TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Strife Offline
Average Joe

Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 06:04 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Have any of you used self harm as a way to forget about something you'd really rather not think about? Or as a way to just stop a specific feeling, and then it becomes harder to remember ever feeling like that in the first place?
I'll do it consciously lately, think of the feeling and how I Do Not Want to feel that way anymore, as I'm SH'ing. In order to try to make it go away.
Is that..normal, or as normal as anything involving SH can be?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lullaby857 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 07:53 AM

Look, there are easier ways to distract yourself. I used to be like that. Whenever I just couldn't stop thinking about something that was bothering me, I'd cut, and I'd stop thinking about it and feel better, but then I'd feel even worse after and have to deal with the stupid scars.

I used to think that I could never stop wanting to cut. But I did it. I managed to conquer those feelings, and now I don't cut anymore. I found another outlet. Whenever I feel like cutting, I write. Not like write down my feelings like everyone says, but I write stories to let my emotions out. Now, that's what I do whenever I need a distraction. I channel my feelings into something productive.

Everyone can get through this. I didn't think the feelings would ever go away. But they did, and they can for you too. You just need to believe. Good luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 01:19 PM

Well, I've self-harmed to try and not think about something, like a bad thought, an argument, etc. I've used self-harm to vent anger on myself instead of to other people. Along with various other reasons (though mostly by impulse, so I'm not always sure).

Self-harm is simple, but complex. Many people have different triggers, methods, areas, etc. But, there are different ways to avoid these urges, whatever your reason. Try the Alternatives Thread.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 05:01 PM

While I can admit to having done that, it's mainly for the adrenaline rush that takes away all of my thoughts. But in the long run, it's bad, because it turns into the normal reaction for negative feelings, and it's dangerous.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xLyricallyx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lyric

Re: Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 05:10 PM

I'm in no way promoting self harm, but it does make me forget things because I'm consentrating on how to hide my scars. I'd suggest the list of alternatives, but it's already been posted. Hope you can work through whatever's making you sh soon

"i thought we'd escape. i packed a fishing line and counted on it"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 05:51 PM

I do it mainly for the adrenaline rush. Which makes me focus on here and now. Not the past. So in a way, yes it does help me "forget" for the time being. However, I don't recommend self-harm as a way to cope with the past or to forget.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 07:07 PM

When I was younger, I used to SH thinking that I could forget.. but I was never able to. Now I realize that SH actually helped me remember things.. feelings, places, people.. And it became this terrible thing, because the more I did it, the more I remembered.

Even though I'm the opposite as you, it's still best to find an alternative as soon as you can. It really isn't healthy to use SH as a method of forgetting/remembering.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 07:28 PM

I use SH to distract myself from some thought or feeling. I focus on the cutting instead of the feeling. Of course, there are a lot better alternatives out there.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: Self harm as a way to forget? - August 26th 2011, 08:52 PM

I used to use self harm alot to block things out. I still do use self harm as a way to block certain feeling and emotions out that i didn't want to feel. I'm not very good at dealing with feelings or emotions so it was a good wany of making sure i didnt have to deal with it. But now i am trying to find a way to get round it, i havent found anything yet, although i did start to write songs, that was a bit of a relief for me. They're not very good but they are the one thing that is there to describe how i feel without me having to feel it. But different things suit different people. But i will let you know if i find a way to get around it. Just stay strong! It is all i can say!
PM me if you need anything.

Remember, you can never change the past, but you can learn to live with it.

Closed Thread