TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rose

i know i need to stop but i dont want to - August 20th 2011, 01:24 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i've been cutting for about 8 months now, now including the 5 weeks i actually held myself together, then lost it, went about another 3 and tehn totally lost it. and today i cut myself not really deep but it bled alot about 15 times and i realized i need to stop... but i really dont want to. i like it, i like cutting. but im sick of having to hide the cuts so i wont get in trouble with my parents..... idk is it even worth trying to stop?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
amandaann Offline
Average Joe

Name: Amanda

Re: i know i need to stop but i dont want to - August 20th 2011, 03:07 AM

It is Hun, pm anytime. I know where you are very well.(: don't give up Hun

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: i know i need to stop but i dont want to - August 20th 2011, 04:45 PM

Hey there.

I am really sorry your struggling with self harm. Its hard to deal with these sorts of urges and it can take time to overcome them and completely stop self harming.

I think you need to come up with a list of reasons not to self harm. Some could be ..
  • It's dangeours
  • It leaves scars
  • It's only a short term solution
  • It doesn't help the actual issues behind the self harm
  • It causes you pain
  • You don't need self harm
  • It could make things worse in the long tern
  • There are alternatives to self harm
  • It could just be causing another problem
  • You are worth more than self harm

Try come up with some of your own like these and write them down on a big sheet of paper and decorate it and stick it up on you wall or somewhere where you can see it so that every time you want to hurt yourself and read through them to help you quickly realise there are reasons not to self harm.

Do you have anyone who helps you and supports you with your self harm? If not it could be a good idea. You say you hide it from your parents and I was wondering why this is? There is help out there for you and you can get someone to work with you such as a councellor who'll support you while you struggling with self harm and eve afterwards. They'll help you learn to manage the urges as well and help you deal with the issues which trigger you to want to self harm.

Also here is a link to a list of alternatives to self harm. I know not everything on that list will help you but there will be at least a few things which will help so it's all about trial and error. Don't give up and stop trying when you come across something which doesn't help, keep on trying!

Remember if you cut yourself to deep you need to seek medical attention!

I know it's hard for you right now but you need to want to stop to self harm and you need that determination so try making that list! I really hope you start to feel better soon and can manage to stop self harming in time. You CAN beat this and remember you're worth so much more than self harm.

Take care,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread