TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lullaby857 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 10th 2011, 03:52 AM

Sorry, forgot to put a trigger warning on it. I'm new to this site so I\m getting the hang of things like that. The poem's not too bad i don't think, but maybe around line 4, 8, and 10 definitely.

Wrote this poem about a quote I saw earlier today: “How many times can I break before I shatter?”

Here it is:

Days go by, same as always,
Never thought it'd come to this,
My life never really seemed so bad,
But on the inside everything is different

No one can see how badly I hurt,
How I want to cry, to scream, to end it all,
And so they continue

Little by little, eating away at me,
Never seeing the damage,
Never caring if they do

At night, alone in my room, I cry,
Thinking of everything that has hurt me,
The Blade seems so friendly then,
So I use it to block out the pain

But how many more times will this happen?
How many more times will I break even more inside?
How many times can I break before I shatter?

I'm scared to tell, what if they laugh?
What if they see it as a way to hurt me more?
What if they simply don't care?

So alone in my room, I cry myself to sleep,
When I wake, the pain is fresh,
And the blade helps me again

But how long can this go on?
How many more times must I break?
How many times can I break before I shatter?

The blood running down my arm is my own,
This I can control, this I can decide for myself,
The only one who can hurt me is me,
And so that's exactly what i do

But the pain of it all is too much,
All of it is too much to bear,
And so how long before I've had enough?
How many more times can I break before I shatter?

Last edited by Lullaby857; June 10th 2011 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to put trigger on

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Katley Offline
<3 <3 </3 <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 10th 2011, 04:10 AM

Okay, hey, me again. Sora.

This is how you feel, huh? You sound like me....

You say no one can see how badly you hurt...
.... But what if they do. Do you hide it all? People may see, but most dont know how to say anything. To help you. I used to say that too, and then id have a shadow of my former self to convince them i was okay, and they believed me. But sometimes, you need to let go. Give them a hint of how you feel. You cant always expect people to know all the time, as much as that may be what you want.

You wrote you use the blade to block out the pain
... Do you see the temporary effects? its nice, isnt it. But think of the emotional pain it gives you afterward. The hate for yourself that you could do that.

You said you are afraid to shatter
...give yourself something to believe in. Bring God back into your life.

Your afraid that they will laugh, or hate you, or make fun of you.
...Sometimes, taking the risk is what is necessary to find someone who really cares. And if they make fun of you, they would have never been any help anyway. They wouldnt matter. Because thinking of it all, when you do this to yourself, its so selfish. Its for only you.

You say you like to control it
... But in life, are we really supposed to be in control?

I have faith in you. I know you can get through this. I know it seems completely impossible, or you may be afraid. You may not WANT to stop (i didnt.... i really didnt.)

but you need to know that you CAN, and you MUST, and even if you feel that the blade will fix everything, you should know in your heart that it wont.

It wont.

Nothing is an excuse to cut, and thats all this is. Another excuse to cut. Because yeah, you like it. And yeah, you know its wrong. But its not an excuse

I pray that God gives you strength, and power over your addictions and suffering, and that he gives you someone who you can turn to in your time of need.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kiiaa_Samiii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Samiii

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 10th 2011, 09:42 AM

Hi,

I really really like this poem, i often write poems on how i feel too. I feel it helps me to cope.
But it is true, you can stop. I was basically forced to stop by so many people for so many reasons. I Hated it, i had to promise, and for me i never broke promised.
Anyway, I still get urges to cut, really strong ones. I wont lie, it is hard to stop. But it is possible
Though i dont know you, I believe you can stop, if you are willing too

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shelby

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 19th 2011, 10:56 PM

This is really good. However, you can stop. As cheesy as it it, times heals all wounds. Let yourself be happy, give it time. You can overcome this.

You've gotta swim, swim for your life. Swim for the music that saves you, when you're not so sure you'll survive. You gotta swim and swim when it hurts. The whole world is watching. You haven't come this far to fall off the earth.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bayhorse321 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shoshana (Shana)

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 19th 2011, 11:04 PM

Amazing poem. I know how you feel exactly and I can relate to this so well. I do however agree with Sora, and well everyone else. You can beat this. I have faith in you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Rainbow Ninja Offline
Dont judge just listen
Not a n00b

Name: Jackie Lee

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 20th 2011, 04:29 PM

wow this is good so emotional keep it up hun i really liked this

dont forget you matter to me

just because it seems no one cares dosnet mean i dont

live life now becasue if you dont well you only have one life

dont watch me grow up no has so you wont either

shoot for the moon you will always land in the stars

dont forget where you came from

love is an ocean it has different forms

(#7 (permalink)) Old
pixietheangel Offline
i give advice xx
Not a n00b

Name: pixie

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 21st 2011, 05:59 PM

Hey first of all about the poem , its really good. I think you should keep writing , if not purely for the release of feelings it can give you. Next time you fele like self harming try writing a poem like this one. Anything to distract you , keep you focused, something to belive in.
People do care, i felt liek that and now my problems is my friends talk abotu me to each toheer becuase they are worried and they cry , i hate the attention but i think you should tell someone. A close friend? if they do laugh try somene else. it will be painful but even if it takes you a few times , if you find someone who you can trust and lekan on it can make all the difference <3
I self harm and i totally undertsand the like feeling of controlling. Of being the one who is in controll of your feeligns. Wanting controll is ok , but focusing it on hamring yourself is not. Try a new hobby? you clearly like writing so continue with that, maybe focis on an instrument? or make a lsit of things oyu want to ahceive and try working on that. Its all about sort of tailoring this idea to you and finding something you lvoe. Thats what ekeeps me going , fereeling like im good at something and it could go somewhere. Pm me if you ened anytihing <3

Change the voices in your head,
make them like you instead

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lullaby857 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 22nd 2011, 01:12 AM

Thanks everyone for saying you like my poem. Things have been a lot better for me lately anyways.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
iloveyouu.(: Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dani. (:

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 23rd 2011, 05:09 AM

This poem is amazing.

Very well-done. (:

(#10 (permalink)) Old
calgary01 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 23rd 2011, 06:43 AM

It expresses things well. i like
  Send a message via Skype™ to calgary01 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
bipolar Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leah

Re: Poem I wrote about self-harm, let me know what you think - June 27th 2011, 02:37 PM

i wish like hell i was one of those people who could write a poem to keep myself from cutting... to keep myself from SH. i keep myself BUSY. but im so not. i have to get a piece of paper and scribble all over it until its completely black, and then i have to cut SOMETHING. ANYTHING. i have to write on my thumb: something i like to look at. on my index finger: something i like to touch. on my middle finger something i like to smell. on my ring finger something i like the taste of. and on my pinky something i like to listen to and on my palm something i like about myself. sometimes i have to whip out a piece of paper right there in the middle of class. its hell. and then people ask what im doing and i have to say something stupid like "uhhh idkk." and i look like an idiot. i so wish i were you right now. anyways. this poem is AMAZING. really good. keep writting.

Closed Thread