TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lost-and-shy Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Self harm stigma - March 9th 2009, 09:15 PM

how do i deal with this it's getting beyond stupid! Someone wrote in black board pen 'Cutter' all over my art final piece which is A1 and has taken me nearly a month to do... i only have 7 weeks of school left and we were suppossed to hand in our art coursework tomorrow for marking. Idk how this happened i never show my cuts to anyone they're well hidden. It's beginning to get hurtful i'm not an emo i have severe clinical depression and s/h is a lifeline of mine, it's a psychiatric dissorder!! My art teacher was infuriated idk for what reason because my work was ruined or the fact that he's an ex harmer ( i saw the scars). That destroyed me though.. idk what to do i can't just stop i'm trying though arrrgghh!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Self harm stigma - March 9th 2009, 11:48 PM

Hi,

I'm going to move this to self-harm, as I feel it's more appropriate there - if any mods disagree, feel free to move it back.

Sometimes the only way to get through to kids who are intolerant of things such as self harm, is to confront them and tell them, what they're doing and how they're acting, isn't ok. Talk to your art teacher about them - if he was upset because of what they did [understandably], I'm sure he'd take your side and help you confront them.

A lot of kids these days, especially in middle school/freshman year, throw the term 'emo' around and associate it with self-harm, but these kids, they're the ones who have no idea what it's like to be caught up in an addiction and to be struggling with things. You can't let what they say or do get to you because they aren't worth it, if they stereotype and act this way. They just aren't worth it.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Self harm stigma - March 9th 2009, 11:51 PM

That irritates me to no end. That's absolutely ridiculous.

1. Start with the logical route. Talk to your art teacher and explain the situation to him. Make sure that this won't affect your grade. In my opinion, it definitely shouldn't. This is not your fault. You don't necessarily have to talk about your own experiences, though you definitely could since you're guessing he's also had personal experience with self harm. I think he'd be really understanding, and I honestly think this is a fantastic opportunity to talk with someone that you should take if you're up to it.

2. Now then, for the rest of what I had to say. Okay, have you heard of the organization "To Write Love on Her Arms"? If not, I definitely recommend it. You can visit the website by clicking here. It's an organization dedicated to presenting hope and rescue to those struggling with basically any sort of issue from depression to self harm to eating disorders to really anything. It hugely focuses on the fact that we were all meant to do life together, and were meant to love and be loved. It's a great thing, and I think you'll thoroughly enjoy looking through the website and finding out about the movement.

3. If 'emo' means what it originally was meant to mean, which is that you feel emotion when you listen to music, then shoot, I sure am emo. In fact, I feel bad for people who aren't emo, because that would mean they wouldn't feel emotion when they listen to music, and that's just unfortunate. That's what music is meant to do.

Anyway, I'm really sorry that you're going through. You need to take this issue to someone who can handle it. Writing anything on your artwork is absolutely inappropriate, and writing "cutter" on it takes it to a whole new level.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Self harm stigma - March 10th 2009, 10:00 AM

This makes me mad, sometimes people really irritate me. You dont deserve to get your work ruined, I know how time-consuming art coursework can be. The person who did that obviously has no life, and is trying to make other people upset to get something out of it. I also think they're jealous, they might not be as good at art as you.

It's natural to feel angry about it, and of course your art teacher would be too. He'd want you to get the best marks possible, and someone has tried to destroy that chance.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but try to speak to your art teacher about it, see what you can do next.

x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Self harm stigma - March 10th 2009, 04:50 PM

That's so awful that this has happened to you, whoever did it obviously has no regard for others. Unfortunate though it is, i've found that you'll always encounter a stigma and be stereotyped. It's ridiculous, yes, but people are ignorant and don't understand about self harm. Talk to your teacher about it and explain how upset you are about your work being ruined. I shouldn't think it will effect your grade seeing as it's not your fault, at all, obviously. Maybe you could use this as an opportunity to talk to your teacher about self harm, also?

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Marissa

Re: Self harm stigma - March 10th 2009, 04:53 PM

I agree with the above advice, and I've been a supporter of TWLOHA for a while now; they're an amazing organization and I think you'll like the website.

Your teacher shouldn't take off any points on your work, since it was vandalism and it's not like you provoked anyone into doing this. Since he's had some experience in SH, as others have said definitely talk to him; I'm sure he will have suggestions/comfort for you. As for whatever punk who did that to your project, the best thing you can do (unfortunately, revenge isn't too realistic) is to be upfront if you know who they are and confront them about it or if you don't know who, don't let them know it gets to you. Keep closer watch over your artwork if possible so maybe in the future no one can have access to it to do that. Your teacher may be able to help you with this part.

Keep working on your art, especially since you seem to love it and having a passion is important when you're struggling with SH. Those who won't understand might never understand, but they don't matter in the least. What's important is you getting the support you need as you fight this crap. Take care <3

When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.

Closed Thread