TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hisgirl058 Offline
Dark Brotherhood Listener
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Audrey

First Time - March 11th 2009, 01:47 AM

I cut myself for the first time today. At the time I did it I wasn't scared, but now I'm a little nervous. It made me feel better, and I don't want to end up cutting myself all the time. I just don't know what to do. I don't have anyone I can talk to about this or a lot of things. I feel lost and confused.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
chhd Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Savanna

Re: First Time (Triggering?) - March 11th 2009, 02:26 AM

Yeah that's usually the feeling you get or well that's what i get and my friends that cut do too. I know your expecting someone to say this but please stop. I've been doing this for 5 years now and im only 16 trust me you don't want to end up like me. I know it does make you feel better at least until you look at what you did to yourself. Why did you cut in the first place? PM me if you want to talk or ever need anything.

Then she closed her eyes
And found relief in a knife
The blood flows as she cries
Between The Trees-The Way She Feels

As she sits in the corner
face to the floor
she dispels smoke from from her lips
and slowly floats away with it
lettinggo of so much pain
her tears are thick enough to stain
the pavement that slowly becomes
her best friend when she needs to run away
Between The Trees- A Time For Yohe
  Send a message via AIM to chhd Send a message via Yahoo to chhd  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hisgirl058 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: First Time (Triggering?) - March 11th 2009, 02:33 AM

I guess I'm just going through a rough time. My boyfriend of two years just dumped me, I'm growing apart from my friends, I have to start college in the fall, I'm stuck in a religion I don't want to be in because of my parents, and I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to. I don't feel like anyone cares enough about me. I'm afraid to talk to anyone. I feel so stressed and scared and alone. I just don't know what to do.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: First Time (Triggering?) - March 11th 2009, 02:48 AM

Hey there.
I'm really sorry that you've felt so down lately, and I know that it really sucks to feel like you are alone. But, how can you expect other people to reach out if you don't reach out? What I mean is that, sometimes people just don't know that we're suffering, until we decide to tell them, make them listen and hear it. I know that it's tough to talk, but it's something that sounds like it could really help you out.

You don't deserve to suffer. You don't deserve to be in pain, physically or emotionally. No one deserves that. I know that cutting seems like a great way to momentarily get rid of all the pain that you're feeling right now, but it only brings you more problems in the long run. It kills your family, when they find out. It kills you when you have to hide your arms from everyone. When you become a person constantly living in fear that someone will lift up your sleeves and find out about your secret. It really tears you up inside. So, you see, in the long run - it only makes your life ten times worse off then it is right now. It kills you inside. Are you really ready to step into that kind of darkness? Any person that's living today who happens to be a fully addicted self harmer, they'd kill to be in your shoes right now - and I bet you any money that they would chose to completely walk away from self harm, because they would want to be happy, and they know that self harm brings you anything but happiness.

So, like I said, life might be hard right now, but you do have a choice - you can continue to self harm, and watch it completely take over your life, whether you chose for it to or not. Or, maybe you can talk to someone, or at the most simply try your best to walk away, and shove this all aside.

I know it's hard, but not impossible - you will be happy again, maybe even someday soon. But self harm is definitely not that way to happiness.

If you ever need to chat I'm always here. x

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: First Time (Triggering?) - March 11th 2009, 02:50 AM

Hey,

I think a lot of people here will agree with me when I say, let this be the first and only time you hurt yourself. It's easy at first, to think you have control over it but it doesn't take long at all for it to become an addiction that's hard to shake. Self harm is a temporary solution, it doesn't help in the long run, just hurts you more. It's not going to solve anything or make any problems disappear; it might help for an hour or two but what happens when the effects are gone? Are you going to hurt yourself more? It's running from the problem and when you run, the problem's still there and sooner or later it's going to catch up to you.

Find healthier ways to cope with how you're feeling - take up a hobby for when you're stressed or vent in a blog/journal. Is there anyone you feel comfortable talking to any of this about, like a trusted friend or teacher? Talking about what's on your mind, getting it out of your head, it can really help because bottling it all up inside isn't good, it's going to lead to things like self harm and again, it's not a healthy coping method, it's unreliable.

Try to keep yourself from SH if you can because it's really not something you want to get caught up in if you can avoid it, it really doesn't take that long before it gets out of control. I know I would take back my first cut if I could, and I'm sure many others would as well.

If you ever want to talk about anything I'm just a PM away, ok? Take care of yourself.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
hisgirl058 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: First Time (Triggering?) - March 11th 2009, 03:00 AM

Thank you, everyone. I'm going to try to find someone I can talk to, but I just don't know if there even is anyone. I don't want people to think I'm doing this for the attention. I need attention, but that's not the reason I'm doing this. I just need someone who I can totally trust, and right now I don't have anyone like that. Not anyone that I can just talk to whenever. There's maybe one or two people I would even feel comfortable talking to, and they have really busy schedules and I don't want to bother them. I don't even know if they care that much about me.

I guess for now I'll just try to think of other things, and text someone or get online if I feel like cutting again. I'm trying so hard to find someone to talk to. I just don't have that many close friends.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Marissa

Re: First Time - March 11th 2009, 06:51 PM

I know that you're already thankful for the advice above, but I just want to say that I completely agree with them. The short-lived relief you got from this time is NOT going to be something you can control if you keep going. I thought that I would only hurt one area on my wrist at first, and before a few months had passed I was running out of room on my entire forearm and didn't even notice that the cuts were getting steadily deeper. There are so many healthy ways you can deal with the stress in your life, please don't turn to this. It won't get you anything except a reason to withdraw from people even more (you can kiss summer hangouts/swimming/short sleeves goodbye if you cut enough). If you concentrate on reconnecting with those friends, and talking to the few people you trust about how you're feeling, that will put you a long way towards feeling better without the negative consequences of getting addicted to cutting. Don't assume that they don't want to listen to you; if they care about you, then they'll want to know that you need and are asking for help. Also, always feel free to post here if you feel the need for extra support and opinions; we want to help you be happy again. Take care, and PM if you want to talk about anything

When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
hisgirl058 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: First Time - March 12th 2009, 02:24 AM

Thank you, everyone. I'm trying really hard not to do it again. I know some of you have mentioned that it might be hard to hide the scars/cuts, but I just made one cut on my leg just above my knee. I was too afraid that if I cut my arm, someone would find it. But nobody sees my legs, since I'm not really a shorts person even in summer.

It kind of scares me that I can be so logical about this. I don't really feel like cutting again, but I'm afraid I might. I'm trying to reconnect with my friends, and text them when I feel like cutting, though I haven't told them about this.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I'm trying to figure out a way to work through this.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
asyoulikeit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Marissa

Re: First Time - March 12th 2009, 06:43 PM

It's not necessary (really, it depends on the friend) to tell them about the fact that you tried cutting, but talking to them when you're low is really important since they have a good chance of bringing your mood up when you need it. Sometimes you just need to focus out to keep yourself from going crazy; that's why purging via sports/writing/art helps so many people. As for your leg, don't assume that you'll never need to show your thigh if you continue this. Even if you're not a shorts person, no matter where you cut you'll get self-concious and constantly wonder if ppl are noticing even if you're covered. I hope you can find someone to talk to about how you've been feeling, and keep updating us as to how you're doing!

When you say "never", I'll say "lie"
When you say "always", I'll say "true"
When you say "love", I'll say "you"
I'll say "you"

It gets better.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Daina

Re: First Time - March 15th 2009, 03:10 AM

it only feels good if you expect it to feel good. Maybe your friends say its cool and will make you feel good and make your problems go away but trust me the problems get worse and after a long time of cutting scar after scar it gets really painful. The reason i had cut is because in was in and felt good but 4 years passed and it was ruining my life i was running away from my problems instead of working through it and get it resolved. It makes stress a lot worse and people who do cut make fun and drive you to cut more thats what people want when making fun is a reaction in this case a very negative reaction. This is your chance not to keep cutting because if you quit now it will be easier then later.
  Send a message via AIM to daina_aka_buffy_1989 Send a message via Yahoo to daina_aka_buffy_1989  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ruthless_Sin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Phallon

Re: First Time - March 18th 2009, 12:58 AM

i used to cut. i had nothing to lose so it didn't matter. but then i met this guy, he changed everything for me. he made me realize that if i'm not going to do it for me then do it for the ones i love. try reversing the roles. take someone you really care about and imagine if they were cutting. wouldn't you wnat them to stop? well someone wants you to stop. if you can't do it for you, do it for them.
  Send a message via AIM to Ruthless_Sin Send a message via MSN to Ruthless_Sin Send a message via Yahoo to Ruthless_Sin  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
hisgirl058 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: First Time - March 18th 2009, 02:13 AM

I just want to let everyone know that I told someone. My best friend. He's going to help me. He's going to make me stop. He made me throw away my razor and said I could call him whenever I need to, and go to his house if I need to.

I still feel like I want to cut, but I told him I wouldn't. It's hard. It was hard to tell him. But I trust him more than anyone.

Thank you for all your advice. I'll keep you posted.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: First Time - March 18th 2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirl058 View Post
I just want to let everyone know that I told someone. My best friend. He's going to help me. He's going to make me stop. He made me throw away my razor and said I could call him whenever I need to, and go to his house if I need to.

I still feel like I want to cut, but I told him I wouldn't. It's hard. It was hard to tell him. But I trust him more than anyone.

Thank you for all your advice. I'll keep you posted.

Aw, that's great
I'm glad you have more support now then you have had in the past.
Hopefully you can take a few steps forward now, I'm really glad you decided to speak up. Oh, and remember that you always have all of us to. Hang in there. xx

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Closed Thread