TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fill my heart with love.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ash

Is it just me? - July 8th 2011, 04:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So i know that im not the only one in the world who self harms. But I feel like Im the only one at my school...
I dont want others to self harm, i just feel so alone in it all as far as people at my school.
See, i go to a snooty (some might say prestigious, i say snooty) prep school and everyone is so...wholesome...and normal.
Anyways i was just wondering what the chances are that someone else self harms among my friends/classmates, even in such an environment? And be honest, don't just say they're are to make me feel less alone or whatever. I mean I've never noticed any evidence of self harm on anyone in my class before, although im not exactly hunting it out. I'm just kinda curious as to the chances. so im gonna sign off now cause at this point im just rambling... Thanks!!

"When you've forgiven but you cant forget feels like your drowning but still got breath"

i love you.

YOU are beautiful no matter what and dont YOU forget it!!! <3

PM me if you need to talk!(:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jaii Offline
Not a n00b

Name: sophie

Re: Is it just me? - July 8th 2011, 04:35 PM

there is a possibility that you are the only one, even if this is true, therewont be anybody who would lie to make you feel better.
i am a cutter, and i know that there are a lot of others at my school, because i go to a massive school, but i am definatley aware that i am the only person in my classes, and i know this becuase i am in a top set and everybody else is so, well, happy and cool, i just feel so alone too, but its ok when you know that nobody cares if you do or not, that they still love you for you, trust me,

hope you are ok, x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Is it just me? - July 8th 2011, 05:00 PM

At my old school, in my yeargroup there were around 200 students. I thought I was the only one who was self harming because everyone seemed as you put it "wholesome and normal" I have since found out that there were at least 5 others who self harmed at some point during school (and that people I was friendly with - who knows how many other people there were). People hide it well. My mum didn't find out until a month ago when I was in hospital for a suicide attempt and the nurse took my blood pressure while my mum was visiting me, and that was only because I let her see the scars (I've been doing it for 6 years now).
You could be right and there might not be anyone else in your school who does, but it's fairly likely that at least one other person is - According to CNN.com, one in five teens say they have purposely injured themselves at some time (http://www.troubledteen101.com/articles48.html).

You may feel like it, but you are not alone (I find that the snooty people are generally more concerned about hiding things that aren't "normal")

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fill my heart with love.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is it just me? - July 8th 2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I find that the snooty people are generally more concerned about hiding things that aren't "normal"
Talk about an "Aha!" moment!! Your so completely right.

Thanks to both of you... maybe its not just me after all.

"When you've forgiven but you cant forget feels like your drowning but still got breath"

i love you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Is it just me? - July 8th 2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfallinginlove View Post
Talk about an "Aha!" moment!! Your so completely right.

Thanks to both of you... maybe its not just me after all.
My cousins went to a "prestigious" private school (we were constantly being told it was the same school Ainsle Harriott's daughter went to - as if it mattered) and the things that family have managed to hide are astonishing. Drug problems, self harm, trouble with the police etc. yet they make out that they are perfect. Just bear in mind that some people are so concerned about how they appear on the outside that they will do anything to hide the "undesirable" traits.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
bnwhite Offline
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: Is it just me? - July 8th 2011, 07:45 PM

I have no idea if you'd be the only one at your school who self-harms or not. But chances are there's someone else there that suffers with it, too. I mean, I went to a high school with over 2000 people. I don't personally know anyone else there that self-harms, but I'm sure there's plenty there. It's just like no one knew that I self-harmed and I'm sure I wouldn't be the first person they'd think of as being a self-harmer. You never know who might be self-harming.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life." --John Lennon

"What matters isn't that you fell, but that you got back up. No matter how many times it takes, it's that you get back up. We fall down and all isn't lost." --Renee Yohe

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fill my heart with love.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is it just me? - July 8th 2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Just bear in mind that some people are so concerned about how they appear on the outside that they will do anything to hide the "undesirable" traits.
Its so so true! Its unbelievable what people manage to hide! They don't realize that the image of perfection is an unreachable goal.

i love you.

Closed Thread