TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
StayStrong6 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sharna

Unhappy Nobody Understands - August 8th 2011, 11:21 AM

I spent weeks hyping myself up to tell my mother I cut myself.
Today, I finally told her. She calmly told me she used to self-injure in a few
ways as well. But she said I should just stop?
I told her it has addictive qualities, But she still expects me to just stop.
I thought she might understand you can't just stop. I was hoping to see a
doctor or something and get help in quitting, but after telling her, and having
her let me know she doesn't want others knowing about it, I feel I should just
keep doing it and cover them up so she can't see them.
I really can't stop doing it. I think I need help because I can't do this on my own.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Nobody Understands - August 8th 2011, 11:35 AM

Hey there,

I'm so glad that you told your mom, that took a lot of courage and you should be proud of yourself for that.
It sounds like your mother understands what it is like and in some ways that is good because she knows how you are feeling. You said she isn't doing anything about it but when people find out that others close to them are Self Harming it can be hard to take in and people react differently. Also with the fact that your mom used to SH she is probably thinking you are going through the same pain that she went through and that is probably very hard to take in. It may her way of coping with this and I think you should talk to her and tell her how you are feeling about this.
Once the initial shock has worn offi'm sure she will come around.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk,
Take care,
Charli

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Nobody Understands - August 10th 2011, 05:35 PM

Hey there.

Even though it probably didn't go as planned I think admitting to your mum that you self harm was such a positive step in the right direction. I think you did really well to be honest and open with your mum and make her aware that you do self harm. However I am sorry it didn't go as well as it could have done.

You're reaching out for help which is great. You're asking for help. We're always here to support you as much as we can but there is only so much we can do with being online. I would suggest you think about seeing your doctor and explaining your situation and perhaps asking about getting help and the possibility of having counseling. This could be someone you can talk to when you need them and to help you manage the urges you have and help you stay on top and in control. They'd help you in a way which would help you.

I know it's hard but you're worth so much more than self harm and you don't need to hurt yourself any more than you are already hurting inside. You don't need it, you are stronger than it.

Stay strong and chin up.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dark Horse Offline
Used to be ellabella:)
Average Joe

Name: Arabella

Re: Nobody Understands - August 10th 2011, 06:56 PM

I agree with the others - telling your mom was extremely brave and you're on the right path now! I suggest trying to talk to your mom about talking to a therapist? From what I gather, she thinks that you'll get over it by yourself? But sometimes we need a little guidance! As Charli said, she's probably just a little bit shocked. If my daughter told me that she was SHing, it would be hard for me to take in too. Anyway, I'm sure if you talk to her about how you're feeling at the moment, she'd be happy to help you in what ever way she can. She's your mom and she loves you and only wants what's best for you. Well done for telling someone! Take care
-Arabella.

Tears Falling Down To Lips Unkissed
Ignore Her And She Won't Exist
She's Not The Kind You'll Come To Miss

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Peri Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Faye

Re: Nobody Understands - August 10th 2011, 07:33 PM

Hi there,

Telling someone else, especially someone close to you like your mother, can be extremely difficult. So you should feel proud of that, because with issues like self injury.. it relies on secrecy and a lot of hiding.

I'm sorry that your telling your mother didn't go the way you wanted it to. Like others have said, I suggest you visit your doctor and see if he can refer you to a counselor where you can get some help with your SI issues. If seeing your doctor isn't a possibility, then perhaps a school nurse/counselor if you're still in education? In any case, you can always come to TH where there are lots of people who will try to help you.

Closed Thread