TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mollie. Offline
Previously known as M4k :P
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Molly

:/ - August 23rd 2011, 07:32 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My sister has been away at a mental health place for like the last month.. She was doing good, then she was out on leave with my mum, and she somehow snuck a razor back in. Then again she was doing better, and she ran away with two other patients in a bomb scare and she cut again, deep enough for stitches. Then, she came home for the weekend that just passed, we thought she was doing really well, she seemed happy and doing fine. Today, my dad asked me to search her room to find a box of pills that i found there at the start of the year, they werent there, then i found something.. It was lots and lots of toilet paper, and a shirt.. the toilet paper was drenched in blood, it was still bright red.. this was from sunday, its now tuesday, it was also still slightly damp looking, the shirt was also fairly covered in blood... I told dad and he said yeah shes hurt herself again, and I asked how bad all he said was she needed attention.. We found about 20 razors.. And I asked if she was coming home soon and he said no.. I gave him the suicide note that i found as well.. I also found pictures.. of her cuts.. They are so deep, and it made me so scared.. I dont want her to do too far one day..

I'm sorry if you read all this.. but i just wanted to know, is there anything I can do for her? I just wnat her to get better, but she doesnt want to help herself.. I want my old sister back, but im afraid im going to lose her..

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."
-Aristotle

The one who
makes you cry
isn't worth your tears.
The one who
is worth your
tears would never
make you cry.

Send a message via MSN to Mollie.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: :/ - August 23rd 2011, 09:23 AM

Hi Mollie, I'm sorry you're having to go through this. All too often people who self harm don't realise how much pain & hurt they're causing those around them. I know it's hard but unless your sister wants to help herself, there's not much you can do. The only thing you can do is reassure her that you'll always be there for her, that you love her and if she ever wants to talk to you she can. I really do hope for everyone's sake your sister gets better.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: :/ - August 26th 2011, 08:58 PM

Hey there.

I am really sorry that your sister and your family are having to go through this. I can relate to how hard it can be to see a love with suffer from this sort of pain and hurt.

I think it's really good and lovely that you care about your sister so much that you're sat here posting this thread. It proves your a good sister. But truth be told she has to help herself. She's the one in control and she's the one who can really change things for herself. You can be there for her, support her and be a shoulder to cry on so keep reminding her you're there for her and let her know you care and that you just want her to be okay. But at the end of the day she's the one who has got to change herself.

I hope this helps a little. If you ever need anyone to talk to feel free to shoot me a PM.

Take care.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mollie. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: :/ - August 27th 2011, 04:25 AM

Thank you both, it did help a bit.. Its just hard, because my sister doesnt want to speak to me ever, its only mum and dad.. i just wish she'd let me in at least, because i sort of know what shes going through, with the self harm and depression, but im not gonna force her.. I just with i could help, because she isnt letting anyone in

-Aristotle

The one who
makes you cry
isn't worth your tears.
The one who
is worth your
tears would never
make you cry.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kristen1995 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kristen

Re: :/ - August 28th 2011, 01:19 PM

You didn't give enough details about your sister, so I have a few questions here:

1. Is her depression the only cause of her self-destructive behaviour?
2. Why doesn't your sister talk to you?
3. How is the relationship between your sis and parents?
4. Is there anyone who she cares for/loves dearly?

Although your sis doesn't talk to you, you still need to show that you cares about/loves her, e.g. in words and even hugs if she allows you to. You are sisters. Whatever happened between you, I think that she would love you back if you showed your love to her. Kids her age want to feel loved and cared, especially when they suffer from depression and feel vulnerable. They need people to keep telling/showing that they are loved. A lot of time their self-worth is dependent on what people think of them as. Even though your dad may be right about the attention thing, she does need professional help and extra attention.

It is not length of life, but depth of life.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mollie. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: :/ - September 4th 2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen1995 View Post
You didn't give enough details about your sister, so I have a few questions here:

1. Is her depression the only cause of her self-destructive behaviour?
2. Why doesn't your sister talk to you?
3. How is the relationship between your sis and parents?
4. Is there anyone
who she cares for/loves dearly?
Although your sis doesn't talk to you, you still need to show that you cares about/loves her, e.g. in words and even hugs if she allows you to. You are sisters. Whatever happened between you, I think that she would love you back if you showed your love to her. Kids her age want to feel loved and cared, especially when they suffer from depression and feel vulnerable. They need people to keep telling/showing that they are loved. A lot of time their self-worth is dependent on what people think of them as. Even though your dad may be right about the attention thing, she does need professional help and extra attention.
How on earth would i know? The relationship is fine. And are you fucking kidding me? Of course, what do you think her family is to her?
You don't think we dont know that?! Why do you think she is in the mental health place she needs watching 24/7 its that bad.

-Aristotle

The one who
makes you cry
isn't worth your tears.
The one who
is worth your
tears would never
make you cry.

Closed Thread