TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not4you Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenna

Now what do I do? - June 8th 2011, 07:08 AM

I used to self harm and my thighs are covered in raised scars. I am ashamed of them. I want to get rid of them but don't know how. People tell me to not be ashamed of them because they are a part of who I was, I understand that but I don't think i can show my scars without shame. Every time I start to build up the courage to not be so ashamed of them I think back when I told my best friend that I cut and she asked, "Do you just do it for attention?" I am hurt that she ever asked that because in no way did I cut for attention and I am afraid that if I let them show people will think I do it only for that. So how do you guys cope or even get rid of the scars? They are about a year or more old.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: Now what do I do? - June 8th 2011, 08:06 PM

Honestly, I've just kind of learned to embrace mine, granted they aren't that bad on my legs but I have a lot of my arm from various things, not just self harm. And even though I hate them, I've learned that eventually people just deal with the fact that they're there.

There are gels that you can use to make them less noticeable. Mederma is on that worked reasonably well on the ones on my legs, and my friend used it on a scar after a car accident. It doesn't matter how long you've had the scars other than the fact that you have to use the cream longer. It actually helped me stop self harming because when I wanted to I would put the stuff on my scars instead.

I think that it would be good for you to be able to embrace the scars as part of you, but at the same time, I understand wanting them gone.

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: donna

Re: Now what do I do? - June 9th 2011, 11:33 AM

I hide my scars. luckily most of them have faded so they don't get noticed. Most of the time I tell myself that they are a part of me. But when someone notices and asks me about them I blush, get embarrassed and freak out a little. It took me a long time to even show them in public around people I didn't know. But I guess it's something you come to terms with over time.
In terms of getting rid of scars, I temporarily hid them with make up and have used natural vitamin E oil in capsules to heal them, but I didn't find that it worked very well.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Euphoria Offline
Stained glass masquerade
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Now what do I do? - June 9th 2011, 11:48 AM

I agree with maddie. You should learn to embrace them. Granted I'm still working onthat part, but I know I've gotta get there at some point. I only have one raised scar on my thigh luckily but a few others which should heal soon. I find that self harm scars show how strong we are because we came through and survived. Mine at least show how strong I am because I've been able to conquer it and quit.

I think you should really learn and work to embrace them though I do understand wanting to get rid of them.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not4you Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenna

Re: Now what do I do? - June 9th 2011, 05:53 PM

Well all my scars on my upper thighs and they are all about an inch long and raised. They are probably like 60 of them on each of my legs and I ALWAYS worry about them showing. I want to try and them but it is so hard to do. I understand that it isn't easy to embrace them but I don't even know where to start. I feel like I can make progress until someone looks at me funny for them or say something about them =/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: Now what do I do? - June 9th 2011, 08:01 PM

I use this thing that has cocoa lotion and vitamin - e stuff in it, and I exfoliate them... its a VERY slow process but I think I can see an improvement since I started abt 3 months ago... I also find putting a fake tan over them helps a bit, and if you put it all over it gives you a healthy glow
Embracing the scars is hard, and it can take you back to a horrible time, but accepting your past is important and so it moving on Just remember you're a great person and if people can't accept your past, they're not worth it! <3 Xxx

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
Closed Thread