TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Full of Regret Offline
Relapse
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Regan

When I'm done SHing - July 10th 2011, 02:30 PM

First off, how do I determine whether a thread might be triggering for someone?..

My real question was what about when we're done SHing. When we have finally managed to quit and want to start anew. Will you hide your scars for the rest of your life or let them show to let other people know what you have been through?

Just curious about everyone else cuz I've never taken the time to think that far ahead.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts,
And I looked and behold: a pale horse.
And his name, that sat on him, was Death.
And Hell followed with him.

0 days free of SH

(#2 (permalink)) Old
kat12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 10th 2011, 05:25 PM

Most of the places I SHed was hidden. So I hide the scars I have. When people do see them most of the time they don't say anything. My closer friends have said something and I explain but then let quickly start a new conversation. So I guess it's just how you look at it and what kind of personality you have.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 10th 2011, 05:44 PM

I don't self harm on my arms anymore but I don't hide my scars. I wear what I want and if it means my scars are showing then that's fine. I'm not going to spend my whole life hiding away and being ashamed.

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 10th 2011, 06:13 PM

I still SH but not on my arms, that's probably the biggest regret of my life. I don't hide them because when it is how I can't deal with sleeves, I don't admit to what they are though... I don't think about the future anymore so I don't know what is ahead Xxx

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 10th 2011, 08:36 PM

That's a good question. I guess it depends who I'm around. At the moment I'm still far too conscious to let anyone see them so I'd rather hide them. I'm hoping in the future that they'll have faded and then i'll feel more comfortable being open. I know one thing though, I'll never feel comfortable enough to wear short sleeves in front of my parents.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 10th 2011, 09:01 PM

My scars are on my forearm, so it's not all that obvious it's SH, and I have had a pretty bad van accident when I was in highschool, and it left quite a few scars on my elbow, so I just pass it off as part of the accident. Not that I am ashamed or anything, it's just easier than talking about it in my opinion, since I didn't self harm for the same reason as most people

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 17th 2011, 02:17 AM

Hm, it depends who I'm around. Most of the time I don't self harm on my arms, but currently I have no choice but to hide it. For any scars that I do have on my arms, I don't think I will hide when I'm around friends or classmates, but when I get older I want to be a doctor (that's a long way away), so it would probably be best of me to hide it when I'm at work if they don't fade.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Foreveralways Offline
Forever and alway<3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: M:)

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 17th 2011, 03:37 AM

I hide mine by writeing with sharpie on them like right now my wrist say stay strong. But you can show if you want.

I love you<3 I'm here for you!! PM me or VM me for anything you need!!!STAY STRONG!
TUMBLR<3 follow me

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 17th 2011, 04:45 AM

I will never hide my scars, for I may be ashamed of the SH itself, but never the scars. I won't advertise it, but I won't hide it.

And for the future.. I guess I'd be a bit more open about my experiences than I am now.. But I plan to get a good number of them tattooed over, which I have already been approved of. Those tattoos will have some relevance to my SH or what was going on during that time.. A bit of my story.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Misslostintears Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Daisy

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 17th 2011, 05:56 AM

I have most of my scars on my stomach due to the fact that my parents will kill me
But if it were up to me I would show them to the world. Say this is me. I SH and I don't care what you say. Because you have never been in my place completely. Love me or hate me I don't care

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 17th 2011, 06:04 AM

I used to SH on my left arm and now I don't try to hide the scars,though I'm still a bit self concious with my movements.Like the other night when I was explaining to a friend what tattoos I wanted to get I demastrated on my right arm instead of my left and I also tend to keep my arm face down instead of up.So I guess I still sorta try to hide it but not completely

You wonder why I never smile anymore,but with broken homes come broken smiles.

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

My heart is so numb,that I can't feel it breaking

(#12 (permalink)) Old
bnwhite Offline
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 17th 2011, 06:05 AM

I don't necessarily hide my scars from people. I wear what I want and do whatever it is I want to do, without worrying about how to hide my scars. But I am still self-conscious about it. If I catch people staring, I turn my arms so they can't see the scars anymore. And I rarely share my story of self-harm.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life." --John Lennon

"What matters isn't that you fell, but that you got back up. No matter how many times it takes, it's that you get back up. We fall down and all isn't lost." --Renee Yohe

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 17th 2011, 07:40 PM

I'm very lucky my cuts were never deep enough to leave a lot of permanent scars. I have three deep, permanent scars on my body, one of them being my wrist, and I wear a wrist band/bracelets over it. The other two are on my legs, and are separated, so when I wear shorts they arn't terribly noticeable, but usually I just wear pants.
Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 17th 2011, 07:46 PM

I have scars on my arms that I don't hide anymore. I'm not going to hide them ever, it gets warm in summer.

I have more noticeable scars on my legs that I don't show as often just since I prefer to wear trousers than shorts and skirts.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: When I'm done SHing - July 18th 2011, 02:34 AM

Luckily I have no scars on my arms, but I have some really thick ones on my thighs. Although you can only see them if I'm wearing shorts or a miniskirt (or bikini, etc) I'm not bothered hiding them for the rest of my life. I'm deeply ashamed of my SH and if anyone asks about them I'll lie, but anyone who sees them and silently assumes, I'm not going to correct them.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Closed Thread