TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxxskittlesxxx Offline
helloooo :D
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sophie

my friends don't understand - March 9th 2009, 04:40 PM

They know i self harm and why i self harm and such but i told them about this thing i am trying with the butterfly (drawing a butterfly on my wrist ect.)
and they just laugh at me!
no one seems to support me and its getting me down.
who can i turn to for support?
If i tell my counsellor she acts all dissapointed and speachless and its just soo tyering finding someone for support.

You don't know about my past, and
I don't have a future figured out.
And maybe this is going too fast.
And maybe it's not meant to last,

I AM A BANANA

imi , sophie , me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Marissa

Re: my friends don't understand - March 9th 2009, 04:55 PM

If your friends don't have personal experience with SH, they can seem insensitive because they just dont' have the capability to understand how you're feeling right now. That doesn't mean that they don't care, and I'm sure they want you to stop but there's not much they know to do to help you. Is your counselor a therapist/psychologist? if not, getting an appointment with a professional who knows about this stuff and has dealt with other ppl who SH will give you the attention and take you seriously. Also, if you ever want advice from other people, don't feel like you can't post on here; we care about you and we try to provide support and advice whenever you ask for it. Take care, and PM me if you want to talk!
Hope this helps.

-marissa

When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
xxxskittlesxxx Offline
helloooo :D
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sophie

Re: my friends don't understand - March 9th 2009, 05:06 PM

thanks for the reply.
one of my mates does self harm quite abit because i'm allways the one helping her.
My counsellors just a counsellor. i actualy don't know much about her because school explained it all to me when i was really low because the counsellors through school so i wasnt really listening.
Thanks for the advice.
x

You don't know about my past, and
I don't have a future figured out.
And maybe this is going too fast.
And maybe it's not meant to last,

I AM A BANANA

imi , sophie , me

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ChloeBean Offline
Average Joe

Name: Chloe

Re: my friends don't understand - March 9th 2009, 05:30 PM

Hey I know what you're talking about. The butterfly project came from that website ryl. I tried that and told my friend about it. She didn't understand either. Sorry that wasn't helpful...
  Send a message via MSN to ChloeBean  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: my friends don't understand - March 9th 2009, 05:36 PM

Hey Sophie,
I am sorry that your friends haven't been very supportive about your self harm. It can be really difficult when people close to us are not supportive. I guess though it is hard for people close to you to accept that you are hurting yourself and why you would do that to yourself; especially friends because they care about you. Maybe they don't know how to react or what to say so they think it is better just to laugh it off. Obviously, that isn't helpful at all and can make you feel so alone and isolated. Your friends probably don't know what to do for the best. My friends at school weren't supportive at all when they knew about my self harm, and laughed at me and called me an attention seeker. But that was due to their lack of understanding and I do understand how hard it can be. You don't have to be alone though and there are people who will be supportive. If the counsellor you are seeing isn't helping you then maybe you should try to see a different counsellor. Is this a school counsellor? If so is there another one you can see? If not then maybe you could go and see your doctor. Remember, that you are never alone. You are more than welcome to PM me if you ever want to talk. Stay strong :-)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Marissa

Re: my friends don't understand - March 9th 2009, 05:39 PM

Sometimes alternatives don't work for people...the butterfly thing didn't stop me, but I found that getting out of my house and doing something active can help me more. It's different for every person as far as what stops you. I would definitely suggest going to more than a school counselor, as they aren't as qualified to deal with your problems and can't prescribe antidepressants/etc to you if that ends up being what you need. In any case, finding a psychologist with experience with teens/SH will give you a better outlet then friends or the counselor.

When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.

Closed Thread