TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jenanigans Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Be honest with me - June 2nd 2011, 10:10 PM

If you tell a therapist that you've self harmed, do you automatically get admitted to a hospital for a week for evaluation? I've heard this a few times and don't know if it's true. I've only self harmed twice ever, if you could even call it that, so I just wanna be careful what I say when I start seeing a therapist soon.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
summerbreeze Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Be honest with me - June 2nd 2011, 10:15 PM

yeah i would like to know also

"I believe everyone is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive."
-Benjamin E. Mays

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bnwhite Offline
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: Be honest with me - June 2nd 2011, 10:24 PM

In my experiences with therapists/counselors, they've never admitted me. Self-harm is always the first thing I bring up with them because it's the major thing I'm trying to overcome. If it's something you're majorly struggling with, I would suggest to not keep that from your therapist, especially if it's something you want help with. You have to remember that with therapy, you get what you put into it. And you shouldn't have to keep things from your therapist because all they want is to be able to help you. But if you're really worried about it, you could ask them during your initial meeting. Just ask them if there's anything that could get you admitted into a hospital.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life." --John Lennon

"What matters isn't that you fell, but that you got back up. No matter how many times it takes, it's that you get back up. We fall down and all isn't lost." --Renee Yohe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Be honest with me - June 2nd 2011, 10:45 PM

I think it depends where you are.

I told a mental health person I did and they didn't admit me. As far as I know they only admit you if they think there's a serious danger to your life so if you have plans to kill yourself then they would do. Honestly though, I think you should tell your therapist if you do it, if they know the full story then they're in a better place to help you so don't hold back from them.

I hope this helps, take care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Be honest with me - June 2nd 2011, 11:13 PM

I was never admitted, but they did strongly suggest that I should have. I didn't go, but I unless there's a serious threat, they most likely will not admit you or force you to do anything.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Be honest with me - June 3rd 2011, 12:06 AM

No, they won't automatically admit you to a hospital for saying you self harmed, especially if you aren't currently self harming or if you can promise them you'll be safe. They only admit you if you are an immediate danger to yourself or others.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Be honest with me - June 3rd 2011, 12:24 AM

Usually if you tell them that you really feel like hurting yourself and they feel that you are a danger to yourself, then they might take some action to try to keep you safe.
But you said you only did it like twice, so I don't think they would put you in a hospital for that. Only if they feel you're a danger to yourself. And they usually only think that if you say that you feel you are.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: donna

Re: Be honest with me - June 3rd 2011, 03:09 PM

I told my therapist that I had started self harming again, and though she asked heaps of questions, there was no talk of admittance to hospital.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Be honest with me - June 5th 2011, 07:58 AM

No, they don't admitt you to a hospital unless your self harm is so bad it could kill you or they feel you are a serious danger to yourself. I'd just ask the therapist about what types of things could get you admitted in to the hospital before you go into detail with them. I don't think you should keep anything back from the therapist though, they want to help and telling them as much about your situation and as much as you are comfortable with them knowing, can help you get the help you need.
Good luck and you can PM me if you ever need anything.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Be honest with me - June 5th 2011, 08:38 AM

Nope. At least mine didn't. She told me SH was normal and we didn't need to worry about it :/

Closed Thread