy I can't stop - May 21st 2011, 03:14 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

It's impossible to stop. Like an addiction that I feed off of. I need to talk about it but I always end up in tears. The longest I've gone without it is two months then I started cutting like crazy. I burn I bruise I cut. My life is fucked. I've thought of ending it but.. I can't. It's so hard. So wrong. I need help. This non understandable pain is really startind to get to me, it has been for a while but... even when I was little I didn't think I'd live to be twenty. Aughh if only I were normally and happy. If only this depression could end but I can only think of one way now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evolution Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sam

Re: I can't stop - May 21st 2011, 09:08 AM

Hi,

Selfharm is a really bad addiction and i'm sorry you are feeling bad at the moment. I know this is hard but you can get through this, have you tried any of the alternatives? They will distract you will the urges fade, you need to find one that it right for you. You should talk to a family member or a teacher about how you are feeling at the moment, they could support you through and help you to stop.
I know you can do this,
Take care <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: I can't stop - May 21st 2011, 09:15 AM

Hey there,

I'm really sorry that things are rough for you at the moment. First of all it is great that you have recognised that you need help, that is the first step towards recovery. As you know SH is very addictive and it will take time and effort to stop, everyone slips up but don't be too hard on yourself, you should learn from it and try again.
As Evolution said have you looked at the alternatives thread? They will distract you while the urges fade, it is trial and error and not all of them may work for you but you WILL find one that does.
Also maybe try talking to someone that you trust such as a close family member or even a doctor, someone who can help and support you and get you the help you need to stop.
You can do this, i know you can! You have to stay strong and believe in yourself.
Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk,

Take care,
Charli

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xRTx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I can't stop - May 21st 2011, 04:04 PM

Keeping yourself busy and distracted helps...it does for me when I feel the urge to SH. Why do you SH? What is making you feel this way?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kendall Ann Offline
Kendall Ann
Not a n00b

Name: Kendall

Re: I can't stop - May 21st 2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRTx View Post
Keeping yourself busy and distracted helps...it does for me when I feel the urge to SH. Why do you SH? What is making you feel this way?
I'm always depressed. I don't usually have a legitiment reason

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: I can't stop - May 21st 2011, 05:59 PM

Sometimes you don't have to have a real reason for it. Mine can be triggered by nearly nothing at all. Which I think almost makes it harder because I just have to avoid all sources of stress.
My advice for it would be when you think you're about to, wait exactly ten minutes, if that doesn't work, wait another nine. Keep going down one minute. For some reason this works for me, I'm not sure why but it's like I keep having something to look forward to it's just not pain.
Try to find distractions, non stressful things like music, or going for a walk. The thing that always makes me want to stop is thinking about how bad I feel after, how I'm destroying all of my progress. But don't beat yourself up over a slip up either. Stay strong <3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
xRTx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I can't stop - May 22nd 2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall Ann View Post
I'm always depressed. I don't usually have a legitiment reason
Well, depression doesn't need to have a legiment reason. I was more thinking if something triggers you to SH, then you could find ways to make it so that you don't want to SH. I do agree with Maddie about waiting it out so you by the time you don't feel the need to do it, you wouldn't have self harmed.

What activites make you happy? Doing them to distract yourself may help as it focuses your mind on doing something else.

Its hard to stop and slip ups happen, but don't beat yourself over a slip up.

Closed Thread